The Anthology

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Re: The Anthology

Postby Kevin Caywood » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:27 pm

The World Tonight wrote:Been listening to the Anthology since I bought the Super Deluxe edition a month ago. It's a good overview of the bands career with Disc 3 being the main selling point for me. Is it expensive? Yes. Could there have been more rarities included? Definitely.
Regarding the TOTP videos, I'm nearly sure there was a performance of AIEW filmed that's not included here. Anyone else remember this?

Yes it's not a definite complete set. But there's always more possibilities in the future??
There's the US on air performances of The Lebanon on American Bandstand, Louise on Solid Gold, Don't You Want Me on Jimmy Kimmel Live.
There was once a song called Weekend...
I'm sure there's other remixes in the vault...
Kevin Caywood

Postby Danny C » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:44 pm

The World Tonight wrote:Regarding the TOTP videos, I'm nearly sure there was a performance of AIEW filmed that's not included here. Anyone else remember this?

You're quite correct, it's even on Youtube.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't on the main TOTP programme on BBC1 as AIEW wasn't a hit (it didn't quite scrape into the top 40) so it was relegated to the secondary TOTP2 show that was screened on BBC2 a Saturday (?) evening.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby The World Tonight » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:43 pm

Danny C wrote:
The World Tonight wrote:Regarding the TOTP videos, I'm nearly sure there was a performance of AIEW filmed that's not included here. Anyone else remember this?

You're quite correct, it's even on Youtube.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't on the main TOTP programme on BBC1 as AIEW wasn't a hit (it didn't quite scrape into the top 40) so it was relegated to the secondary TOTP2 show that was screened on BBC2 a Saturday (?) evening.

Found it. TOTP2 is right.
https://youtu.be/qoL8fpeqL70
The World Tonight

Postby Panzermensch » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Finally got my hands on the 3cd/dvd editon and I have to say I love it. You can always argue if there should/could be more content, but the demo cd, the dvd and the packaging makes it all worthwhile for me. Great to hear the early versions in such fine quality (big up to Beevers!) and see some of the old TOTP performances in decent quality. And I love the 12" format of the box, very cool. To be honest I never expected a release of this magniutude at this point in their career so I'm thrilled to hold such a nice HL item in my sweaty hands. Don't get Martyn Ware's moaning, he's mentioned plenty on the first few pages on the biography, there's several pictures of him and over the 4 discs there's 11 tracks from his time in the band, what more does he want? Over the moon to be mentioned in the credits for the small contribution I made to the booklet :) (I have to live with the fact I'm attached to Stig's name and it looks like we're a couple!)
Panzermensch

Postby negative1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:10 am

ok, i waited for awhile, and found a copy of the super deluxe version for US$75,
which i consider more than a fair price.

should be here in a few weeks, then i can check out the book, and videos.

later
negative1

Postby crowbaby » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:47 am

negative1 wrote:ok, i waited for awhile, and found a copy of the super deluxe version for US$75,

Do you have a link?
crowbaby

Postby negative1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:27 pm

crowbaby wrote:
negative1 wrote:ok, i waited for awhile, and found a copy of the super deluxe version for US$75,

Do you have a link?

sorry, it was a one copy only price on discogs from a seller in israel.
i can pm you the info if you want to see if they can get another copy.

later
negative1

Postby crowbaby » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks, that's ok...I'll eventually get it. Not in a real hurry for it at the moment :)
crowbaby

Postby negative1 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:23 am

crowbaby wrote:Thanks, that's ok...I'll eventually get it. Not in a real hurry for it at the moment :)

actually, importcds on ebay, is selling at $85 with free shipping from the US, which works out to be about the same.

later
negative1

Postby JJAM » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:27 pm

I guess the replacement booklets haven't been printed yet.
JJAM

Postby loveaction » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:42 pm

Guess not, still waiting for mine to drop through the letter box.
loveaction

Postby Electric Dream » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:50 pm

I went to Fopp for it but it's still pull price in there. £13 for the 2 CD version but it's the dvd I really want so I'm not buying that one :)
Electric Dream

Postby cs15 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:51 pm

So The Anthology limped into the very lower end of the album chart for 1 week (#90 something?) and then disappeared without trace. A success or not? How did the D.O.A., Marc Almond & Erasure box sets do chart wise?? I think the 2cd version of The League's anthology is extremely good value at £13 so I'm surprised it didn't chart a bit higher. Will this be the last nail in 'the hits' coffin??
cs15

Postby Danny C » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:45 pm

The low chart placing cannot really come as a surprise. Casual fans will just see it as another 'hits' package, and most will own an earlier Greatest Hits album already. So the Anthology is a release that will only be of interest to fans. However, hardcore fans will have little interest in the 2CD version, but may be priced out of the 3CD version.

I'd wager it was still a financial success though. Being a compilation of extant material, it will have cost almost nothing to put together, so the profit margin will be considerable.
Danny C

Postby GrandsonofJoCallis » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:11 pm

So - what's with the lack of reviews of the Anthology? As far as I can see over here in the US there was an Irish Times review and some websites. Not much else. Was it even sent out to Q, Mojo and the rest. Nothing in the Guardian?
GrandsonofJoCallis

Postby Danny C » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 pm

It was reviewed in Classic Pop, Record Collector and Uncut, at least.

Newspapers tend to be very selective about what they review due to the sheer volume of music released these days.
Danny C

Postby negative1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 am

finally got my copy.

very pleased with the package, and the booklet. although i plan to rescan it, and convert it into
a real hardcover book. (will probably be reduced in size).

i'm still reading it, but i did look at all the pictures. yes, there is a huge lack of content about
the early version of the league, but there are only so many pages, and so much you can put into it.

about the price, i think that considering if the book was half the price of the package (?), that it
is now at a reduced point, and well worth it for fans that want the book too. if you only want
the music and the dvd, it would be better to still wait for further price drops, which are going
to happen.

later
negative1

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:21 am

Just placed my order this morning! ;)
sarah t

Postby GrandsonofJoCallis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:34 pm

New Start - the earlier version of All I ever wanted is IMHO better than the original. I think this slower version could have been a real hit (though not convinced by some of the new middle eight bits which are lyrically crap).

The Colin Thurston Crash tracks seem to suggest that Jam and Lewis really didn't add a lot more to the tracks written by the HL. Almost incomprehensible how they did not release Love on the Run. Could have been a big hit. INYL (AGGH!)

The Romantic tracks are also really great and IMHO much better than what ended up on the album. Romantic in retrospect seems like a really sad botched affair. There is half an album of really great tracks - HLAW, STAG, Rebound, SGO, A Doorway, LGTG and then some complete cheesy crap which suggests a complete breakdown of quality control. Its really hard to understand how they got so close to making a good album with Romantic. The older A Doorway is much better but then they kind of completely messed it up. The production still sounds really muddy. Rebound is brilliant but then you end up with a cover of the Glitter Band which is like some kind of electro Shawaddywaddy? Its up there with Rock Me as one of Oakey's worse cover ideas....ever....
GrandsonofJoCallis

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am

Got mine at the weekend!!! yippee! it is fantastic! =D

Wasn't expecting such a large item (12" square like a vinyl LP but much heavier) but it certainly looks high quality.

Although there are discs one (62 mins) and two (55:30) I headed immediately to disc three (73 mins) which is for me the highlight of the anthology. Loved the alternate versions particularly those connected the 'Crash' album, not as harsh and abrasive as the originals. Interesting elsewhere to hear songs without 'the girls' backing vocals on them. I liked the writing in the large soft colour booklet which made me have a very warm nostalgic feeling inside and reminded me just why I love this group so much! It seems like a very good 'fully loaded' DVD with three new promos never seen on general release. Some interesting 'At The BBC' stuff here... I hadn't seen the '(Keep Feeling) Fascination' TotP before and liked the similar line up of six band members also featured on the TotP performances of 'Tell Me When'.... very street busker like I think. I suppose most of their TV performances aside from Jules Holland were mimed, still it is great to have a chance to see these on DVD.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Yeah I listened to disk 3 first, actually I copied all 3 so I wouldn't damage them in my car. Don't want to have to buy this package again!
SubHuman

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:25 am

http://www.mtv.com/news/2972268/human-l ... al-future/

A very pleasant review of their career and highlighting Anthology from MTV
Kevin Caywood

Postby crowbaby » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:17 am

Kevin Caywood wrote:http://www.mtv.com/news/2972268/human-league-radical-future/

Yeah, not bad but the writer sounds like they stopped listening after CRASH.... :rolleyes:
crowbaby

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:07 pm

Here's the recent review from Uncut magazine - http://www.uncut.co.uk/reviews/album/hu ... izer-group
Knowlesy

Postby Danny C » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 pm

crowbaby wrote:
Kevin Caywood wrote:http://www.mtv.com/news/2972268/human-league-radical-future/

Yeah, not bad but the writer sounds like they stopped listening after CRASH.... :rolleyes:

They're American, so they probably did.
Danny C

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion