The Anthology

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

The Anthology

Postby The World Tonight » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:29 am

So, we're getting an Anthology to partner the new tour. Let's hope the gates of the infamous League vaults are thrown wide open & we get stuff we don't even know we're missing. What are you hoping for?
User avatar
The World Tonight
Member
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:50 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: The Anthology

Postby cs15 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:57 am

This could be great. Doesn't have to be another 'hits' collection. It could be a treasure trove of League rarities and even a new track or two.
User avatar
cs15
Member
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:26 am

I do hope it's more than another hits collection; the world really doesn't need another one. Since the Beatles did it 'anthology' has shifted its meaning in album terms to generally mean previously unreleased archive material. Fingers cautiously crossed!

I wonder if the band have got the rights to the Virgin catalogue back? I know Andy Partridge has been reissuing the XTC albums on his own label. Though whoever owns Virgin these days is more likely to want to hold on to the likes of Dare compared to XTC's albums, I bet it still brings in some revenue.
DJ Ian Aitch
Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am
Location: London

Re: The Anthology

Postby octopus » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:01 am

It could mean absolutely anything at this point so I wouldnt dare to speculate.
Hope it's something interesting what ever it is.
octopus
Member
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:38 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:11 am

Yep, to me it means 'the singles'. But I could be wrong (on this one occasion) ;)
Electric Dream
Member
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: London

Re: The Anthology

Postby octopus » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:23 am

I hope your wrong ED.
I know there aren't any with every single on but would there be any interest?I don't know.
Hope it's something more.
octopus
Member
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:38 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby cs15 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:02 pm

It would be really ridiculous for us to try and guess what 'Anthology' may contain so lets do that. =D

So obviously it'll have to contain 'the hits' in some form. :rolleyes:
But The League's vault doors could be thrown wide open for us to rumble through with our sticky hands and impatient eyes.

Could we get to hear Millions? How about Into The Groove or the discarded tracks from the first Hysteria sessions? What if they include some unseen live footage? Oh dear I may have to lie down. :lol:

If it's released later in the year to support the tour then maybe after all the hype they could possibly realease a new album in 2017 their 40th anniversary year? Yes i do need to lie down. It's all too much excitment.
User avatar
cs15
Member
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:19 pm

OK, you know what else I also think......

I think an 'Anthology' seems quite final, so maybe this is the last album and tour they'll do :/ =| =(
Electric Dream
Member
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: London

Re: The Anthology

Postby cs15 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:50 pm

Jaysus ED. Downer or what? :O
User avatar
cs15
Member
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:14 pm

Electric Dream wrote:OK, you know what else I also think......

I think an 'Anthology' seems quite final, so maybe this is the last album and tour they'll do :/ =| =(


That crossed my mind too...it could be a box set of all the albums and stray tracks, a 'complete works' maybe with some new songs included (well we can dream).

The Human League are one of the few bands who seem to have escaped those cheapo card sleeve boxes of 5 or 6 albums that sell for about £10. Maybe it's one of those. But I hope not.
DJ Ian Aitch
Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am
Location: London

Re: The Anthology

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:14 pm

If you disregard all the dodgy Greatest Hits being released without the bands knowledge/approval, it's actually 13 years ago they did one. I'm optimistic - could be they have control now, and can do something speciel - I doubt it's their final release/tour.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
User avatar
Stig Olsen
Member
 
Posts: 2941
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:04 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: The Anthology

Postby KnitOnePearlOne » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:06 pm

'Anthology' means 'fill up your pension pot before you hit state retirement age' in financial planning speak...ho ho hum.
KnitOnePearlOne
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:00 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby StevieD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:08 am

KnitOnePearlOne wrote:'Anthology' means 'fill up your pension pot before you hit state retirement age' in financial planning speak...ho ho hum.

So plenty more anthologys to come then looking at the rate the goalposts are still being moved
User avatar
StevieD
Member
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Somewhere in the distance

Re: The Anthology

Postby KnitOnePearlOne » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:13 am

...but not many tours given the frequency The 'League do them...
KnitOnePearlOne
Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:00 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby cs15 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:28 pm

This sounds disappointing:

'Compiled by the band themselves, ‘A Very British Synthesizer Group’ is a stunning 2-CD anthology spanning four decades of The Human League’s groundbreaking adventures in electronic music. For the first time, it gathers together the highlights from their entire career from each of the labels the band have recorded for and includes the huge chart hits plus a brace of previously unreleased DJ and Radio edits.

A 2 cd collection - like we've had before?
Mixes and edits - like we've had before?

Oh dear. Was hoping for a box set with CDs, vinyl, DVD etc and unreleased stuff but NOT more forgettable mixes.
User avatar
cs15
Member
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby Electric Dream » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:04 pm

I totally forgot that I was offered a 'Ticket and CD' option when booking for Brighton. I just ignored it as I was in a ticket panic! I'd rather buy it when it's released anyway that pay now. They've got enough of my money this month :P
Electric Dream
Member
 
Posts: 1917
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: London

Re: The Anthology

Postby StevieD » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:50 pm

http://www.alt-tickets.co.uk/the-human- ... 2-09-19-00

Event Information
Pre-order the new album now!
We're delighted to offer our customers the chance to pre-order the brand new CD from The Human League: 'A Very British Synthesizer Group - The Anthology'
Price: £10 (inc p+p).
The expected release date is 16th September 2016 - we will inform you is this is going to change.
This offer is open to UK residents only.
User avatar
StevieD
Member
 
Posts: 1316
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 11:35 pm
Location: Somewhere in the distance

Re: The Anthology

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:27 pm

cs15 wrote:This sounds disappointing:

'Compiled by the band themselves, ‘A Very British Synthesizer Group’ is a stunning 2-CD anthology spanning four decades of The Human League’s groundbreaking adventures in electronic music. For the first time, it gathers together the highlights from their entire career from each of the labels the band have recorded for and includes the huge chart hits plus a brace of previously unreleased DJ and Radio edits.

A 2 cd collection - like we've had before?
Mixes and edits - like we've had before?

Oh dear. Was hoping for a box set with CDs, vinyl, DVD etc and unreleased stuff but NOT more forgettable mixes.


Colour me underwhelmed.
DJ Ian Aitch
Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am
Location: London

Re: The Anthology

Postby cs15 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:30 pm

So if it is just another hits compilation then it's just ANOTHER hits tour. Jesus wept. Can't keep living on past glories. Big deal that might have Night People and AIEW on there. Wow! :O
User avatar
cs15
Member
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby loveaction » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:52 pm

cs15 wrote:So if it is just another hits compilation then it's just ANOTHER hits tour. Jesus wept. Can't keep living on past glories. Big deal that might have Night People and AIEW on there. Wow! :O


Quite depressing isn't it. No wonder they have to advertise the tour practically a year in advance, knowing full well it will be Hits and nothing else. I do wonder what goes on in the minds of the group, as they announce a new tour, the chance to do something different, yet it will be the same old white stage, multi costume changes, Phil in sunglasses etc, etc, nothing different from the last 10 - 15 years.
The CD would be an ideal chance to put some of the rarer stuff on it, Canadian promo remix of You'll Be Sorry for example, bet we don't get anything rare like that. It probably wont even include the lesser known singles or anything pre Dare except ESH and Being Boiled I expect.
Even a special Ltd version with an extra disc or something to excite the fans, but I guess doing it this way Virgin or someone have given them a load of money to promote a "Hits" compilation hence the tour being to Northern Europe and more UK venues.

Am quite sad now, thinking of what it could have been and what its likely to be, both are quite different, maybe I should just make my own CD instead?
loveaction
Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: The Anthology

Postby cs15 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Don't give up all hope just yet. There's a teeny tiny chance that we could be wrong.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
User avatar
cs15
Member
 
Posts: 3845
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby octopus » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:19 pm

It would be nice if it at least included a new single,which would get radio 2 onboard for some promotion.September is an odd time for a GH comp.
octopus
Member
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 6:38 pm

Re: The Anthology

Postby Murfy » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:34 am

The GH's are a given - We know this as they'll want to sell as many units as possible - What casual fan would buy something that doesnt have the stuff they actually know?

For us more fanatical fans (which we are, lets face it :) ) - As it won't be released till September, maybe the content isn't set in stone yet? Maybe some positive feedback & some well-placed suggestions on here & Facebook might move the immovable perhaps ;)

Murf x
Murfy
Member
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:11 am
Location: Coventry

Re: The Anthology

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:48 pm

Do we know who is putting this out? I don't think it would necessarily be whoever owns the Virgin brand any more.


My one hope is if this is just singles with 'edits' then we might get decent remasters of the proper 7" versions of The Sound Of The Crowd and Love Action rather than the sodding album versions again.

Off the top of my head these singles were different to the album versions:

Rock N Roll (without Nightclubbing)
Toyota City (long version)
The Sound Of The Crowd (re-recorded? for Dare)
Love Action (7" edit, long version on 12" and Dare)
The Lebanon (7" edit, longer version on Hysteria)
Love Is All That Matters (7" edit)
Heart Like A Wheel (there's a fairly common 'DJ edit' promo 7")
Soundtrack To A Generation (7" edit)
Tell Me When (single edit loses about 9 seconds)

Plus the Australian version of Marianne.

So trying to be upbeat maybe there will be an extra blu-ray with surround sound mixes? Or a special multi format version aimed online at the hardcore so these weirdos who only buy things they know every single track on aren't scared off (heaven forbid they should find to their delight that they like some Human League tracks they've not heard before).
DJ Ian Aitch
Member
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am
Location: London

Re: The Anthology

Postby loveaction » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:43 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:Do we know who is putting this out? I don't think it would necessarily be whoever owns the Virgin brand any more.


My one hope is if this is just singles with 'edits' then we might get decent remasters of the proper 7" versions of The Sound Of The Crowd and Love Action rather than the sodding album versions again.

Off the top of my head these singles were different to the album versions:

Rock N Roll (without Nightclubbing)
Toyota City (long version)
The Sound Of The Crowd (re-recorded? for Dare)
Love Action (7" edit, long version on 12" and Dare)
The Lebanon (7" edit, longer version on Hysteria)
Love Is All That Matters (7" edit)
Heart Like A Wheel (there's a fairly common 'DJ edit' promo 7")
Soundtrack To A Generation (7" edit)
Tell Me When (single edit loses about 9 seconds)

Plus the Australian version of Marianne.

So trying to be upbeat maybe there will be an extra blu-ray with surround sound mixes? Or a special multi format version aimed online at the hardcore so these weirdos who only buy things they know every single track on aren't scared off (heaven forbid they should find to their delight that they like some Human League tracks they've not heard before).



According to the disclaimer at the bottom of the page when I booked my ticket, its the Universal Music Group who are releasing this, aren't they the owners of the Virgin stuff?

I agree with Ian, would be good if the original version of SOTC and others were included just to make it a bit different, but at £10, it isn't going to be up to much I sadly think and the chance for anything "rare" I guess will be limited. What a wasted opportunity.
loveaction
Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Scotland

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron