The Anthology

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Re: The Anthology

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Danny C wrote:
crowbaby wrote:
Kevin Caywood wrote:http://www.mtv.com/news/2972268/human-league-radical-future/

A very pleasant review of their career and highlighting Anthology from MTV

Yeah, not bad but the writer sounds like they stopped listening after CRASH.... :rolleyes:

They're American, so they probably did.

I look at it this way. Danny you're correct to the casual 80s listener, that true to an extent. I know other Americans who are fans that are familiar with their catalog. For myself I can say the same thing for lets say David Bowie. I like him and his songs that was US hits. But I haven't gone beyond that to listen to his whole catalog.
To answer Karen... She did end the interview claiming to like the past, present and future of the League. Obviously she's aware of Phil style today saying wearing a suit and lipstick. My feeling is an editor looked at what she wrote and was only interested in the hits and history. American journalism where corporate culture only cares about crunching numbers and winning...
Kevin Caywood

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:41 pm

GrandsonofJoCallis wrote:The Colin Thurston Crash tracks seem to suggest that Jam and Lewis really didn't add a lot more to the tracks written by the HL. Almost incomprehensible how they did not release Love on the Run. Could have been a big hit. INYL (AGGH!)

My theory, and it is only a theory, is that part of the deal of getting Jam & Lewis involved was that they got a minimum number of tracks they wrote or co-wrote on the album and that the singles would also be only chosen from their songs. That would mean more potential royalties for them so they may have accepted a lower production fee. I’m sure the band have commented that most of the work went on Human as it was decided early on it would the lead single. It might explain why I Need Your Loving was chosen over stronger band-written material as goodness knows no other reason makes any sense.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby Danny C » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:52 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:My theory, and it is only a theory, is that part of the deal of getting Jam & Lewis involved was that they got a minimum number of tracks they wrote or co-wrote on the album and that the singles would also be only chosen from their songs. That would mean more potential royalties for them so they may have accepted a lower production fee. I’m sure the band have commented that most of the work went on Human as it was decided early on it would the lead single. It might explain why I Need Your Loving was chosen over stronger band-written material as goodness knows no other reason makes any sense.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there was something in this. Or it could even be as simple as the fact that the Jam & Lewis tracks were chosen because they were the hottest producers on the planet at the time.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby negative1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31 pm

i am currently looking into converting the softcover book, into hardcover.

its going to cost $70 for a 12x12 book, with slipcase, standard stock paper.
square 7x7 is $40 and 8x10 and 10x8 are both $50

i will reformat some of the pages, make the text darker and easier to read, and fix
some images to make them properly joined,

some of the scans are blurry and low resolution, and if i can find higher resolution scans
i can use those instead.

samples:
-----------------------

later
Last edited by negative1 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
negative1

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:26 am

Is it really worth converting the soft cover booklet into hard cover? I've had Anthology a while and looked at the booklet once to be honest.
SubHuman

Postby negative1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:30 am

SubHuman wrote:Is it really worth converting the soft cover booklet into hard cover? I've had Anthology a while and looked at the booklet once to be honest.

For me, yes.

I have done it with other booklets (the cabaret voltaire boxset came with a soft covered one).

And although, i won't be reading it that often. It preserves the state of the original booklet better, and I think
in a few cases, it was supposed to be hard cover originally.

Also, it will be an improvement, as it will be easier to read, and I'm going to replace some of the low resolution
scans, with sharper ones. Also, some of the scans are of worn out covers, and there are better ones available.

later
negative1

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Fair enough :)
SubHuman

Postby octopus » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:03 pm

I was under the impression that the band chose INYL as a single and virgin wanted to release are you ever coming back,after the failure of INYL,the band wanted to release Love on the run,virgin didn't so there was a stale mate and nothing got released.
octopus

Postby negative1 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:28 am

well, despite the issues, and criticisms of the boxset.

virgin, did send out replacement booklets and tracklisting sheet.

got mine today (in US), so now i have an extra booklet, which
i gave to my brother.

later
negative1

Postby crowbaby » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:57 am

Amazon (Italy) now has it at a reduced price, so I finally bought it ;) Saved myself $40!
crowbaby

Postby sarah t » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:41 pm

crowbaby wrote:Amazon (Italy) now has it at a reduced price, so I finally bought it ;) Saved myself $40!

Good bit of internet surfing there and congrats on finding such a great saving... hope it arrives soon and is undamaged in transit from Europe to you! Like me and many others you are going to absolutely love it!!! =D
sarah t

Postby crowbaby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:14 am

sarah t wrote:
crowbaby wrote:Amazon (Italy) now has it at a reduced price, so I finally bought it ;) Saved myself $40!

Good bit of internet surfing there and congrats on finding such a great saving... hope it arrives soon and is undamaged in transit from Europe to you! Like me and many others you are going to absolutely love it!!! =D

Cheers, I look forward to receiving it!
crowbaby

Postby crowbaby » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:37 am

I know I am very late to the party, but I received my copy today! Good thing I already ordered the reprints from Universal!
Had an international guest with me for the unboxing, via video, the one and only Joe :lol:
crowbaby

Postby the snake » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:50 am

:lol: That was interesting Karen.
Like kid opening xmas present.
and that was just me!
Enjoy :cool:
the snake

Postby cs15 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Saw the Anthology (3 x vinyl version) on sale in Dublin today for €75!
That's only approx: 60 of your British pound notes. AND it was in an actual record shop! Not even online.
cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:03 pm

cs15 wrote:Saw the Anthology (3 x vinyl version) on sale in Dublin today for €75!
That's only approx: 60 of your British pound notes. AND it was in an actual record shop! Not even online.

Where did you spot that Patric?
Knowlesy

Postby cs15 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Head Music, Liffey Valley
cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks for the info :)
Knowlesy

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 am

Finally got my deluxe CD copy of this yesterday :D Was out last night so haven't had a chance to even look through the booklet thing yet :o
Thanks to people getting me Amazon vouchers for my birthday, I only actually paid £4.99 for it :P
Electric Dream

Postby Electric Dream » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:15 pm

Can anyone tell me why they had new booklets sent so I can check whether mine is the correct one or not? In terms of tracklisting - do you mean what was on the back of the box? Mine has a sheet stuck onto it, rather than being printed on the box. Can't tell if it's covering up an original print.

oh - apparently it is now available for £40 in HMV (in store only) :)
Electric Dream

Postby octopus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:02 pm

ED I would imagine that your will be the same as everyone else's,as I doubt they have repressed it.
So they all a have the sheet backing that's lists 25 rather than 24 tracks on the DVD this is also the issue with the booklet too.
octopus

Postby cs15 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:03 pm

And 'Don't You Want Me' is incorrectly titled as 'Don't You Want Me Baby'
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:27 pm

cs15 wrote:And 'Don't You Want Me' is incorrectly titled as 'Don't You Want Me Baby'

Surely this is some sort of joke, on account of the number of music journalists who get it wrong.
SubHuman

Postby negative1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:56 pm

SubHuman wrote:
cs15 wrote:And 'Don't You Want Me' is incorrectly titled as 'Don't You Want Me Baby'

Surely this is some sort of joke, on account of the number of music journalists who get it wrong.

Where is this.. not on the booklet, or back cover, or cd? and not on the fixed one...
checked all the pictures and scans i made..... don't see it...

later
negative1

Postby cs15 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 am

It's on the sheet on the back of the box set. Well it is on mine.
cs15

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion