Fantasy Record Exec pt. II: Hysteria!

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Fantasy Record Exec pt. II: Hysteria!

Postby dtraversscott » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:20 am

Enjoyed the last thread on Fascination/an imaginary Dare followup!

Inviting responses this time for that difficult child, Hysteria. If you were in charge, what would you have changed? This can include not only track listings, but single releases, artwork, album title, general marketing campaign, release schedules, etc. This isn't "living in the past," whining about what went wrong, but just having fun imaging what could've been done differently :)

Trav's Reimagining Hysteria:
1. Concept: The 'adult' League, more contemplative and thoughtful after the party singles of the recent past. Promote it as a tripped-down, calmer album of songs about unrequited and lost love. Something like Depeche Mode's A Broken Frame, but better.

2. Title: Life on Your Own -- captures theme of album, promotes single, and doesn't cause the false expectations of 'Hysteria.' (Yes, I know the band felt that way about the recording process, but the album doesn't really sound hysterical at all. Uncertain, maybe, but not hysterical.)

3. Tracklisting for vinyl LP, est. 45 min total time:

A1 Thirteen -- cut current version at false ending appx. 3:30
A2 I Love You Too Much 3:26
A3 The Sign -- edit of the 'remixed for dancing' version 3:46
A4 Louise 4:55
A5 The World Tonight 4:06

B1 Life on Your Own 4:06
B2 I'm Coming Back 4:07
B3 So Hurt 3:53
B4 Betrayed 4:02
B5 Thirteen (reprise) -- Just the bit after the current version false ending appx. 30

Single 1
A I Love You Too Much (with strong dance remixes also commissioned)
B The Lebanon

Single 2
A Louise (with remixes, maybe an a cappella version and dance version)
B Rock Me Again and Again and Again and Again and Again and Again (Six Times)

Single 3
A Life on Your Own (with remixes)
B Don't You Know I Want You

Yes, I'm evil, The Lebanon at the time really turned me off the League. Making it a bside curiosity as opposed to lead single for the new album, in my fantasy world, allows the discovery and enjoyment of the album to unfold much more naturally. Likewise I've put the two other rock/funk tracks as bsides.
_________________ This trial you'll tolerate __________________________
dtraversscott

Re: Fantasy Record Exec pt. II: Hysteria!

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:24 pm

I think I'm Coming Back would have made a good single, perhaps as the first one from the album. But I know the band were quite sniffy about being seen as making 'a comeback' claiming they'd never gone anywhere . I don't think the choices from Hysteria were that wise, Life On Your Own is a perfectly decent song, but it's not really a single. Louise...is the sort of song I really don't like, being much too slow for me. But again I can see as a song it's decent and has been covered quite a few times. The Sign would have been a decent single, certainly better than making Louise. (Similarly I think the band threw away These Are The Days by making it the b-side to One Man In My Heart). The World Tonight was also more than good enough to go on the album.

Hysteria is what it is. I don't think anyone would disagree that it is the pedestrian production that lets it down. Where Dare sparkled, Hysteria plods. I know the band (or at least Philip) said he wanted an 'empty' production to against the prevailing OTT Trevor Horn style that very much the vogue in the UK in 1984.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby marcelm25 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:48 pm

Still, Hysteria remains a brilliant album :-)
marcelm25

Postby dtraversscott » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:45 am

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:I think I'm Coming Back would have made a good single

Don't some of the video performances and such suggest it was considered for a single?
dtraversscott

Postby dtraversscott » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:47 am

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:I think the band threw away These Are The Days by making it the b-side to One Man In My Heart.

Agreed. Get Together Again and Kiss the Future were lost opportunities on Romantic? as well.
dtraversscott

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:19 am

dtraversscott wrote:
DJ Ian Aitch wrote:I think I'm Coming Back would have made a good single

Don't some of the video performances and such suggest it was considered for a single?

I think there was also a remix done for it but it was not released? I haven't watched it yet but isn't the audio on the version on the DVD slightly different to the album version?
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby GrandsonofJoCallis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:53 pm

If you replace Rock Me (Six Times) with Fascination, Betrayed with Mirror Man and you added You Remind me of Gold you would have had a much better received album. Shame they put this material on the Fascination EP! and were too punk to duplicate. It would have been an awesome album with this changes and had singles that placed 2, 2, 11, 16 and 13 in the charts. As good as Dare!
GrandsonofJoCallis

Return to General discussion