Anthology booklet - rewriting history?

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Re: Anthology booklet - rewriting history?

Postby Marianna » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:21 pm

I too am surprised the Mouthy Mr Ware hasn't written/released a book long ago as he seems to love pity. Also it's very true that we got 2 good bands thanks to Mr Last. On the other hand as someone pointed out on Facebook once Martyn and Phil could have done great things if they had reconciled at the time. But they didn't so that is that.
As for Virgin dumping them - I did read somewhere that at the making of Sound of the Crowd they were on their last chance.
So if Boys and Girls hadn't reached 48 the highest for any League single so far at the time Virgin probably would given them the bullet.

A reunion would be great - what about asking Stig nicely if he'll sponsor it... or we could crowdfund it????
Marianna

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Marianna wrote:A reunion would be great - what about asking Stig nicely if he'll sponsor it... or we could crowdfund it????
Not sure what the hell you are smoking....
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby Marianna » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi Stig

I knew that last bit would get your attention!!!
Marianna

Re: Re:Anthology booklet - rewriting history?

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:36 pm

Danny C wrote:I think anyone who has made an integral contribution is entitled to hold a negative opinion about being airbrushed from history.
oh I agree...if that was the case.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby GrandsonofJoCallis » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:38 am

This is one of the more interesting debates that has gone on in the forum in donkey's years. Good to see some controversy. I think its rather fascinating to see how prickly Martin and Ian are after all this time. They were in the League for what (?) 4 and 6 years respectively. Phil's been in for 38 years, Jo and Sue for 35 years. Can you imagine if you were in a work place and someone who worked there nearly three decades ago (and sure, played a big role) previously was moaning that they didn't get due credit !?! Methinks that they perhaps have sort of forgot this little matter.

Perhaps Philip doesn't want to do a Mark I tour because, well, perhaps he thinks that those two albums didn't really cut it. He said a number of times in interviews that they felt disappointed when they came home and heard the first tapes of was it Reproduction or Travelogue? They just didn't quite capture the excitement that the songs generated when played live. Jo and Sue moreover would not be happy with a MK1 tour. It's easy to underestimate the complexity of the relationships here. Martin had by all intensive purposes a very successful career after MK1. Heaven 17 were a good band that made a handful of great records and albums. His production career was/is hugely successful. At the same time, Heaven 17 never had anything like the massive cultural impact of Dare or even Mark II League. It must have been very very odd feeling that you were the talented one and then having the chips fall over the next 18 months when your ex-mate and your band becomes absolutely mega. MK II had a Beatles esque moment and there was an IMPERIAL phase following this when they cracked America and had two number 2s and it was all going swimmingly. And Martin was watching from the sidelines. That must have been very fucking hard however you deal with it.

Phil and the girls moreover not only experienced all this but they have all stood by each other for 35 years! Seemingly the three of them all get on well. Interviews suggest they still have a laugh together and after 35 years, that a pretty remarkable set of relationships that none of them want to damage.

Having said all this, I would love to see Martyn Ware drag Phil into the studio. Martyn might be prickly but he is brilliant and he's still productive and creative. Phil in contrast, for a really talented guy, is almost unfathomably unproductive. He must have young syth and keyboard people knocking at his door all the time wanting to work with him and yet nothing ever happens. He's got the most amazing voice, he can write really knock out lyrics and he's written some really beautiful melody line. He really needs an Alan Wilder to turn up at his door and help him out but nothing ever happens. I can only speculate that he iseither (i) unbelievably lazy (ii) lacking in confidence or (iii) constantly prevaricating and unable to focus. The tracks on the third disk of the anthology are very interesting in that they demonstrate how talented they all are. New Start is brilliant. Better than the single if you ask me. The alternative versions of Liar and Houseful of Nothing are brilliant. Many of the other tracks are really fantastic, The lack of productivity though is staggering. Putting out an anthology with not a single new track - the brilliant Sky is the newest piece and its five years old. I can't get my head around it?

Ian Burden's ongoing hostility is sort of interesting. From the two interviews he has given, we can gather that he basically more or less gave up on music after 1986 and focused on his financial investments. Plenty of stewing time. Nobody has mentioned how he lobbed an insult at Susan via dismissing the "god awful" One Man (according to him) Bit rough to say that on a public forum?

The only other hope I have is that Jo Callis turns up at Phil's door with his old unused material and says let record! I would have loved to have heard Phil's voice on "One for the Angels". It sounds a little bit like a mix between Flashdance and electric Dreams to me and could have been nice to hear. But by the looks of things all recording has ground to a halt - or has it?
GrandsonofJoCallis

Postby cs15 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:13 am

Interesting read.

Yeah, Phil did mention many times how disappointed they were with the finished 'Reproduction' album. But there's no way that Philip doesn't understand the importance of both Repro & Travelogue in electronic music history. Watch any programme on electronic music and they are constantly referenced as being an inspiration for people like Vince Clarke etc. He knows that if they did a Repro/Travel set of gigs that it would create a huge buzz for anyone interested in electronic music. Far more interest and press than a 'standard' League tour. Would it sell as many tickets? Of course not!

It really would be ideal to have Jo work on some League songs again but only if they did a 'back to basics' electro record. God forbid that we'd get another Hysteria. Jo's career post League hasn't exactly been stellar. He hasn't produced a whole lot (that I've heard of anyway) in the 30 years since leaving The League. It's nice though that at least 1 ex League member is still on speaking terms with them. I'm sure Jo could get Phil productive again. Let's hope so.
cs15

Postby Pauline » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 am

For the record, "twat" in Scotland just means idiot, twit, numpty. It's WAY more offensive south of the border I'm told!
Pauline

Postby cs15 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:23 pm

Means exactly the same in Ireland. Twat = idiot.
cs15

Postby DevinSpice » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:59 pm

Well, "twat" can mean "vagina" here in the US.
DevinSpice

Postby negative1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:
negative1 wrote:i don't have the boxset (yet)... but does it seem like a lot of left out details in the booklet?
well, first of all, the booklet is per definition an output from the band/record company, and should therefore be under their control, whereas a book by an independent could/should contain more detailed information - perhaps all the sleazy details and negative aspects of the history. I have no doubt that there has been some rewriting, but I find that quite natural based on the above.

Now, there are two versions of the booklet. The vinyl one has fewer pages than the CD/DVD Deluxe version. In both versions there are (in my book) percentage-wise the amount of photos and text about the Mk. 1 period which covers this short (and yes, crucial) period of time. More importantly, the music and videos are covered completely.

thanks for that,

the first half of the 'perfect pop' book by nash is about the early human league,
and i think it has a slight anti ware and ian marsh slant to it.

will have to read it again now.

by the way, just for the record, i am a huge heaven 17 fan, and i think they are actually on par and in fact better overall
when it comes to their albums and singles in comparison for me. however, even though they don't have an album as good
as dare, or with the impact of it. although the luxury gap for me is close, and penthouse and pavement also made a huge
impact.

anyway, i guess i didn't want to start a human league vs heaven 17 war, but it is interesting to see the development
and current situations of both groups.

later
negative1

Postby StevieD » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:37 am

This was put on YouTube today by Mr Ware. It's actually a great tune as was the song Pray that I saw them playing live last year. There is a live version on YouTube (of captured) from October this year and at the end Martyn says that they now have half a new album completed.
https://youtu.be/Vd3zUHyd5Dg
StevieD

Postby cs15 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:40 am

Didn't like Pray at all. Thought it was awful, 'Captured' is better but it kinda doesn't go anywhere. It's ok, but chorus is kinda lame. I'm just not a fan of Glenn's voice, not because of a League rivalry etc but just not a fan of it. Good luck to them with new material though.

Just checked my iTunes to see what H17 stuff I have on there. 7,437 songs in my iTunes library and 5 of those are H17 tracks: Let Me Go, Trouble, This Is Mine, Come Live With Me & Contenders. Over 400 League tracks, mixes, bootlegs and covers. Think you can see where my loyalties lie. =D
cs15

Postby Panzermensch » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:53 am

cs15 wrote:Didn't like Pray at all. Thought it was awful, 'Captured' is better but it kinda doesn't go anywhere. It's ok, but chorus is kinda lame. I'm just not a fan of Glenn's voice, not because of a League rivalry etc but just not a fan of it. Good luck to them with new material though.

Just checked my iTunes to see what H17 stuff I have on there. 7,437 songs in my iTunes library and 5 of those are H17 tracks: Let Me Go, Trouble, This Is Mine, Come Live With Me & Contenders. Over 400 League tracks, mixes, bootlegs and covers. Think you can see where my loyalties lie. =D

At least they miss the dreadful funk part :p
Panzermensch

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:43 pm

OK I have re-read David's essay and I don't think that he has decided to or been asked to rewrite the history of the split of the MK. I era of the League. I'm sure he will go into a lot more detail in his book. It's clear that he has interviewed all of the people involved and I have no doubt that he will deal with this aspect and all of their history to date in a scrupulously fair manner. His essay is one of the highlights of the Anthology and I'm delighted it's in this year's programme too. What an appetiser!
His book will be the definitive history of the band. Besides all of the new and exclusive interviews with all of the key players in their story, it's the highly engaging way he mixes social and cultural history, contemporaneous interviews, reviews and articles and his own opinions that will make it totally indispensable.
Knowlesy

Postby negative1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:19 pm

ok, i finished reading the booklet also. honestly, it's pretty skimpy on information. so there's not really that much left out. since the details about the early league are vague to begin with.

i look forward to more information also.

later
negative1

Previous

Return to General discussion