Anthology booklet - rewriting history?

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Anthology booklet - rewriting history?

Postby StevieD » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 pm

From what Martin Ware was saying on Facebook, David was paid less than agreed due to pressure to re-write history and being seen as delaying matter. Martin was also rather put out that the booklet is not a reflection of history.
Perhaps david’s book will be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth ..,
StevieD

Re:Anthology booklet - rewriting history?

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 am

Martin Ware is a twat! :lol: ;)
Electric Dream

Postby octopus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Don't believe what you read in Facebook.
octopus

Postby cs15 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:16 pm

Martyn Ware at this point needs to butt the f**k out!! He hasn't been a member of The Human League for 36 years. Just think about that for a moment. Nobody gives a shit anymore that you're still upset about being 'sacked from your own band'. And in the end even Ian Craig Marsh got fed up and disappeared off the face of the earth to get away from him!

Said it before and will say it again - If Heaven 17 had been a more successful band he wouldn't be bothered by The League. The fact is that Heaven 17 just do not have the same place in the heart of the public as our Trinity heros. The resaon the public love The Human League is because of all the songs released AFTER Martyn Ware was 'dumped'.

History shows that Philip & Adrian did the right thing. Bore off Mr Ware.
cs15

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:28 pm

StevieD wrote:From what Martin Ware was saying on Facebook, David was paid less than agreed due to pressure to re-write history and being seen as delaying matter.
...and of course there are always two sides to this story, Steve.

Other than that, I agree with the above comments - how many toys can actually be thrown out of a pram during the course of 36 years!?
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby StevieD » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:48 pm

@stig well if David returns to this page we may get to hear one side 1st hand. I doubt we'll hear the other.
StevieD

Postby Danny C » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:49 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:...and of course there are always two sides to this story, Steve.

Well, indeed. A great pity that so many commentators here seem unwilling to consider one of those sides.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:13 pm

StevieD wrote:@stig well if David returns to this page we may get to hear one side 1st hand. I doubt we'll hear the other.
I'm guessing you are right.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby Marianna » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:19 am

Hello Everyone
I certainly agree that Martyn Ware is a twat and should butt out. Whining about something that happened 36 years ago is childish and immature. Does anyone hear the girls in Abba go on and on about their last few years working with their estranged husbands? And it wasn't easy working with the guys. Or Ian Burden or Adrian falling out with Phil and girls? Or Vince Clarke that he is not on the some Depeche Cover? All maintain a dignified silence.

As for Martyn Ware's argument about David Buckley being asked to rewrite history - I have no doubt that Phil and girls are not happy with some of the things he has to say but this is probably more about issues with other members which are hidden and are touchy. Phil has discussed the fallout with Martyn a lot in the past.
Probably there is some tension between Martyn and Phil even today but realistically how could anyone expect Martyn Ware to be given more than a few words on the anthology sleeve? Word count is an obvious point but also Martyn was only in the league for 3 years. He can hardly expect the whole to be devoted to him.
Therefore it is just and fair that Phil and girls who are the face of the league and have been since 1990 deserve more attention.
Martyn really needs to let go and when this has been pointed out to him he gets touchy. He should also realize there are two sides to every story and understandably Phil Oakey may have grievances too, but prefers to let it all go.
Marianna

Postby SubHuman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:13 am

We may know more if the book ever comes out! I'm not sure there's any point in speculating about these things, and I don't think Martyn Ware's a twat, where did that come from?
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 am

SubHuman wrote:I don't think Martyn Ware's a twat, where did that come from?

Absolutely bizarre, isn't it. Considered and constructive criticism of a music release is frowned upon, but out and out abuse of a man without whom we wouldn't even be here is a-ok. I find myself understanding people less and less all the time.
Danny C

Postby Marianna » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:20 pm

The comment about Martyn Ware being a twat comes from :
Re: "Electric Dreams" book by David Buckley - release date?
Postby Electric Dream » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:56 am

Martin Ware is a twat! :lol: ;)
Secondly no one is abusing Martyn Ware - it is just beyond logic how someone can go on and on like a baby in a tantrum about something that happened 36 years ago and on top of that arguing that he is not getting enough 'airtime' on the anthology sleeve when he was only in the band for 3/40 years. As for the argument that we wouldn't be hear without him, sure there'd be no league but we don't owe our own existence to him.
Marianna

Postby cs15 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Could also argue that Martyn Ware wouldn't have had the fame he had without Philip! It's his voice and lyrics that brought The League the attention that they got. Would Glenn have brought them the same publicity? I seriously doubt it. Martyn is only a part of the original League he wasn't THE only part. Sometimes he gets too much credit. Shame that Ian and Adrian are often ignored because they choose to live their lives out of the public eye.
cs15

Postby Danny C » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:44 pm

Marianna wrote:Secondly no one is abusing Martyn Ware

Really, because where I come from, calling someone a twat is generally considered abusive.

Marianna wrote:he was only in the band for 3/40 years

By your logic, some session musician who has toured with the group since 2012 is more important than Martyn Ware, because they've been part of the setup for 4 years!

A better way of looking at it is that he featured on 2/9 of the band's studio albums.

He is clearly an integral part of the band's history, though to listen to some folk, you would think he was nothing more than an incidental member.

I think anyone who has made an integral contribution is entitled to hold a negative opinion about being airbrushed from history.
Danny C

Postby Marianna » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:21 pm

No Martyn Ware is not more important than someone who joined the band in 2012. I didn't say that so please stop twisting my words. I am not exactly a fan of Phil and girls but they deserve more time as they have been in the band for so long and its now their band! None is airbrushing Martyn or suggesting that he be. It is understandable that the world count on the anthology concentrate on other members of the band since its not all about him.
Marianna

Postby cs15 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:40 pm

Danny C wrote:I think anyone who has made an integral contribution is entitled to hold a negative opinion about being airbrushed from history.

Well Martyn Ware is certainly your man if you need negative League opinions. He's full of them. And all because Philip refuses to go out and do an original League tour with him. Bitter.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:27 pm

cs15 wrote:Well Martyn Ware is certainly your man if you need negative League opinions. He's full of them. And all because Philip refuses to go out and do an original League tour with him. Bitter.

Do we know that for sure?
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Know what for sure? About a Ware/Oakey set of gigs?

Martyn Ware has stated many times that he has approached Philip about doing Repro/Travelogue gigs and that he is repeatedly turned down.
cs15

Postby Electric Dream » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:10 am

I know things about Martin Ware from people who personally know him, and therefore my opinion of him is that he is a twat!

I absolutely LOVE the first two THL albums but to be honest, I'd rather see the current THL line up perform those songs live than have the original line up do it.
Electric Dream

Postby Marianna » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:22 pm

I concur with the opinion that Martyn Ware is bitter but is it really because Philip won't agree to reunite? Probably more to do with the fact tha tthe League had a number 1 single and album and his band didn't. Also the thought of 'what if I'd stayed' must be nagging Martyn a lot over the years.

Personally I'd like a reunion but it doesn't seem realistic - tensions with some members even today and we can't expect Phil to drop the girls after 30+ years for Martyn.
They have stood by him and so he should stand by them.
Marianna

Postby StevieD » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:31 pm

SubHuman wrote:
cs15 wrote:Well Martyn Ware is certainly your man if you need negative League opinions. He's full of them. And all because Philip refuses to go out and do an original League tour with him. Bitter.

Do we know that for sure?

We don't know that at all.
What I know is that the 2 of them getting together is going to happen "over my dead body" according to Tharg. He told me.
StevieD

Postby cs15 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:48 pm

So you're saying the the Manager TELLS Philip what he can and can't do??? I don't think so. I absolutely do agree that he advises him and guides him but to say that he won't allow Philip to do something??? I don't believe that!
cs15

Postby Marianna » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi Cs15, probably unlikely the Manager telling Philip what he can and can't do . Probably was the case in the early days when they were young and inexperienced but at this stage Phil is a grown man
Marianna

Postby StevieD » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:48 pm

I haven't asked Phil, I'm just telling you what the manager said. # juststickingtothefacts
StevieD

Postby cs15 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Do you really think thougn that Philip is told what to do? I can well imagine Simon telling him not to do those gigs but in an advisory sort of way. If Philip really wanted to do those gigs I don't think Simon could or would try and stop him.

Couple of years ago I'd have given my right arm to see an Oakey/Ware set of gigs but now............. nah. I'd still love to see Repro & Travelogue get a proper tour but just with the current line up. They don't need Martyn Ware. Just look at how successful this current tour is. Martyn Ware would kill to be playing gigs in the venues that The League are selling out.

This tour is a huge success coz The League are giving the casual fans exactly what they want - a great night out with a large dollop of nostalgia but in a modern sort of way. And it's working for them.
cs15

Next

Return to General discussion