Love & Dancing Vinyl

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Love & Dancing Vinyl

Postby TheLinnLM1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi, my elderly original vinyl of the League Unlimited Orchestra album has seen better days and is now sounding quite muffled and a bit noisy. I'm looking into getting a replacement vinyl so can anyone help identify a heavyweight or really good pressing copy?
Was there ever a 180 grm vinyl version produced?
How do the Japanese/American/European pressings compare to the UK one? (catalogue no. OVED6)

And yes, I have numerous remaster CD/Cassette versions but want a really decent sounding vinyl too!

Thanks!
TheLinnLM1

Re: Love & Dancing Vinyl

Postby cs15 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi. Unfortunately I don't think there's ever been a 180 grm vinyl pressing of 'Love & Dancing' produced. You'd probably be better getting trying to get a copy of the original vinyl off Ebay or the likes.

It STILL sounds stunning today.
cs15

Postby TheLinnLM1 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks Cs15 for the response. I've been looking at Discogs listings and there is (allegedly) a 180 grm but it is tricky to track down as it was limited back in the day.
I'll continue to look round and perhaps report what I can find out - unless someone else here knows about it.
Indeed it is a stunning piece of classic League and of course Martin Rushent studio magic!
Would be nice if an anniversary release was put out of it.
TheLinnLM1

Postby octopus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:07 am

There has never been a re pressing on heavyweight vinyl.
There was an unofficial repressing but how it compares to the original I couldn't say as I've never listened to it.
I did however listen to a mint original only last week and it sounds amazing,better than some of my 180 pressings of other titles.
octopus

Postby JJ » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:37 pm

At times I'm not sure that it's not actually better than Dare! in some ways. The b-side in particular, starting with the magnificent TTTDAMO, is just unreal.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby TheLinnLM1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:12 am

Thanks to both octopus and JJ for replies.
Having had a variety of email conversations with a variety of vendors, the 'heavy weight' vinyl does indeed sound distinctly unofficial and a bootleg. It is not 180 grm but slightly lighter although has been described to me as thicker vinyl than the standard UK pressing. Not sure it's worth persuing due to it's bootleg nature.
May well try and get a good condition UK or US pressing if I can find one.
As for it being better than Dare, no but it's an essential companion to Dare and from recollection, Dare blew my mind enough (in a different way to Travelogue and Reproduction) and then the full remix treatment on Love and Dancing just really blew me away totally, a life changing listening experience that inspired me to buy my first synth and drum machines!
TheLinnLM1

Postby JJ » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:36 am

I got into music (properly) in 1982, and I've got a funny feeling I actually owned L&D before I owned Dare!

I first heard L&D at a fairground in Mitcham. They were playing Hard Times through f*ck off big speakers next to one of the rides.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Return to General discussion