Romantic Secrets

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Romantic Secrets

Postby Kevin Caywood » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Now that Anthology's release has come and gone. Who would like to see both "romantic?" and "Secrets" get rereleased? Certainly I would love a remaster and possibly hear things in a vault; like the William Orbit versions of romantic or isn't there a remix album that Beevers did for Secrets? Even if we don't get to hear those any remixes anytime soon. Is there anything us fans can do get the League to rerelease the only albums not available for streaming? Or how about some of you that would like to see a new vinyl pressing?
Kevin Caywood

Re: Romantic Secrets

Postby octopus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:28 pm

Kevin-
Without thinking about thing in the vault,I'd like straight forward 2/3 disc remastered editions of all albums hysteria- secrets.
I'd like Secrets released on coloured double vinyl.
I would also like a cd single boxset,all of the mixes ,b sides etc on 1-2 discs as octopus era had than many mixes they would need more than one disc.
I'm not fussed about repro-dare as I think enough has been done with these
I don't mind if they also release all albums inc love and dancing on clouted vinyls e.g. Flouro green for octopus,Grey for Romantic?,Orange for Crash etc.
octopus

Postby cs15 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:27 pm

I think everyone knows my feeling on this. Would love Secrets on vinyl. White vinyl would be even better. The fact that their best album since Dare is not commercially available is a travesty.
Romantic? Why not but not really pushed. Unless they tacked on some goodies I'm not sure I need more Romantic? In my life. =D
cs15

Postby Danny C » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:45 pm

They should do what PSB did, remastered albums on one disc, with further listening (b-sides, single edits, mixes, demos) on a second disc.

Also, not sell it for £80.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby JJ » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:26 pm

cs15 wrote:The fact that their best album since Dare is not commercially available is a travesty.

It is. You can still get Credo here without any problem. :p
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:28 pm

=D

We've been here before haven't we?
cs15

Postby Stig Olsen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 pm

25 years of screaming after demos and rare stuff, and people got a CD full of it last year, and now asks for demos and rare stuff again? what are the bloody chances!?
Totally agree on the vinyl re-release, but is there a market (I of course mean outside this little group of geeks here)?

Seeing Oakey started Credo with it being a solo-project....my humble guess is that we will probably get some sort of Oakey output before any new THL releases - what do you think?
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:20 pm

I'd much prefer an Oakey release than another League release at this point. I'd hope though that he'd be a bit more experimental than on League material. It probably wouldn't sell in large amounts anyway so why not let loose and go weird electronica but not too weird like VCMG on Ssss.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:38 am

cs15 wrote:I'd much prefer an Oakey release than another League release at this point. I'd hope though that he'd be a bit more experimental than on League material. It probably wouldn't sell in large amounts anyway so why not let loose and go weird electronica but not too weird like VCMG on Ssss.

He hasn't shown much propensity to date to do a solo album so I don't hold out much hope on that score. =( However it would be interesting. :p How about an album with some of the songs done with other artists? :cool:
SubHuman

Postby Kevin Caywood » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 am

Stig Olsen wrote:25 years of screaming after demos and rare stuff, and people got a CD full of it last year, and now asks for demos and rare stuff again? what are the bloody chances!?

mea culpa!!!
:O :) =D :p
Yeah, I said it but just out of context to get a conversation going...
I really just want to see their whole catalog available.
Kevin Caywood

Postby crowbaby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:11 am

I'm always up for the vault to be opened.....I'm quite certain there are albums and albums worth of stuff...but these days of course, just put it out there somewhere on the 'net.
I would really love to hear some of Mr Oakey's tunes...!
crowbaby

Postby Knowlesy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:30 am

Secrets on white vinyl would be wonderful. A gatefold sleeve to display the stunning artwork at it's very best would be ideal. Love the artwork for the AIEW and LMM vinyl so the parent album is my most wanted vinyl item.The song titles are a bit feint on the back sleeve of the cd so I'd like that to be improved. Who could we get to do that job? ;) The fantastic artwork of Octopus would also be suited to this format. An Oakey solo album is a very intriguing prospect. There is of course the strong possibility of Virgin re-releasing the rest of their album back catalogue on vinyl.
Knowlesy

Postby cs15 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:27 pm

Did 'Anthology' sell enough copies to warrant more releases though? Didn't set the charts alight but I don't think this type of release is meant to. How did the Marc Almond or the D.O.A. box sets do? Can't see those performing much better. I see Carol Decker is releasing an anthology album. Gobsmacked at that. How many tens of copies will that sell? :lol:
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:29 pm

cs15 wrote:Did 'Anthology' sell enough copies to warrant more releases though? Didn't set the charts alight but I don't think this type of release is meant to. How did the Marc Almond or the D.O.A. box sets do? Can't see those performing much better. I see Carol Decker is releasing an anthology album. Gobsmacked at that. How many tens of copies will that sell? :lol:

Carol Decker as in TPau? That will really get JJ going, one of his singers? I don't think so.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:15 pm

My Black & Decker sounds better than Carol Decker. Fact.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Hence the reason why I was shocked that anyone in their right mind would buy a Carol Decker anthology. The thought of it is quite ridiculous. Yet, their must be a market somewhere.
cs15

Postby DevinSpice » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:07 am

Secrets and Romantic definitely deserve re-releases and vinyl releases (the US vinyl edition of "Romantic" is totally bare bones, and if I remember correctly, has Joanne's last name spelled incorrectly). Secrets on vinyl is my #1 desired HL release at this point, and I agree that white vinyl would be very cool.
If the band did it and sold it themselves online and at gigs for say $30, they would need to sell about 100 copies to break even - surely that wouldn't be difficult?
DevinSpice

Postby crowbaby » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:36 am

DevinSpice wrote:If the band did it and sold it themselves online and at gigs for say $30, they would need to sell about 100 copies to break even - surely that wouldn't be difficult?

As much as we would love that to happen....never gonna! THL just don't operate like that. They don't seem to like doing anything that strays from the old path.

They SHOULD have filmed a show from the recent tour and released that!

People like Gary Numan are always doing things like that, crowdfunding new releases, with contributors getting sneak previews of songs, special things that others don't.
Maybe our heroes just really can't be arsed :(
crowbaby

Postby Danny C » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 pm

I think it's simply that, for a band that was once all about futurism and early adoption of modern music technology, they have been remarkably slow to pick up on the Internet revolution. That should have been something they were at the forefront of, but they well and truly missed the boat there. They seem stuck in all the old battles, still moaning about not being on radio playlists even though everyone is listening to music in other ways; still looking for the perfect record label, even though it's easier for a vintage act to release its own stuff through its own channels.

The thing is, they could still make a killing with the right tactics. There are thousands of people out there who would pay for homebrew stuff. Hell, Phil could tinker with synths for an afternoon, stick it on a CD, and people would buy it. I don't know who their digital media advisors are, but they should be sacked.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby SubHuman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm

cs15 wrote:Hence the reason why I was shocked that anyone in their right mind would buy a Carol Decker anthology. The thought of it is quite ridiculous. Yet, their must be a market somewhere.

There is, engineers using auto-correlation techniques to test closed loop control systems have been looking for a perfect but cheap random noise generator for years.
SubHuman

Postby Kevin Caywood » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm

I obviously already own romantic? and Secrets. The reason I brought this subject up was that I noticed them not being available commercially. I saw them in August in Los Angeles, they had a successful winter tour and they play at so many festivals as of lately. At all these venues, there must of been a casual listener that might want to look into their back catalog. If I just discovered them and liked Dare or Octopus, I know I would like Secrets. If I liked Credo or Hysteria, I know I would like Romantic. It's easy to say to each other well why don't they just search eBay for a copy. That's fine, however streaming seems the future for listening to music. My favorite band should be streaming their catalog. It just seems without the catalog being available it seems they are still struggling from the perception of the past. They are a very successful live band. The League of now should be proud of their legacy and catalog.
Kevin Caywood

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:51 am

It's possible there are copyright ownership issues with Secrets. When Papillion went bust they probably owed parent company Chrysalis money. Chrysalis probably won't want to re-release Secrets themselves because they think it's not worth the risk and may say to the League "it's yours for £XXXX.XX "

Romantic may have similar baggage hanging around it, would Virgin or whoever now owns them want to re-release Romantic, an album which didn't do very well the first time around. Remember record companies are there to make money.
SubHuman

Postby DevinSpice » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:45 am

I adore both Secrets and Romantic, and as Kevin is saying, they are not commercially available right now, at least in the US. I do love the band, obviously, but it truly baffles my mind as I have gone to so many Human League shows and when you go to the merch table, they don't usually have any music for sale. If there's ever a time a casual fan might be tempted into laying down cash for a less-commercially successful album, CD, 7", whatever, it's at a show. I seriously don't understand why they don't sell copies of these albums, and others, at the shows.
DevinSpice

Postby octopus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:50 am

There are zero copyright issues with Secrets or Credo.
octopus

Postby cs15 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:24 pm

Ok then let's fan fund a white vinyl gatefold Secrets release.

Maybe Nukove Records could be persuaded to re-open it's doors. Who has VOB's number? =D
cs15

Next

Return to General discussion