Romantic Secrets

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Re: Romantic Secrets

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 pm

Susan said they don't owe Virgin anymore in one of their interviews around when Credo was released. So do they have any say so in a re-release? Or does it still come down for Virgin to make that decision? So if Papillon is no longer in existence, who actually has the rights to it? The League? Chrysalis? Universal?

If we did fund it? How would you propose to go about doing so?
Kevin Caywood

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:42 pm

I'm friends with VOB on Facebook. I chat with him all the time.
I can ask. I don't think he would want to fund it all by himself.
Kevin Caywood

Postby cs15 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:55 pm

I don't really expect VOB to release a White Vinyl Gatefold Secrets. But if he really wanted to of course I'd support that. :lol:
cs15

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:12 pm

Ok I'm going to tell him its all your fault

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kevin Caywood

Postby octopus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:56 pm

They may not owe virgin anymore but that's different to owning the copyrights.
octopus

Postby Kevin Caywood » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:28 pm

Right so... Can someone enlighten us of how these proceedings work?
Kevin Caywood

Postby DevinSpice » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Any label (and person really) could license the rights for a re-release. That's why you see so many discount Human League compilation; someone simply decided to pay for the rights to release these materials into a product for sale to the public. Of course, when I say anyone, it would have to be someone with the knowledge of how to do this, which I don't! But as stated, there are people on this list who could. I would certainly be willing to chip in for it. If we could get 100 people to buy in to a crowd fund thing, it could happen. But I think it would be better if the band initiated it, or was at least involved.
DevinSpice

Postby the snake » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:31 am

It's a crying shame in 2017 that Secrets has not had a vinyl release.Vinyl releases were never so popular than they are at this time
I can't see why Secrets can't get a run of 1000 copy's for record store day, I'm sure they would sell out in no time.Or could they do a limited edition mail order only release ? I'm also very surprised East/West have not reissued Octopus on Vinyl & CD.Romantic would also be nice to get a Cd issue with Bonus remix disc.Going back to Secrets i was in contact with Mike Marsh who mastered the cd and he said the album was mastered for a double vinyl release but the record company then went burst putting an end to it's release. =(
the snake

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Look all we're doing is talking about this. I think the League are more interested in doing live performances these days, there's probably a better effort to payback ratio than for re-releases of old material on vinyl or any format.
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:07 pm

All we're doing is talking about it?

Isn't that what the forum is for? And perhaps if The League realised how much interest there is in a vinyl release of the brilliant 'Secrets' then maybe, just maybe they might consider a release. Yes it's a tiny chance but a chance nonetheless.
cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:52 pm

the snake is totally right about vinyl sales. There has never been a better time to release Secrets on vinyl. As VOB has stated many times - "It's a business". I'd really like to hear Michiel's opinion about this - if we can tear him away from his scuba diving :p The bottom line is that it has to be considered profitable for whoever considers this as a worthwhile project. The League have a huge following on facebook which is a big advantage. It's already mastered for vinyl so less costs involved I'd imagine. It really needs to be promoted well using old and modern methods considering the core age profile of the audience. In order to re-release it on cd successfully then there has to be an incentive for it to be purchased again by those who already have it. So a 2cd version including the instrumental/remix version by David Beevers and unreleased mixes etc would be the solution there. AIEW has been a live staple favourite since the album was released. I believe it will be re-released. Let's do whatever we can to make it happen :)
Knowlesy

Postby cs15 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Love the positivity Knowlesy.
cs15

Postby The Voice Of Buddha » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Of course there are possibilities. It may not even be too hard.
A limited Record Store Day release seems the obvious way to go. If not discarded, Mike Marsh's vinyl masters already exist at Chrysalis and possibly even some artwork. The thing to do is find the right record company executive at Chrysalis and point it out. Tell them there never was a vinyl, they love that for a good marketing story. Show them there is a market, with a petition or a kickstarter. Promote the initiative through superdeluxeedition.com. It's a business, show them where the money is.
Just like with LMM eons ago, someone just needs to pick this up and make some calls. "A Very British Synthesizer Group" mentions a Joe Black* at "Hey Joe!" who coordinates these kinds of projects AND knows the right people at the record companies. He probably has a lot of insight on the what-if's and how-to's. I'm quite sure Stig through his connections could get his number for you.

*when you meet Joe Black I bet he won't look a bit like Brad Pitt...
The Voice Of Buddha

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Joe is with Universal and coordinated the release - not sure of what his actual job description is. But I wholehearted agree with that it could be done if anyone is able to throw enough time into handling the project - even with setbacks and frustrations. The scale of promoting it online would be so much easier than in 2001, just alone for the almost 500.000 followers on the official FB page and the vinyl craze these days.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby SubHuman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:33 am

A 2cd version of Secrets sounds good, I'd buy it, ditto Romantic. =D
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:12 am

Wasn't there at one stage talk of releasing an instrumental version of Secrets called 'Clear'? Or am I mixing that up with something else? How many copies of the vinyl album would they need to sell to make a small profit and thus make it worth their while to release it? With almost 500,000 'followers' on Facebook and new mags like Classic Pop and Electronic Sound to promote it surely they could make a bit of money on a release like this AND promote their 'best album since Dare'.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:56 am

Credo was available on vinyl, but I don't think it still is, not sure if Octopus ever had a vinyl release? There are still vinyl copies of Reproduction, Travelogue and Dare around.
SubHuman

Postby loveaction » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:17 pm

SubHuman wrote:Credo was available on vinyl, but I don't think it still is, not sure if Octopus ever had a vinyl release? There are still vinyl copies of Reproduction, Travelogue and Dare around.

Octopus had a vinyl release, but is incredibly expensive these days to get second hand.
loveaction

Postby Murfy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:23 pm

SubHuman wrote:Credo was available on vinyl, but I don't think it still is, not sure if Octopus ever had a vinyl release? There are still vinyl copies of Reproduction, Travelogue and Dare around.

Most of the Credo vinyls melted in a warehouse fire at a distributors so they are probably quite rare too - Which is why I never got my copy of it. (Which reminds me, I never got the refund from Roughtrade either)

Murf x
Murfy

Postby cs15 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 pm

It'd be great to know if they (The League) are remotely interested in a vinyl release of Secrets. Do Cherry Red only do cd re-issues or vinyl too?
cs15

Postby octopus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:12 am

They are interested in a vinyl release and it has been talked about.
Octopus is so rare as in 95 not many vinyl albums were pressed it was all Cd,glad I never played mine.
octopus

Postby cs15 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:44 am

I think I might have a still sealed Octopus vinyl at home and a played version. Great news that they are interested in a vinyl release of Secrets.
cs15

Postby DevinSpice » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:13 pm

I just sent a message to Vinyl 180 suggesting that they look into it. I love the deluxe vinyl reissues they've been doing of Thompson Twins and Altered Images, among other bands. http://www.vinyl180.com/acatalog/store.html
DevinSpice

Postby Knowlesy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 am

The Voice Of Buddha wrote:Of course there are possibilities. It may not even be too hard.
A limited Record Store Day release seems the obvious way to go. If not discarded, Mike Marsh's vinyl masters already exist at Chrysalis and possibly even some artwork. The thing to do is find the right record company executive at Chrysalis and point it out. Tell them there never was a vinyl, they love that for a good marketing story. Show them there is a market, with a petition or a kickstarter. Promote the initiative through superdeluxeedition.com. It's a business, show them where the money is.
Just like with LMM eons ago, someone just needs to pick this up and make some calls. "A Very British Synthesizer Group" mentions a Joe Black* at "Hey Joe!" who coordinates these kinds of projects AND knows the right people at the record companies. He probably has a lot of insight on the what-if's and how-to's. I'm quite sure Stig through his connections could get his number for you.

*when you meet Joe Black I bet he won't look a bit like Brad Pitt...

Hi Michiel. It's great to hear from you* and thanks a lot for the information =D Hopefully the vinyl masters do exist. The question now is who is going to be that someone to make that happen? I can certainly get in touch with Joe Black through Universal UK and propose the idea. I don't know anything about kickstarter but maybe someone knows how to organise a successful petition via facebook. I completely agree that if a significant number of people showed an interest then it would increase the chances of this happening.

*I hope you and Esther are keeping well. I've fond memories of your kindness and generosity from my trip to Utrecht all those years ago and our trip to Denmark. Those Danes were wonderfully kind too :) I hope we meet again soon.
Knowlesy

Postby the snake » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 am

Octopus was also released on vinyl in Brazil =D
the snake

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion