July 2017

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

Re: July 2017

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:35 pm

cs15 wrote:*You can tell there's loads of League news happening can't you?* :lol:
Yeah, it's quiet, so I guess I can share my knowledge (or lack of) about Ireland:

1. Northern Ireland / Republic of Ireland - still confuses me. 2. Guiness (obvious) 3. They can't pronounce the 'th'-sound - i.e. in thirsty and thirty. 4. IRA 5. Everyone is named O'something. 6. U2 7. Gaelic sounds like something from Lord of the Rings. (love that). 8. Green country - loads of rain and clouds.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:17 pm

Jaysus Stig!

No stereotypes in that list. :lol: Why not go full on and talk about leprechauns, rainbows and fairies? To be sure, to be sure we all go around saying Top O' The Morning To Ya.
Only Dubliners - specifically Northside Dubliners don't pronounce their TH's and instead put a D where a TH should be like: Dis, Dat, Dese & Dose.
Re: Northern Ireland -it's complicated but we all get on now (mostly) so it's all good but Brexit could bugger that up very, very quickly especially if a hard border is put back in place. =(
Re: Guinness - it's vile. Yeah it's our National drink but it's vile.
Re: Everyone is named O'something. That's so stereotypical BUT as an O'something myself I won't comment. =D
Re: Gaelic - It's actually sounds very poetic but it's a nightmare to learn. I'd love to be able to speak it fluently but can't. :O
Re: U2 - yes they are a National treasure but they are hated by as many people as there are those that like them. Me? I'm a fan and have no problem admitting it. I'm going to see them in 3 weeks in Croke Park and can't feckin' wait! I love the fact that they don't rely on past glories and constantly release new material. The last album 'Songs Of Innocence' is brilliant.
Re: Green Country - Correct. It rains, a lot. A lot, a lot. When the sun is out you could be in the most beautiful country in the world. When it rains........ we go to the pub...... a lot. :p

Denmark......

Bacon. Vikings. Sullen motherf***ers. Love beer. Friendly. Nudie Festivals. Bicycles. Obsessed with Danish flag.
cs15

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:30 pm

:lol: great answers, thanks!

One question: when people just say "Ireland" - how do you know which one? (it's THL related as I made a fuck-up during a tour poster once) ;-)

Re: Denmark - spot on (you forgot Lurpak butter)...Patrick O'Connor? ;-)
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:45 pm

When people talk about 'Ireland' it's assumed they are talking about Southern Ireland - The Republic.
The North is ALWAYS referred to as Northern Ireland.

If for example, you talked about THL doing a UK tour and had any Southern Ireland dates listed then that wouldn't go down well. It would need to state UK & Ireland Tour.

Likewise if you listed an Irish Tour and listed Belfast in that list then that wouldn't go down well. Again it would have to say UK & Ireland Tour
Last edited by cs15 on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs15

Postby Kevin Caywood » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm

hahahahahahahaha

the banter is such a delight...
continue on
Kevin Caywood

Postby cs15 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:09 am

Took this when I was in Copenhagen:

cs15

Postby StevieD » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:31 am

@cs15 you forgot the giraffes
StevieD

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 am

cs15 wrote:Jaysus Stig!

No stereotypes in that list. :lol: Why not go full on and talk about leprechauns, rainbows and fairies? To be sure, to be sure we all go around saying Top O' The Morning To Ya.
Only Dubliners - specifically Northside Dubliners don't pronounce their TH's and instead put a D where a TH should be like: Dis, Dat, Dese & Dose.
Re: Northern Ireland -it's complicated but we all get on now (mostly) so it's all good but Brexit could bugger that up very, very quickly especially if a hard border is put back in place. =(
Re: Guinness - it's vile. Yeah it's our National drink but it's vile.
Re: Everyone is named O'something. That's so stereotypical BUT as an O'something myself I won't comment. =D
Re: Gaelic - It's actually sounds very poetic but it's a nightmare to learn. I'd love to be able to speak it fluently but can't. :O
Re: U2 - yes they are a National treasure but they are hated by as many people as there are those that like them. Me? I'm a fan and have no problem admitting it. I'm going to see them in 3 weeks in Croke Park and can't feckin' wait! I love the fact that they don't rely on past glories and constantly release new material. The last album 'Songs Of Innocence' is brilliant.
Re: Green Country - Correct. It rains, a lot. A lot, a lot. When the sun is out you could be in the most beautiful country in the world. When it rains........ we go to the pub...... a lot. :p

Denmark......

Bacon. Vikings. Sullen motherf***ers. Love beer. Friendly. Nudie Festivals. Bicycles. Obsessed with Danish flag.

I agree with a lot of that Patric. There are lots of surnames with O' or Mc or Mac which literally means child/daughter/son of. Similarly there are loads of Danes with surnames that end in 'sen', such as Olsen and Neilsen.

Yes it's green here but so is Denmark. Loads of rain here but I've experienced biblical levels of rain in Aarhus too :p Ireland has stunningly beautiful landscapes and I am so proud that the Skellig islands were chosen as part of the new Star Wars films. My late maternal grandmother was from that part of Ireland and I know that part of Kerry very well. I don't mind admitting that I was very emotional when watching the end of The Force Awakens for this reason alone. It is simply breathtaking and completely unique.

Guinness is very popular here but I think it's horrible too.

U2 polarise opinion more than any other Irish band within the whole of Ireland. Many reasons for this but I'd put Bono on the very top of the list. As I mainly like electronic music I'm not into them at all.

I'm not going into the political history aspect but I'm confident that there will be no hard border if Brexit happens. I still hope that there is a second referendum as Brexit will have very negative consequences for the whole of Ireland as the UK is our biggest trading partner.

Gaelic is a deeply unpopular language with less that 10% of the population using it every day and this is confined to small regions, collectively known as the Gaeltacht. I resented being forced to learn it in school as I knew I would never use it afterwards. In contrast to Patric I don't like the sound of it and it's a complete nightmare to learn as there are more exceptions to almost every grammatical rule. Quite a contrast to bi-lingual Denmark where Danish really is the first language. On the whole I'd say Ireland and Denmark have a lot in common which is why we both love The Human League. Go on ya good thing :lol:
Knowlesy

Postby the snake » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Agree with most of what CS15 & Stephen say.
Loved the scene from from" Star Wars"on Skelligs's in Co Kerry, i must try visit sometime in the near future.
Some of the last film was shot in west Cork also.
Guinness is a really nice drink has a bit of a tangy taste but you can get used to it after a while. i only drink it when in Dublin seems to taste better there. Get a dodgy pint of it and you'll know all about it run's through you =D
in Cork we have " Murphy's " stout & "Beamish " stout the latter is very smooth and creamy and very sweet and for some reason or other is always cheaper to buy.Philip had a few pints of "Murphy's on his last visit to Cork a few years back for that" Murphy's little big nights out" free concert :cool: Coors Light seems to be very popular nowday's cos of half the sugar content a drink for diabetics.U2 seem to be mega/Gods here i like most of there music especially the early stuff. The cranberries would be my choice though .
It's nice to have a "Cupla Focal" (couple of words) in Your Irish language though. Yes it was drilled in to us at school and kinda pointless but it is part of what we are i suppose and im glad i was pretty good and learnt it .
I know this is a little off topic but i did mention Philip in it so i guess it's ok. Oh and philip did have a few glasses of Guinness here on " Rewind Tour " with culture club after the RDS show.
Mayby the Tree,3,Three of us should start off our own Forum :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by the snake on Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
the snake

Postby cs15 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Bet you're sorry you asked about Ireland now Stig. =D

If you want to know about REAL Ireland and how we live just watch this beautiful, magical video below. It really gets to the heart of Ireland and also teaches you a few Irish words. Stunningly beautiful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FnJDsvjtMg
cs15

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:15 pm

cs15 wrote:Bet you're sorry you asked about Ireland now Stig. =D
not really, been fun. Would love to go to Ireland some day. Great photo btw - most expensive stuck up area in all of Copenhagen.
Stig Olsen

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 am

I seem to remember Northern Ireland being referred to as Ulster a number of years ago, has this usage now been discontinued?
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:01 pm

SubHuman wrote:I seem to remember Northern Ireland being referred to as Ulster a number of years ago, has this usage now been discontinued?

Largely, yes. Ulster is a term very much favoured by those on the pro-unionist side and is disliked by Irish nationalists. It is also not particularly accurate, as Northern Ireland only contains about two thirds of the historical province of Ulster.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby the snake » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:37 am

SubHuman wrote:I seem to remember Northern Ireland being referred to as Ulster a number of years ago, has this usage now been discontinued?

Ireland is made up of 4 provinces and Ulster is often referred to as the North/ northern Ireland and made up of 6 county's.
The other provinces been Munster,Leinster & Connacht which make up 26 county's.
the snake

Postby StevieD » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:00 pm

there was a time when the mods would bring a thread back on topic.
As mammy would say "Ye can't get the fekking staff these days" :-)
StevieD

Postby Stig Olsen » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:05 pm

StevieD wrote:there was a time when the mods would bring a thread back on topic.
As mammy would say "Ye can't get the fekking staff these days" :-)
oh right, the topic was the knob-thingy, so you actually just made it on-topic again - good job! ;-)
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:33 pm

:lol:
cs15

Postby StevieD » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:10 am

Clearly it was an analogue knob as it drifted a bit :-)
StevieD

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:35 am

Analogue functions can be kept from drifting, witness AVC and AFC on old radios, just to be a pedantic knob.
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:45 pm

It's a bit tenuous but is league related

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vocalist-want ... 1254012777
"Looking for backing singers ( Joanne Catherall and Susan Ann Sulley) for a big gig in the South West during October for a Human League tribute act. This is a unique opportunity. No time wasters please."
Any takers ??
StevieD

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am

I heard about that Midge Ure tour. Need to look at dates :)
Electric Dream

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:19 pm

From Lets Rock Southampton 2017, I like the morphing faces but what is Phil wearing... looks like a bin liner??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caVPpj2Tf3o
sarah t

Postby Terryhfs » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:01 pm

cs15 wrote:You've NEVER played a synth if you think all the knobs are set the same. :lol:

Is there a version without the tour dates? I've asked this question earlier but you chose not to answer it. :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't they be set the same? It's perfectly possible that the sound you want has an envelope that shape, assuming they're envelope controls. If they're filter, resonance and volume, again it's entirely possible that those are the right settings for the required sound.
Terryhfs

Postby ValGabr » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:49 pm

Not sure if this was posted before.

Recent article from Q Magazine can be read here:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/q-uk/201 ... 3830072685
ValGabr

Previous

Return to General discussion