January 2018

News, releases, polls and general chat about The Human League and related topics

January 2018

Postby JJ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:43 am

Happy new year, everyone.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Re: January 2018

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 am

Let's hope 2018 is a better year than 2017 so Happy New Year everyone. =D
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:34 pm

Eugene Reynolds was a writer on league songs?
He seems to have credits on allmusic but it's not clear for which tracks.
https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/cult ... -1-4651393
StevieD

Postby Stig Olsen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:57 pm

Eugene Reynolds is a member of The Rezillos and co-wrote Heart Like A Wheel with Jo Callis.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby StevieD » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:56 am

Thx stig. I wasn't aware he co-wrote it. The rezillos / Revillos are / were a great band. Saw them couple of years ago.
StevieD

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:43 am

Let me just kick that tumbleweed out of the way. Yeah it's pretty quiet round these parts. The only bit of League related news I have comes from the recent TOTP - the story of 1985 documentary that was broadcast on BBC Four recently. It's bound to be on the iplayer. All three members of a-ha were interviewed about their breakthrough year. Mags mentioned that the first piece of music they heard upon arrival in London from Norway was The Human League in a taxi cab. He also stated that Soft Cell and Depeche Mode were big influences too.
Knowlesy

Postby sarah t » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Dam just such a good issue of 'Classic Pop' magazine that I simply had to nab a copy today!

If you delve beyond Jim Kerr peering out of the cover of the February 2018 issue there is so much to delight and enjoy. Upper most is the ten page 'Birth of Synthpop' article beginning on page 26 featuring Human League and Heaven 17's Martyn Ware. I personally am getting excited at the prospect of a new Simple Minds album, reviewed favourably on page 91 and an eight page interview with Jim starting on page 46. Of course what really sold it for me was the 'classic album' feature, five pages focusing on 1990's Depeche Mode album 'Violator' and got me dipping into my pocket for the cash. I am mildly interested to read 'The Low Down' on Madonna (or as I usually refer to her as MadOnHer... :lol: ) despite not being the greatest fan of her music and have a similar feeling regarding an interview with Nik Kershaw, six pages beginning on 74.

In short one of the best issues of 'Classic Pop' I have seen for quite a long time... go on check it out yourself, should be worth your time as well! ;)
sarah t

Postby cs15 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:16 pm

The fact that it’s Martyn Ware being interviewed is enough to put me off buying it!

The guy would go to the opening of a toilet if he thought it’d give him some press coverage. How many times have we seen him talk about the making of Being Boiled etc??

Wouldn’t it be nice to hear Adrian Wright or Ian Craig Marsh’s take on things for a change?

Said it before: Mr Ware is a synth genius but he really does hang off the coattails of the Human League name an awful lot for someone who hasn’t been part of The League for 37 years!!!!
cs15

Postby Terryhfs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:33 pm

It was Martyn's band! Without Dead Daughters and The Future and all that went before Martyn formed The Human League none of what came after would have happened. Phil would probably still be a hospital porter and Joanne and Susan would never have been famous. Everyone involved made their contributions but I don't think you can whitewash the history.
Terryhfs

Postby cs15 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 am

Who said to whitewash him out of The League’s history?

He hasn’t been part of THL for 37 years but to hear him speak you’d think he was still part of the band. The ONLY reason people want to speak to him now is because of the success THL had AFTER he left. If THL had flopped then the original League would be but a footnote in music history. THL’s success shone a massive great light on the original League’s output.
I only found out about Reproduction and Travelogue after I fell in love with Dare. I’m guessing that about 95% of people did the same. Thank god I did find out about them.

I adore the original League. There’s nothing more I’d love than to see Repro and Travelogue get the recognition that they deserve. I just wish it wasn’t Martyn Ware all the time. I’ve heard him tell his side of the story hundreds of times.
cs15

Postby zilvisual » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:07 pm

Martyn is fascinating and I have enjoyed his talks a few times . He has a passion for music and its a pleasure to witness someone share it . Its a joy to still have access to someone like him and me for one can not say thanks enough.
I would love the to be able to chat to all the members of the band as easily as I have talked with Martyn. Only downside is he is an big owls fan... still you cant have it all ..lol. UTB :-)
zilvisual

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:53 pm

That's a strange coincidence as I was just enquiring, in my local news agents, about Classic Pop mag as I hadn't see it for a while (I stopped buying it ages ago) and they told me they still get in a few copies. I must look out for this latest edition. :p
SubHuman

Postby octopus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Ware is a massive bore,but that being said I too love reproduction and travelogue.
I totally agree though on cs15’s comments.
octopus

Return to General discussion