11.12.2016 Plymouth, Uk - Plymouth Pavillions

Tours and other live dates - post your pre-gig discussions and post-gig reviews

11.12.2016 Plymouth, Uk - Plymouth Pavillions

Postby crowbaby » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 am

Please use this thread for everything to do with this gig.
crowbaby

Re: 11.12.2016 Plymouth, Uk - Plymouth Pavillions

Postby Hoops » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:49 am

Tickets booked and excitement levels rising! I'll post a brief review when I've been. Seems a long time to wait.......

Edit - wished they'd do a meet n' greet or some such. That would be the icing on my THL cake =D
Hoops

Postby SubHuman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:38 pm

Hoops wrote:Tickets booked and excitement levels rising! I'll post a brief review when I've been. Seems a long time to wait.......

Edit - wished they'd do a meet n' greet or some such. That would be the icing on my THL cake =D

They stopped doing "meet and greet" a few years ago, Electric Dream will probably know when the last one was done.
SubHuman

Postby Hoops » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks for that, what a shame =(
Hoops

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:19 pm

The League did meet and greet for quite a few years, I'm not sure why they stopped. I never attended, always had a long drive home after the gigs and by the time I considered going it had stopped. I suppose you could always ask the people selling memorabilia at the gig if the League are going to do meet and greet that evening. Good luck.
SubHuman

Postby Hoops » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Well, a little while since my last post, but this is happening tomorrow night and I can't wait! I'm really looking forward to it, I'm just hoping the journey down to Plymouth isn't too bad as there are major roadworks on the main route :-(
Hoops

Postby JJ » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:05 am

I think it was a gig at Plymouth Pavilions that I first became aware of a lunatic contingent from Denmark. Must have been around 2001/2.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Hoops » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:18 am

JJ wrote:I think it was a gig at Plymouth Pavilions that I first became aware of a lunatic contingent from Denmark. Must have been around 2001/2.

=D I'm just hoping for a great night like it was three years or so ago at the same venue :cool:
Hoops

Postby Stig Olsen » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:00 am

JJ wrote:I think it was a gig at Plymouth Pavilions that I first became aware of a lunatic contingent from Denmark. Must have been around 2001/2.
:p
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby ive known you 4 too long » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:03 am

They didn't do an encore as one of them was ill last night hope their alright for the rest of the tour
ive known you 4 too long

Postby Hoops » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:42 pm

Well, here are my thoughts on last night's gig in Plymouth. Some mild spoilers below so bear that in mind if you're going to an upcoming show... Also, please bear in mind I'm a music fan, not a critic, and my words below reflect that ;)

Wow. Just wow. I enjoyed this show as much as I did their last Plymouth gig. I haven't kept a set list as I was in the moment and enjoying it too much to do anything as sensible as that :lol:. Anyway, Ekkoes opened up with a 30 minute or so slot (I wasn't timing it ;) ) and did a real good job of warming the audience up. This group is really talented and I hope they can break into big things as their career progresses. The two vocalists were superb, backed up by excellent percussion and guitar/keyboard players. They played original material and one cover version of a non-HL song (I won't spoil that surprise, but it kept me guessing until the lead vocalist said who it was he was covering). If there was a downside, it's perhaps the vocals were at some points were overpowered by other sounds/instruments, but that might just be me. Overall an enjoyable set and worthy opener to the mighty League.

There was about a 30 minute break until THL started. They opened with "Being Boiled" which started almost unannounced and caused a lot of people to jump as it suddenly started, me included =D. Phil walked out onto stage dressed in a black outfit with shades and reminded me of a Cenobite character from the Hellraiser movies - essentially he looked cool as f*ck. He had two or three changes of outfit throughout the evening. Initially it was Phil singing on the stage on his own, and I first thought that he and the group would be singing to pre-recorded backing tracks as there was no band in sight. I didn't believe this would ever happen with THL and I was right! The top half of display screens behind Phil lifted to reveal the band, gently lit by UV/blue lighting. Awesome! I *think* they were the same band as I saw when they played at Plymouth a few years back, but either way, they're a massively talented group of people.

The ladies joined Phil and looked as resplendent as ever. I was in front of Susan a few rows back from the stage and she looked particularly gorgeous :cool:. So the set progressed and I'm still amazed at how Phil manages to hit every note pitch-perfect, all the time, every time. He genuinely looked pleased to be on stage, was very energetic moving from one side to another and was smiling and just looked like he was happy to be there, which certainly rubbed off on me. It crossed my mind when I got home whether he and the girls ever get bored of going though their repertoire and singing the hits everyone wants to hear. If they do, it didn't show here at all.

The ladies did their usual superb job of backing/lead vocals and overall the three of them together showed that they're just as potent today as they've ever been. How talent like this - and I include the band in this - is preferred over the like of X Factor people/bands is beyond me =(

So the backing band (it almost feels an insult to refer to them as that, as they're such an integral part of the performance). What's left to say? Awesome again! The drummer got a real workout and I was watching him closely during several songs and he's amazing in doing what he does so well. The two keyboard/keytar players made the songs too, and together they're so skilled I could've been listening to a CD in terms of how they reproduced the songs - it was that good!

Overall, this was a highly polished, very professional, and exceptionally entertaining evening and I was humbled to be there to witness it again. As you can imagine, the audience was on its feet for several of the bigger hits and screaming along with the vocals, which in my view just goes to show how engaging a show it was and that THL is held in such high regard by so many. I just can't wait to be part of this again.

There was one downside which has been posted already - no encore, which turned out to be due a undisclosed member of the band becoming unwell. Whilst disappointing at the time, it's understandable now and I hope he/she recovers for their next show.

If I had to give this an out-ten score, it would be 11/10 :cool: :cool: :cool:
Hoops

Postby marcelm25 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:39 pm

Great review! Hope to enjoy THL next year in the UK > those were the times!!
marcelm25

Postby Hoops » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks, I enjoyed the show, can't wait until next time!
Hoops

Postby Panzermensch » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:27 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:
:p

We've never been to Plymouth, so WHO excactly did you meet JJ? :lol:
Panzermensch

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:20 pm

I didn't meet them (you) so perhaps it was Portsmouth???
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:22 pm

JJ wrote:I didn't meet them (you) so perhaps it was Portsmouth???
I couldn't remember either - Plymouth/Portsmouth <> Potato/Potato, but it was Portsmouth, now I have checked some old photos. :p
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:18 pm

That's a wonderfully detailed and well-written review Hoops. I really enjoyed reading it :)
Knowlesy

Postby Hoops » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:48 pm

Knowlesy wrote:That's a wonderfully detailed and well-written review Hoops. I really enjoyed reading it :)

Thanks for that, much appreciated :)
Hoops

Return to Live