13.12.2016 London, UK - Royal Festival Hall

Tours and other live dates - post your pre-gig discussions and post-gig reviews

13.12.2016 London, UK - Royal Festival Hall

Postby crowbaby » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:45 am

Please use this thread for everything to do with this gig.
crowbaby

Re: 13.12.2016 London, UK - Royal Festival Hall

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:34 am

Tickets are on sale - I just got front row!!!! :D :o
Electric Dream

Postby StevieD » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Yeah despite ringing them at 9 and them insisting it was 10, they went onsale at 9.30. Managed to get 2nd row !
At least the tickets are a very reasonable £40. While I may have been vocal previously about somewhat higher prices, going from £30 in 2010 to £40 in 2016 doesn't seem as outrageous. In fact I'd like to publicly say to Tharg good job on keeping the prices down AND not putting them onsale in December AND for not using an agency that loads charges and postage on top.
StevieD

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:58 pm

I think that price is because you booked directly from the RFH Steve, and they only have a small transaction fee, as opposed to a transaction, booking and postage fee like everywhere else! The other gigs seem to be more expensive - for example, Sheffield is around £46!! :o
Last edited by Electric Dream on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Electric Dream

Postby StevieD » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:43 pm

Yep definitely. Nowt wrong with booking with the venue in my view - more should do it to avoid the thieving gits like ticketmaster.
StevieD

Postby redblue100 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:06 am

Row F for me, but right to one side. Never been here so looking forward to it. Looks like tickets selling well, all front stalls gone already!

Looking forward to seeing some old friends too!
redblue100

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 am

Great venue, probably the easiest major venue in London for me to get to.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby RichK » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:31 pm

I was lucky enough to get the front row too. Just as well, my back can't take standing up for gigs now.
Was impressed by the £40 price as I was expecting it to be much higher, Southend cost me £46 for the balcony!
RichK

Postby Electric Dream » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:07 pm

It looks like London was the cheapest gig this time :D I guess the prices differ a wee bit from venue to venue but with the RFH not having stupid fees on top helped too :)
Electric Dream

Postby StevieD » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:16 am

Heads up for those going..... The encore was skipped tonight because someone wasn't feeling well. Not sure if it is Joanne or Phil based on a few Facebook comments. Time for Lemsip or Brandy.... Bit if a killer schedule is you ask me.
StevieD

4 Tickets Going for Royal Festival Hall - Face Value

Postby AnyaL » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Hello -
Last minute, but my family and I unfortunately can't make The Royal Festival Hall show tomorrow night. V gutting.
We have tickets on row RR - Selling for face value to anyone who wants them. £140 total.
My partner is happy to meet you tomorrow to exchange tickets as I'm out of London. Really don't want them to go to waste.
Anybody interested?
Thanks,
Anya X
AnyaL

Postby Prof Luni » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 am

Right now I cannot manage words other than to say that was f-ing amazeballs.
Prof Luni

Postby StevieD » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:54 am

Several of my videos are live here goo.gl/Cc5GG5
StevieD

Postby redblue100 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:59 am

Just brilliant. That is all !!!
redblue100

Postby Mr.Darkness » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:28 pm

Phenomenal live show. Great to see the band loving it so much.

Saw Mark Jones at the venue all dressed up and in his element - it is such a shame The Human League once again find themselves without a record deal. With Secrets now airbrushed out of history, and Sky the only Credo track given an airing, last night I was left with a tinge of sadness. It was almost as if they were embarrassed to touch their recent stuff. They should be more proud of the last two albums, particularly Credo, even if there was not the commercial success associated with their 1980s releases and Octopus. Here's hoping The Anthology is not the final word...
Mr.Darkness

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:02 am

What a bloodly brilliant gig that was!!!!! Out of the three I've been to on this tour, this was my favourite. Not sure if it was because I was in the front row - I'm sure that had a lot to do with it (in terms of 100% unrestricted view) but there was something electric in the atmosphere too. The crowd were much louder than Brighton/Sheffield and it felt like a massive party, rather than a gig. Joanne never stopped smiling either ;)

There was no trace of whatever illness had got to them in Plymouth a couple of nights before - all of the band were on top form :D

Whoever had the idea of adding SWMT to the setlist - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! It's one of my all time favourite songs since 1995!!! :D

It was really good to see and catch up with some of the massive too! Next year we really must try to get a massive group together at one gig, just like the old days :)
Sorry I didn't see you though, RedBlue100!

Wish I was going to the last gig in Notts too, wah!!!
Electric Dream

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Electric Dream wrote:What a bloodly brilliant gig that was!!!!! Out of the three I've been to on this tour, this was my favourite. Not sure if it was because I was in the front row - I'm sure that had a lot to do with it (in terms of 100% unrestricted view) but there was something electric in the atmosphere too. The crowd were much louder than Brighton/Sheffield and it felt like a massive party, rather than a gig. Joanne never stopped smiling either ;)

There was no trace of whatever illness had got to them in Plymouth a couple of nights before - all of the band were on top form :D

Whoever had the idea of adding SWMT to the setlist - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! It's one of my all time favourite songs since 1995!!! :D

It was really good to see and catch up with some of the massive too! Next year we really must try to get a massive group together at one gig, just like the old days :)
Sorry I didn't see you though, RedBlue100!

Wish I was going to the last gig in Notts too, wah!!!

I'm thrilled to hear how well these shows are being received =D Altering the set list, even by just a few songs, makes it so refreshing. It must be their most successful tour to date based on ticket sales and audience reaction. The comments here and those on facebook and twitter show how much the League mean to so many people.
Knowlesy

Postby Panzermensch » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:20 pm

Panzermensch

Postby Mr.Darkness » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:29 pm

4 star review in The Times. For those who don't have a subscription, I have pasted it here:

Will Hodgkinson
December 15 2016, 12:01am,
The Times

This had all the hallmarks of a slip into despair. A show by a once-groundbreaking band playing hits from 35 years ago to a crowd in their forties and fifties trying hopelessly to relive their youth — what’s not to write a seasonal suicide note about? Yet the Human League proved that glamour, wit and evergreen melodies really do live for ever.

At first it did not look promising. To the sound of the band’s icy 1978 debut Being Boiled, Phil Oakey, with the asymmetrical haircut and androgynous fashion sense of old replaced by a shaven head and black leather coat that made him look like Ming the Merciless, stalked the stage on his own. Then Susan Ann Sulley and Joanne Catherall, mere schoolgirls when Oakey spotted them dancing in a Sheffield nightclub in 1980, joined him for Sound of the Crowd. Then a screen rose to reveal three besuited musicians with suitably retro-futuristic instruments such as keytars and electronic drums, and we were off.

You couldn’t argue about the strength of the tunes. From The Lebanon — a rare moment of the Human League going political with a protest against the Lebanese war — to the Motown-themed Mirror Man, these were modern classics. And they approached the concert with a refreshing spirit. There wasn’t the desperate posturing you often get from 1980s bands who refuse to accept that they’re no longer the biggest thing in the world. Even so, a lot of thought had gone into the presentation, from Sulley bringing the songs alive with camp theatricality to a bank of screens showing images that related, however abstractly, to the music.

The set ended, as it had to, with Don’t You Want Me before an encore of a singalong for Together in Electric Dreams. Of course it was nostalgia. No one was pretending the new numbers were anywhere near as good as the old favourites. But nostalgia can be an art form too, as the Human League proved at this stylish, semi-ironic, undeniably enjoyable concert.
December 15, Barbican Centre, York; December 16, Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/pop-the-human-league-at-the-festival-hall-xkkw20tgs
Mr.Darkness

Postby redblue100 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:37 pm

Hi Tracy - I did see you at one stage actually but I wasn't at all sure if you would remember me after all this time so I didn't fight my way down to see you - won't make that mistake next year!!! Hope you and Pauline are both well!
redblue100

Postby Hoops » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:56 am

I'm glad everyone went who went to this enjoyed it :-) About The Times review - in Plymouth there were a lot of people there a lot younger than in their forties and I suspect that's the case elsewhere ;-) I'm still buzzing from last weekend, I still can't believe how good THL is live.
Hoops

Postby louisep » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:56 pm

This show was the first time I had ever seen THL live and quite why it took so long I am not sure (well, we did have tickets for the last time they played this venue which was a few years ago but flu knocked us out and we couldn't go).

I was just a bit too young to be 'there' fully in the Dare era, although I was aware of it and them and have always counted it a favourite album since. My first single of the band's that I fully recall was 'The Lebanon', which looking back now was not really indicative of anything and now sounds a bit atypical. But good to hear it live at the RFH.

On to the show. I was surprised how good they still sound. Yes it certainly helps to have the set and the lights and all the stuff going on in the background, and Susan's high energy certainly keeps the crowd going. Got my husband interested and dancing (even though he is late 50s he really doesn't know much about any band from that era, being more of sports fan than a music one). And I was made up to hear them start with 'Being Boiled'. Heard Heaven 17 perform this live a few years ago but this was better :)

Anyway, just wanted to say that Philip (still cute as hell) and the girls are still fantastic and yes, this was a great night. Enough to get me doing a trawl back through all the videos and songs I'd somehow missed over the years (I tuned out around 1990 when 'Romantic?' didn't really do it for me and their own personal and professional confusion turned me off - glad to see all that has obviously been resolved over time), and realising there were very few weak links. Would have liked to have heard something from 'Credo' though as that really does stand up well on a listen now; to me it is probably only second to the mighty 'Dare'.
louisep

Postby Electric Dream » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

redblue100 wrote:Hi Tracy - I did see you at one stage actually but I wasn't at all sure if you would remember me after all this time so I didn't fight my way down to see you - won't make that mistake next year!!! Hope you and Pauline are both well!

Unless you've changed drastically, I would have recognised you :rolleyes: :lol:

Welcome to the forum louisep :)
Electric Dream

Postby louisep » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:58 pm

louisep

Return to Live