14.12.2016 Liverpool, UK - Philharmonic

Tours and other live dates - post your pre-gig discussions and post-gig reviews

14.12.2016 Liverpool, UK - Philharmonic

Postby crowbaby » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:46 am

Please use this thread for everything to do with this gig.
crowbaby

Re: 14.12.2016 Liverpool, UK - Philharmonic

Postby Danny C » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:19 pm

Well now, I surely can't have been the only one here who went to this one, can I? =D

Despite the shenanigans of a year ago, when the venue "accidentally" reserved the front six or seven rows on the alleged say-so of the band (a misunderstanding, according to the band's management), meaning that those of us who were first in the queue did not get the best seats, the view from Row H was really good, so any lingering bitterness faded quickly.

Ekkoes were absolutely fine, though nothing I haven't heard before. One of their songs sounded a lot like "Circle of Poo" from South Park, which amused me greatly. The lead singer can actually sing, which makes a refreshing change. I confess I spent most of their set staring at the quite magnificent breasts of their female backing singer.

Then the mighty League, 9pm on the dot, they are so professional these days. The abrupt start quite startled us. I was irritated by a red spotlight that was directed right in my eyes, which was horribly blinding, though fortunately it only lasted for the first number. I wouldn't have been able to bear that for 90 minutes.

I won't bore anyone by going through the entire set list. However, wonderful to hear SWMT live for the first time since they introduced it as their new single on the Octopus tour, and equally wonderful to hear STAG live for the first time, EVER. Why oh why haven't they done these more often?

OMIMH was nicely sung by Susan, and better than I expected, though it definitely suffered for not featuring Phil's backing vocals. My father was thrilled that they played Human, as they haven't done that one for a while. I haven't heard FUWH for ages either. The set benefitted MASSIVELY from being shaken up.

Even the humdrum Sky, mercifully the only track from Credo to be performed, sounded pretty good. In fact, for the first time in a long while, I can say that there were no real lowlights.

The atmosphere was great (1700 seat enthusiastic sellout audience), the band sounded great and they looked great (may I be bouncing round like Phil when I am in my 60s!). An excellent gig.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby Panzermensch » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:21 pm

Panzermensch

Postby Hoops » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:03 am

Nice review Danny C, thanks. Glad I'm not the only one who was, ahem, distracted by the nice Ekkoes lady :-p

That's a great review that's linked too as well, thanks, sort of sums it up for me too.
Hoops

Postby Wirralpolitics » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:10 pm

Just joined this forum after seeing the Human League live for the first time.
Unfortunately this will be my first and last post.
After reading a comment from a previous posting on here.

".... I confess I spent most of their set staring at the quite magnificent breasts of their female backing singer."

I think this forum is not for myself or any female if this is the usual level of commentary.
I find this kind of thinking repulsive and thought we had left this misogynistic attitude behind in the last century.
I am sure the female backing singer was hired or joined the band based on her vocal abilities and not on how her great her tits were.
The irony is not lost on me either that this is a forum for a band which is 2/3rds female.

Sarah.
Wirralpolitics

Postby crowbaby » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:45 am

Wirralpolitics wrote:Just joined this forum after seeing the Human League live for the first time.
Unfortunately this will be my first and last post.
After reading a comment from a previous posting on here.

".... I confess I spent most of their set staring at the quite magnificent breasts of their female backing singer."

I think this forum is not for myself or any female if this is the usual level of commentary.
I find this kind of thinking repulsive and thought we had left this misogynistic attitude behind in the last century.

Hi Sarah,
I can assure you we are mostly a friendly and respectful bunch here. That type of comment is definitely NOT the norm. From time to time opinions differ (as with ANY other forum) but we always try to nip it in the bud and move on.

I hope you will stay around and give us another go. I'd love to hear your report of the show!

Karen (Moderator)
crowbaby

Postby Danny C » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 am

Wirralpolitics wrote:Just joined this forum after seeing the Human League live for the first time.

Unfortunately you're a liar, as you actually joined this forum last month, before the tour, to send me two abusive private messages.

What an amazing coincidence that a month after sending me said messages, you have turned into a woman who is offended by my post! Quite miraculous really, but I don't think anyone is fooled.

It's perfectly clear that your purpose here is to troll another member, ie me, as evidenced by your username, which is a combination of my location and one of my private activities (for those who don't know, I have stood for election on numerous occasions in the Wirral).

It's equally clear that you're an existing member posting under another username, as you were when you posted as "wirral dj" back in 2007:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=174

Unless you've taken steps to cover your tracks, an IP check will demonstrate who you are, although I'm pretty sure I know already.

You need to take a long, hard look at whether this is what you want to do with your life. Sad and pathetic.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:22 am

Yep, I thought it was quite obvious it wasn't a genuine person. Although I didn't particularly like your comment about her boobs, if I was genuinely offended, I'd have said something. No idea why someone would hide behind a fake name to air their views!
Electric Dream

Postby Stig Olsen » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:02 pm

I've checked the IP adresses for both wirral dj and Wirralpolitics and they are the same, and for that reason alone, both members have been banned. We can not ban on the basis of the post alone, seeing it's a valid reply to what could be seen as an offending remark.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby SubHuman » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 am

Stig Olsen wrote:I've checked the IP adresses for both wirral dj and Wirralpolitics and they are the same, and for that reason alone, both members have been banned. We can not ban on the basis of the post alone, seeing it's a valid reply to what could be seen as an offending remark.

Weird!!!
SubHuman

Postby DevinSpice » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:06 am

Wow! The forum is getting exciting again! Fake profiles trolling members, this is beginning to remind me of my day job!
DevinSpice

Postby Hoops » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:40 pm

Wirralpolitics wrote:I find this kind of thinking repulsive and thought we had left this misogynistic attitude behind in the last century.

This is the kind of thing I find particularly offensive, telling people what they can and cannot say, what they can or cannot think. How PC. Grow up, get a life. This was not a particularly offensive comment (you mentioned tits after all) and you seem to have an ulterior motive for posting. The lady concerned was a very talented vocalist, she incidentally happened to be also attractive to the opposite sex. Human biology in effect! I'm sure yo've never commented on an artiste or celebrity you're attteacyed to, oh no. Anyway, I don't suppose we'll find out now.
Hoops

Postby crowbaby » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:51 pm

Thread is now closed.
crowbaby

Return to Live