OMD Live

Discuss events that might interest other members

OMD Live

Postby Panzermensch » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:04 am

At last! I finally got to see the reformed OMD live as I went to my first OMD gig in 17 years with the Esbjerg 80s Festival. But like all good fairytales I had to go through all kinds of trouble to get my reward. First of all this was a 80s themed festival at its worst. Esbjerg isn't excactly the worlds most sophisticated city (I'm trying to be diplomatic here) and all the local hillbillies were out in full force, dressed up in their ugliest 80s clothes and silly wigs and absolutely hammered. And as support bands I had to endure the mindnumbingly boring UB40 as well as Denmarks own pile of poo Moonjam.

But it was all worth it as OMD entered the stage and got the crowd going from the off. At first I was worried about the turn up as there was plenty of room down the front, but the bands energetic set soon attracted more people and we ended up with quite a good crowd. The setlist was purely made up of singles and worked great, even if I would have liked a couple of more tracks from the new album instead of Locomotion and Forver Live And Die as they only did 2 from History of Modern. But the crowd loved it, so what do I know eh Sister Mary hasn't really been a favourite of mine, but hearing it live was a real ear opener as it sounded fantastic.

I had forgotten how great a front man McCluskey really is. Never stood still and was always whipping the crowd into action. And plenty of good banter in between songs from him to both the crowd and his band mates. The rest of the band also looked like they really enjoyed the gig with smiles all around. Denmarks biggest music magazine Gaffa gave it 5 ouf 6 stars which is also what I would give. A few less of the weaker singles from the mid 80s and more from the new album and it would have been full marks. But very happy I finally got to see them live again and this is surely not my last OMD gig.
www.the-black-hit-of-space.dk - now with a NEWS section!
Panzermensch

Postby decophile » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:10 pm

I get to see them again on July 13, looks like! And their new single is brilliant, IMO.
decophile

Re: OMD Live

Postby decophile » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Brilliant show last night!! :D Met Paul n Andy after the show - they were utterly charming.

decophile

OMD Live

Postby JeremySat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:18 am

hands down, blew the roof off and ended up seeing the three times over 3 weeks. Other than that, Johnny Marr is absolutely brilliant live.
JeremySat

Return to Gigs and clubs