If you could see...

Discuss events that might interest other members

If you could see...

Postby JJ » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:23 am

...any one band / individual (that's one - not two, three or fifty seven), from any era - living or dead - play live, who would it be?

I know it goes without saying that THL Mark I would be a given, so try and look further afield.

Aside from the above I'd have loved to see early Depeche Mode when Vince was in them, or Sweet Dreams-era Eurythmics. I'd also have been very interested to see early Beatles, early Bowie (I saw later version), Elvis or Rolling Stones, but really just to see what all the fuss was about and to have experienced that "see them from the beginning" type of thing rather than because I'm a big fan.

But It's not just about that, you have to like the music too, so for me the winner would be Abba. I love so many of their songs, and although I was much too young I suspect they were criminally under-valued at the time; probably got tarred with the "if they're in Eurovision they must be a bit crap" brush. I think their songwriting is amazing, funnily enough I especially love the backing vocals in a lot of their songs, and if they were to reform - which they won't - I would pay a lot of money to see them. But I would have loved to see them in around 77-78.

You?
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Re: If you could see...

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:20 am

Mine would probably be The Associates.

There are loads of bands I wished I'd been able to see back in their early days (eg - THL, A-ha, Ultravox etc etc) but as I've seen them all over the years, I had to go with a band I've never seen....and will never get the chance to!
Electric Dream

Postby cs15 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:32 pm

I was too young to see most of my favourite bands at the height of their popularity (early 80's League, Duran, Soft Cell, Yazoo, Depeche, Culture Club & loads of others). Wish I could say I was too young these days. :)

I've seen them all live since then with the exception of Soft Cell (although I've seen Marc Almond live a few times).

So for me it would have to be Japan. The 'Tin Drum' era. The songs were/are magnificent (when you ignore the first few albums). I don't think we'll ever see a Japan/Rain Tree Crow re-grouping again due to the sad death of Mick Karn so unfortunately it will remain a dream to see them. I saw David Sylvian live a few years back and although he was pretty good I find a lot of his later work (post Secrets Of The Beehive) self indulgent and generally tough to listen too.

So yeah Japan for me. =D
cs15

Postby Danny C » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:42 pm

The Beatles, obviously.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby JJ » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:19 am

Hey Danny - long time no "see"!

Why "obviously"? I realise you're from Liverpool and all that, but is it because you love their music, or because (like me) you'd have been curious to see what it was all about? By all accounts all you'd have heard at the later gigs was screaming, but I think it would have been fascinating to see them in those early Cavern gigs. The whole English music scene in the first half of the 60s must have been an amazing period in which to be involved.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:04 am

For me it would have to be Ray Charles an amazing live singer who sang a lot of improvised bits. From the Newport Jazz Festival period before it was all commercial ballad stuff. He was also an underrated jazz piano and alto sax player as well as a prolific songwriter.

Soul Brothers:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnID70IU-g
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:46 pm

JJ wrote:Hey Danny - long time no "see"!

Why "obviously"? I realise you're from Liverpool and all that, but is it because you love their music, or because (like me) you'd have been curious to see what it was all about? By all accounts all you'd have heard at the later gigs was screaming, but I think it would have been fascinating to see them in those early Cavern gigs. The whole English music scene in the first half of the 60s must have been an amazing period in which to be involved.

I am from Liverpool, but geography has nothing to do with it. They are, simply, the most influential band there ever has been and probably ever will be. As musical artists, they are without peer. As cultural icons, they are up there with the Da Vincis and Mozarts. And half of them are dead now, so actually seeing them play would be impossible outside the precepts of this topic.

I mean, seriously. The third best songwriter in the group churned out "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun". That should make anyone stop and think.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:49 am

I think it would have to be the Kraftwerk Computer World Tour of 1981. A bit like the Dare tour (although there's some video footage of the Kraftwerk one) it sounds great on bootlegs but I bet visually it was even more impressive.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby JJ » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Oooh, good call Ian! (nods appreciatively!!)
JJ

Return to Gigs and clubs