Gary Numan

Discuss events that might interest other members

Postby decophile » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:50 am

Went to 2 Numan shows this week -- RAH!!!
decophile

Postby JJ » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:55 am

Going to see GN at the Enmore in Sydney on 13th May - anyone else going?

It'll be the first time I've seen him for about 10 years - I stopped going when the songs at the gig all started with the same whooshing noise, and I couldn't tell which was which. But this is the Pleasure Principle tour, so looking forward to it.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Tycho » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Going in Brisbane on the 12th. Saw him when he last toured here (last year was it or the year before?) and had a chat with him after the show. Great show, nice bloke. Looking forward to seeing a classic album performed.
Tycho

Postby JJ » Sat May 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Hmmm...

Last night reminded me why I'd stopped going to GN concerts about 10 years ago. Pleasure Principle part ws ok, but they all sound very similar. Then it was on to the post-80s stuff, which I really find dull to be honest, and again they all sound the same. Other than the always good Down In The Park, Are Friends Electric and I Die You Die, I might as well not have been there (except for the absolute stunna standing in front of me, that is! ;))

The biggest change from when I saw him years ago is that he seems a lot happier on stage. Perhaps he just wasn't enjoying that mid 80s stuff when I saw him most often bak then. I know in hindsight he slates his own stuff from then, but as it happens that's my favourite period of his.

The best part of the gig was hearing Metal - one of my absolute faves and my second favourite GN track behind Sister Surprise.
JJ

Postby Tycho » Sat May 14, 2011 6:03 pm

Yes it was a shame to not hear anything from eg the Dance album, or Berserker etc but that's to be expected I suppose (for the reasons you give above JJ). I don't mind the heavier stuff though (in small doses), and Prayer For The Unborn is a corker. I thought it was a great show. Nice to see a bunch of synths onstage.
Tycho

Postby Knowlesy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:00 pm

Gary is releasing a best of dvd in June called Machine Music and will feature promos and TV appearances on dvd for the first time. He's also going on tour in May and June in the UK and Ireland to promote it and the setlist will focus on the singles from his entire career. Among the songs to be performed are Warriors, Berserker and Call out the Dogs. Check out the link for more info - www.numan.co.uk
Knowlesy

Postby Pauline » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:14 pm

He's playing in Sheffield. I'm planning to go, assuming it's not sold out by payday!!
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm

I am really looking forward to the tour and dvd :) Never thought I'd get the chance to hear the likes of Warriors and Berserker live as my first Numan gig was in 88 and they had gone from the setlist at that stage.

There's an ad for the dvd and tour in the video section of Gary's website and I love the video for Metal which most fans believe should have been the follow up to Cars. Just over 4 weeks to the Dublin show.

On a side note, Sister Surprise, which JJ likes, was last included on the setlist for the 88 Metal Rhythm tour. The album version of that song has a magnificent, atmospheric intro.
Knowlesy

Postby Knowlesy » Wed May 30, 2012 10:27 am

I'm still on a high after experiencing the best ever Numan concert that I have attended!!

The venue, located in the heart of Dublin's Temple Bar, was small and rammed to the rafters with a wide-ranging age goup. Eamonn and I went to the first row of the balcony and were right beside the dj area as there was no support act. The dj played a great selection of 80s classics from Simple Minds, Krafterk and New Order but the place went wild after my request for The League resulted in the crowd singing along to every word of Love Action :) The atmosphere was incredible even before Gary took to the stage.

Opening with the powerful Berserker, Numan was greeted with a rapturous reception and the tidal waves of PPG sounds sounded enormous through the PA. A large, cinema-style projection screen was used for the entire show coupled with 4 large triangular shaped LED light panels. A close up of a girl with white panstick and blue make up, 'singing' the backing vocals echoed Gary's 1984 ice man image perfectly. Even better was the extended version of Metal with elements of ME added towards the end which increased the intensity to a higher level. Sticking to his pledge to keep faithful to the original versions of the songs and looking incredibly trim and athletic he mixes the set with classic singles and his newer material in a highly effective manner.

The place is baking hot, so much so, that the fire alarm goes off on several occassions! Gary does his best to stay cool by drinking loads of water and pouring it on his arms and neck. Of the newer singles RIP, with it's ultra cool intro and extended middle section, is my favourite of his new darker material. There are several fan made videos used on the huge screen and the best of these is for Call out the Dogs, a 1985 single that should have gone Top 20 which Time Out magazine claims they only remember. Cityscape scenes blend with Blade Runner samples for one of Gary's best ever songs.

The band are exceptionally tight and Tim Muddiman's bass playing, melded with the luscious warm electronics on Warriors make this a true highlight. The excerpts from the original video of the sexy T33 jet plane cruising in glorious Summer sunshine add to the hypnotic sounds. A lovely tribute was played for Gary's former drummer, Cedric Sharpley, who recently died and I'm delighted that Love needs no disguise was chosen as it is so appropiate and was played beautifully. The biggest crowd reaction is for the classic singles of course. I die: you die is absolutely stunning, Down in the Park's eerie mood is magnificent, Cars sparkles, We are Glass and Are 'friends' electric? are lapped up by the adoring crowd. The audience took every available vantage position and the atmosphere was of unconfined joy. Gary is beaming with a huge, happy smile.

I would have loved to have heard an I, Assassin track in the setlist but it was a sensational mix. Truly one of the best days of my life and I urge anyone lucky enough to see him before this short tour ends to go and witness a show you will never forget.

The Globe, one of Dublin's coolest bars, was playing Films as I made my way back to the car park. A perfect end to a perfect night.
Last edited by Knowlesy on Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowlesy

Postby JJ » Wed May 30, 2012 9:41 pm

Unlike more die-hard Numan fans, which I would never claim to be, I love the mid-80s stuff. Call Out The Dogs is a fabulous track, and I love the whole Berserker / Fury albums. Really don't like his modern stuff by comparison.
JJ

Postby Pauline » Wed May 30, 2012 10:36 pm

I was at the Sheffield gig, loved it :cool: Prefer his 80s stuff generally, but really really enjoyed the newer stuff live. Somehow, this is only the 2nd time i've gone to see him live, but i'd go again for sure!
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:51 am

I agree with you JJ about the Berserker and Fury albums and am delighted you enjoyed the show Pauline :)

The final show at the Brighton Dome was filmed for a dvd release and former band members Chris Payne and Rrussell Bell performed Love Needs No Disguise and Are 'Friends' Electric? as special guests so I can't wait to see that.
Knowlesy

Re: Gary Numan

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:19 am

Gary is playing his classic albums - Replicas, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon on consecutive nights in a few weeks' time at the Forum in London. Beggars Banquet are also re-issuing these albums on vinyl with some available in a limited edition colour. He'll also be adding songs from his debut album Tubeway Army each night. He's also playing in Cork and the set will comprise tracks from his first four albums. Check out http://www.garynuman.com for more information.
Knowlesy

Postby JJ » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:49 am

Wonder if he's coming back to Aus? Despite my comments above I'd still go again.
JJ

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:07 am

JJ wrote:Wonder if he's coming back to Aus? Despite my comments above I'd still go again.

No plans announced at present. I saw him in Cork and it was a magnificent show. I love the early albums so this was a special gig. A great mix of hits and the cream of album tracks. This was the biggest venue he's ever played in Ireland (approx 1500 capacity) and I heard it sold out. Highlights for me were - I dream of wires, Tracks, This Wreckage and Me! I disconnect from you. A substantial portion of the crowd were only familiar with the most famous songs but, as the set progressed, the atmosphere got better and better. He really won them over with his charisma and energy and the last half hour was sensational!!

He forgot some lines of one of the songs near the end, drew attention to it and got a roar of laughter and approval. The final song was Jo the Waiter (the highlight of the night) and he messed up the opening big time. Took the mickey out of himself, and this was the point when the Cork audience just decided to love him for ever. At this stage he had them in the palm of his hand - "This is the last song of a short tour and I can't think of a nicer place to finish than here". A massive round of applause and a standing ovation at the end. Gary and the band were euphoric and people were talking about how good he was everywhere afterwards.
Knowlesy

Previous

Return to Gigs and clubs