Boy George

Discuss events that might interest other members

Re: Boy George

Postby Glinda » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:24 am

decophile wrote:I love George no matter what. I don't care for his solo material as much as CC. Having said that, I didn't think his 9:30 Club gig was bad. I was thrilled to see him, and I seem to remember thinking his voice sounded lovely. I really do not care for reggae. But I didn't go to that show expecting to love all the songs - I just wanted to see and hear George. :-)

Yes, I prefer Culture Club to George solo as well. I do actually like some of George's solo music, but just not This is What I Do. I like the Martyr Mantras and Cheapness and Beauty, This is What I Do was just so boring for me. Not a big fan of reggae. Everything sounded the same. At the 9:30 club, he did almost none of his earlier solo music, which was odd. He did almost the whole of This is What I Do which was boring to me.
Seeing George is not that exciting to me. I like seeing all of Culture Club together, not just George. But mostly I have to like what music is being performed
Glinda

Postby Glinda » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:29 am

cs15 wrote:Glinda I'm glad you enjoyed the gig.

decophile wrote:I love George no matter what. I don't care for his solo material as much as CC.

And this is where we differ. Polar opposite for me. Love solo George but can take or leave Culture Club. Having said that I'm really enjoying 'More Than Silence' at the moment. Far superior to Duran's awful 'Pressure Off'

I assume that 'Tribes' will be released when George hits the screen on The Voice or his reality show. Bigger profile = makes sense to unleash the album but by that stage it'll be what....18 months old? :/

Really? I thought Pressure Off was a really good song. Now the two other songs DD has released from their album Paper Gods and You are Killing Me with Silence I thought were terrible.
DD is totally different from CC. Not sure why people they compare them other than they come from the 80's. DD is far more electronic than CC. In some ways CC is more of a band than DD even though most people don't see it that way because CC has a lot of live instruments, guitar, bass and drums whereas DD is mostly Nick and his keyboards/synths on the music.

I know George has this idea the Voice or reality show will promote Tribes, but those always just promote George as a personality not the music. I honestly don't like George that much as a personality. He's annoying to me. I wish just once something CC could be promoted as a whole band and the music. It's disrespectful to Jon, Roy and Mikey how it's always done. It just makes me angry that they never get any credit for what they bring to the records. It's always George and his crazy antics. I"m sure when he's on the Voice he will get in a big fight with someone and there will be some type of tabloid scandal. The music of Tribes which I like a lot more than Don't Mind If I do will be lost underneath all that as usual.
Glinda

Postby decophile » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

You even love his reggae sets? In a way, his solo work has been somewhat disparate. So I could see liking certain genres but not so much others.
decophile

Postby decophile » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:06 pm

As to George's personality, no point in fixating on that now. We rather know what we're getting at this point. And I would argue he's a better version of himself now, compared to when he was in the drug phase. And, hey, at least he's not Morrissey. :P
decophile

Postby Glinda » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:31 pm

decophile wrote:As to George's personality, no point in fixating on that now. We rather know what we're getting at this point. And I would argue he's a better version of himself now, compared to when he was in the drug phase. And, hey, at least he's not Morrissey. :P

He was pleasant enough at the CC concert but I feel it was kind of fake. I feel if he was really truly himself he would be just as bad as Morrissey, but he kind of reigns it because he wants people to like him and be more famous. Whereas Morrissey doesn't care what people think and is himself.

I don't really buy he's this changed person. I find it kind of phony. I always laugh at CC interviews because when George goes on his spiels about how much he changed, Jon Moss starts rolling his eyes. I feel the same. I don't think it's genuine. I just find it incredibly self serving and it feels like he's preaching to people. He really both acts and looks like an old boring rabbi in that hat when he goes off on how he's changed and he's nice to everyone now and he only eats vegan foods blah blah blah.

People say don't fixate on his personality, but he promotes himself more as a personality than a singer/songwriter so it's hard not to notice that. I see a lot of his bigger fans are really into his personality more than the music.
I do like some of his music, but to truly connect with an artist I do have to like them as people.
Last edited by Glinda on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glinda

Postby Glinda » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:34 pm

decophile wrote:You even love his reggae sets? In a way, his solo work has been somewhat disparate. So I could see liking certain genres but not so much others.

I generally dislike the reggae, especially when he tries to do the awful Jamician accent. His solo music is really all over the place. It's like he has no idea what he wants. He doesn't like them, but his first solo albums Sold and High Hat really were pretty decent pop records. His worst are actually the more recent ones, Ordinary Alien and This is What I DO to me which are just horrible.
Glinda

Postby decophile » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:06 pm

You know what they say: Fake it 'til you make it. And, however someone feels inside (which is really none of my business), I appreciate an effort to behave in a civil/kind/pleasant way.
decophile

Postby Glinda » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:17 pm

decophile wrote:You know what they say: Fake it 'til you make it. And, however someone feels inside (which is really none of my business), I appreciate an effort to behave in a civil/kind/pleasant way.

I guess. I like someone who is genuinely nice rather than a fake person. I like people to be honest and straightforward.
Glinda

Postby Glinda » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:37 pm

Oh, no. George is back to hanging out with Marilyn.

Why George? Marilyn is such a user. I'm sure Marilyn is soaking George for plenty of clothes and dinners.

I say George if you want to be friends with Marilyn just take him to Starbucks and McDonalds! I think you will see then Marilyn will have no interest in hanging with you.

Really, I think George's judgment of people's character is way off.
Glinda

Previous

Return to Gigs and clubs