http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/video/ ... 0_qnhnn7to

Mini Interview & 'More Than Silence'

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-view/video/ ... 0_vba5d6c6
cs15

Re: Boy George

Postby StevieD » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:35 pm

(From Alison Moyet facebook feed)
CULTURE CLUB CANCEL TOUR
Due to Boy George suffering from a serious throat condition, for which medical treatment is currently underway, Culture Club have cancelled their UK tour where Alison was going to be a Very special guest.
Ticket holders can claim refunds from their point of purchase. Apologies to everyone who was looking forward to seeing Alison live on this tour.
We wish George a speedy recovery.
StevieD

Postby cs15 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:56 pm

That's a shame for Alison Moyet as this is the 2nd tour she has had to cancel this year. Her European tour was cancelled a few weeks ago due to her dad being ill (he eventually died).

Was strange that CC were even planning to tour before Christmas as the album isn't out until late Jan.
cs15

Postby Glinda » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:57 pm

cs15 wrote:Glinda you & I are never gonna agree on Culture Club.

They started off as a truly individual and unique group but turned into a bland out-of-time disaster (largely due to George's ego and drug abuse).

Why wasn't his solo career a massive success like CC? Easy - he didn't do the 'boy-next-door' who likes dolls routine. He rebelled. He got wasted. He released some average albums. He also got interesting. Without the band he took risks. Some worked and some didn't but they were interesting. The only George era I don't enjoy is DJ George. Never have. Saw him DJ once and it was of little or no interest to me. Wouldn't cross the road to see him DJ again. But I'd cross countries to watch him play live.

Jon, Roy & Mikey are nice guys and talented musicians but they just don't have the George factor. I know you won't like that statement and you won't agree with it but hey everyone is entitled to an opinion. Met all members of the band a number of times and all of them were decent enough souls. Hope the album is a gem and is a success but fear it won't live up to expectation the way 'This Is What I Do' did.

I don't agree with you about Culture Club, but I totally agree with you about George's djing. I went once and I had the same reaction as you. Most boring thing ever.
When you say they don't have the George factor, maybe that's what I like about them. I like George's music but his personality is not that appealing to me. It's a little too over the top and overbearing. I kind of like that they are more normal in how they deal with other people and not as aggressive as George is. George's attitude towards other people totally turns me off. George needs normal maybe more low key people like Jon, Roy and Mikey around him to balance him and keep him in touch with reality. I think for a lot of fans they love his personality more than the music. But for me I don't get into the cult of personality, I care about music. For me, the CC album can't be worse than This is What I Do. Everyone says it's so great, but for me it's actually one of George's worst solo albums. I do enjoy some of the solo stuff like Matryr Mantras and Cheapness and Beauty, but I listened to This is What I do once and then never again. All those reggae tracks are just so dull. You say you like George taking risks but there's nothing risky about This is What I Do. It's all very MOR, acoustic and BBC2 like. It's hardly risky.
Glinda

Postby Glinda » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:05 pm

cs15 wrote:First new Culture Club single 'More Than Silence' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfBfxxGjJCY

It's not very Culture Club(y) but it's not bad. Better than I thought it would be. Very solo Boy George than CC.

I like it too. I don't think it sounds like solo George. It sort of sounds like their cover of Starman from DMIID. Roy's guitar rocks. He is awesome. You say the members of CC don't have a personality, but I think the problem is they have too much and ideas of their own. George wants to be in control and not have anyone question him ever. His solo band allows him to do that. But I find John Themis' playing just the most boring stuff ever. Roy brings a lot more personality to his guitar solo.
Glinda

Postby Glinda » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:29 pm

cs15 wrote:That's a shame for Alison Moyet as this is the 2nd tour she has had to cancel this year. Her European tour was cancelled a few weeks ago due to her dad being ill (he eventually died).

Was strange that CC were even planning to tour before Christmas as the album isn't out until late Jan.

George said the album was out in March/April. No one releases albums in January. It would be the worst time to do anything. The lowest time for sales. You don't have to coordinate a tour with an album anymore. I will of course buy the album but most people just want to hear the older stuff. I think the other guys were impatient to tour and they wanted to do it as soon as possible. George kept them waiting so long and now they have to wait some more.
I read that there's going to be a feature on them in Q Magazine. I guess it was to promote the cancelled tour but it should be interesting if all of them are interviewed. Everyone says George has personality, but honestly I find all his interviews so boring now. The never ending lectures about raw food and how he's all sober. Really puts me to sleep. It's all so rehearsed. I hope Jon is in Q Magazine. He just is the funniest guy ever. Every interview he makes me laugh.
Glinda

Postby cs15 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:07 am

George will be on 'American Idol' next week:

http://tvline.com/2015/03/19/american-i ... sic-top-9/
cs15

Postby cs15 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:14 pm

Keeping Up With...Boy George?? This could be a car crash:

http://flavorwire.com/newswire/the-kard ... wireSocial
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Does this mean no tour no new album for Culture Club?
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:36 am

The tour is going ahead as planned. I think they'll be following him around on the tour.
cs15

Postby Glinda » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:04 pm

A reality show is a terrible idea for someone like Boy George, as we saw in that BBC documentary. He's too nasty. To be a good reality tv show star, you have to have a few tantrums or diva moments, but not so many as to make you unlikeable and also a sense of humor about yourself as well as other people. George is too nasty and too hyper sensitive and can't laugh at himself.
George was more popular back in the 80's and 90's when people didn't know so much about what he was really like and just heard his voice and his music.
If there's one member of CC who would be a good reality show star, it would be Jon Moss. He has a sense of humor about himself and likes being on camera, but isn't unlikeable.
Glinda

Postby decophile » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Scored an early bird ticket to the Culture Club show in August, the Wash, DC area one! :D
decophile

Postby cs15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:25 pm

Nice to see you around these parts Deco. :)
cs15

Postby decophile » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:20 pm

aww, thanks! :) I'll try to come by more often, spend so much time on FB and Twitter...
decophile

Postby cs15 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:28 pm

Facebook is the work of the devil. :p
cs15

Postby decophile » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:40 pm

George is on FB. :P
decophile

Postby decophile » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:04 pm

I get to see Culture Club tonight!!! :D
decophile

Postby cs15 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Enjoy it. Make sure you give a full report afterwards. Seems to be a mixed bag of views about the gigs. Some saying George sounds amazing and others saying the opposite. Sluggish ticket sales and half empty gigs to sold out shows. Not sure I like the direction that George is going in with the whole reality show/ Kardashian thing.

Hope you have a blast.
cs15

Postby decophile » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:23 pm

I now have front row for the show and am listening to the soundcheck!
decophile

Postby decophile » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:16 pm

The show was splendid! George looked and sounded amazing. And he was in a good mood, to boot. Maybe 4 outfit changes. He talked about how much he loves many American singers, like Johnny Cash. Which reminded me that you and your music idol may not have the same taste in music at all. ;-)

Also, I ended up with front row center!!!!!!!!!! :D
decophile

Postby cs15 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. =D
cs15

Postby Glinda » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:10 pm

decophile wrote:The show was splendid! George looked and sounded amazing. And he was in a good mood, to boot. Maybe 4 outfit changes. He talked about how much he loves many American singers, like Johnny Cash. Which reminded me that you and your music idol may not have the same taste in music at all. ;-)

Also, I ended up with front row center!!!!!!!!!! :D

It was wonderful!! I was at Wolf Trap and the venue was almost full.
I criticize George but he sounded great! It was really fantastic to see Jon, Roy and Mikey on stage doing their thing and they all seemed so happy. George was a good Boy, not bitching or yelling at the audience like has previously done.
It was far superior to the 1990's reunion concerts

There was no mixed reaction to these gig as cs15 says. Every press review has been good and everyone enjoyed it in the audience. It was overwhelmingly positive unlike the horrendous solo George gigs. Everyone walking out of the show said what an amazing gig it was. The audience loved it all. Even the new songs which surprised me. A lot of Americans love country. Of the new songs, they seemed to like Runaway Train the best.

And yes, he had the four outfit changes. They had additional musicians as well as Jon, Roy and Mikey. It was done in a real classy way. Some of these concerts of 80's musicians like the Here and Now thing can be so cheap. But they did it the right way. The only odd thing is that George leaves the stage first, and Jon, Roy and Mikey are there last. I don't think they all get along so well but it's good they can put that aside for a little awhile for the fans who have been waiting to see them for so long. But I did get to see my guy Jon thank the audience and he also thanks the solo band which I thought was very generous and humble of him. I was very glad Jon was there as it he wasn't at a couple of the first shows due to a back injury. He seemed okay when he was playing,but when he walked down to join Roy and Mikey to thank the fans it looked like he was limping a little bit. I feel bad that he had to play when he was in pain, but it wouldn't be CC without him, no matter what some people say.

Face it, the world loves Culture Club, much more than George's solo gigs and music. It was just a great great night filled with warmth and love. It definitely washed the bad taste out of my mouth after that horrendous George solo gig at the 9:30 club here a few years ago.

But I agree with the fact that I don't like the whole reality show thing. And now he's signed up for the Voice. He should focus on Culture Club!
Glinda

Postby Glinda » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:02 pm

And next month I'm seeing Madonna!
Imagine seeing Jon and Culture Club and Madonna in the space of a month! Just too much excitement for me!! :) =D
Glinda

Postby decophile » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:10 pm

I love George no matter what. I don't care for his solo material as much as CC. Having said that, I didn't think his 9:30 Club gig was bad. I was thrilled to see him, and I seem to remember thinking his voice sounded lovely. I really do not care for reggae. But I didn't go to that show expecting to love all the songs - I just wanted to see and hear George. :-)
decophile

Postby cs15 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Glinda I'm glad you enjoyed the gig.

decophile wrote:I love George no matter what. I don't care for his solo material as much as CC.

And this is where we differ. Polar opposite for me. Love solo George but can take or leave Culture Club. Having said that I'm really enjoying 'More Than Silence' at the moment. Far superior to Duran's awful 'Pressure Off'

I assume that 'Tribes' will be released when George hits the screen on The Voice or his reality show. Bigger profile = makes sense to unleash the album but by that stage it'll be what....18 months old? :/
cs15

PreviousNext

Return to Gigs and clubs