General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Postby JJ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:14 pm

SubHuman wrote:Just received the deluxe version of Propaganda's a secret wish.

Love that album. Duel is one of my favourite tracks ever, and the remix Jewel is also fantastic - as you say, sounds amazing on a proper amplifier. Takes me right back to 1985-86.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:04 am

So I was walking thru my local Sainsburys when their cd rack caught my attention. There among the usual crop of Elvis, Cliff Richard and Carpenters compilations was a TOTP New Wave cd. I picked it up out of curiosity and found it contained three disks with a whole raft of artists from approx 1978 to 1980. At £ 5-00 it seemed a snitch, so I bought one.

There are far to many tracks to list them all so I'll give a sample: Denis by Blondie, The Eton Rifles by The Jam, Public Image by PIL, Automatic Lover by The Vibrators, Dog Eat Dog by Adam & The Ants, My Sharona by The Knack, Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung, I'm In Love With A German Film Star by The Passions, Mad World by Tears for Fears, It's Different For Girls by Joe Jackson, Money by The Flying Lizards and many more. Quite pleased with it although the compilers don't seem to know the difference between late punk rock and new wave but some music journos think punk rock morphed seamlessly into new wave anyway. There are some noticeable absentees: Joy Division, UltraVox and the Human League so the album is by no means comprehensive.

Just noticed that there is also a TOTP New Romantics, must find out what it contains.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:21 am

Well jut checked out the TOTPs New Romantics compilation album, I have most of the tracks so I'll give it a miss. Bizarrely it has a track by ABBA on it.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 pm

SubHuman wrote:So I was walking thru my local Sainsburys when their cd rack caught my attention. There among the usual crop of Elvis, Cliff Richard and Carpenters compilations was a TOTP New Wave cd. I picked it up out of curiosity and found it contained three disks with a whole raft of artists from approx 1978 to 1980. At £ 5-00 it seemed a snitch, so I bought one.

There are far to many tracks to list them all so I'll give a sample: Denis by Blondie, The Eton Rifles by The Jam, Public Image by PIL, Automatic Lover by The Vibrators, Dog Eat Dog by Adam & The Ants, My Sharona by The Knack, Dance Hall Days by Wang Chung, I'm In Love With A German Film Star by The Passions, Mad World by Tears for Fears, It's Different For Girls by Joe Jackson, Money by The Flying Lizards and many more. Quite pleased with it although the compilers don't seem to know the difference between late punk rock and new wave but some music journos think punk rock morphed seamlessly into new wave anyway. There are some noticeable absentees: Joy Division, UltraVox and the Human League so the album is by no means comprehensive.

Just noticed that there is also a TOTP New Romantics, must find out what it contains.

Yes I also have noticed this CD release in my Sainsburys, over at Portswood the other day... I've probably got most of the songs, and the ones I haven't no doubt regularly crop up on Absolute 80s, still nice packaging though! ;)
sarah t

Previous

Return to Music