Depeche Mode

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Depeche Mode

Postby cs15 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:07 pm

How was gig Panzer? Setlist hold any surprises?

Saw their version of Bowie's Heros on YouTube but found it underwhelming. Seemed to lack any passion.
cs15

Postby Panzermensch » Mon May 08, 2017 12:13 pm

cs15 wrote:How was gig Panzer? Setlist hold any surprises?

Saw their version of Bowie's Heros on YouTube but found it underwhelming. Seemed to lack any passion.

I thought it was ace =D Would give it 5 out of 6, but one grade would be for it being the premiere of the tour with the element of suprpirse a key factor! Some quips about the setlist (too slowpaced in the first half and choice of songs) and the stage design (Corbin needs to change), but they've tweaked some of the old songs slightly with especially EC getting an excellent overhaul. Heroes sounded very cool and I loved it especially for the fact that DM never play an unreleased track.
Panzermensch

Postby cs15 » Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Glad you enjoyed it Panzer. If the tour comes to Dublin I think I'll give it a miss this time.
cs15

Postby cs15 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:32 pm

I was given a gift of Spirit last week. Must say I'm pleasantly surprised by some of it.

There's no real 'standout' tracks as such but there's certainly enough to keep it interesting. I think the biggest problem overall is the general tempo of the album. You could easily slip into a coma listening to it if you weren't careful. That's not to say it's bad but there's just not enough oomph in it.

Album highlights for me after a half dozen listens are:

'Cover Me', 'You Move', 'Going Backwards', 'Poorman' & 'So Much Love'
The synths on Cover Me are stunning.

'Where's The Revolution' is just blah. 'Eternal' is horrendous. The rest are ok.

The artwork is crap. I think it's time they dumped Anton Cordijn and went in a new direction. All in all an ok album. Nothing amazing but better than expected. If I had to award it stars out of 5 then it'd be a fairly decent 3 out of 5. It's probably nearer to 2 1/2 but I'm feeling generous today.
cs15

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:29 am

Fantastic to see Depeche Mode adorning the cover of the new issue of 'Classic Pop' magazine now out. Super tempted to buy a copy just on the strength of that and the worthy article mainly focused on 'Spirit' but on further examination of the rest of this magazine I think I will pass. I'm finding I have to be pretty much super cautious in getting anything other than basics at present but I'll probably spend some time standing in our WH Smith fast reading the article. :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:36 pm

Yeah, I don't buy Classic Pop anymore and there are now so few takers that our local newsagent no longer stocks it.
SubHuman

Postby loveaction » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:11 pm

SubHuman wrote:Yeah, I don't buy Classic Pop anymore and there are now so few takers that our local newsagent no longer stocks it.

Now its diluted itself to going monthly, its hardly "Classic" these days that's for sure. I stopped my subscription to it a while ago.
loveaction

Postby cs15 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:06 pm

Me too. Good while it lasted but not anymore.
cs15

Previous

Return to Music