Depeche Mode

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Depeche Mode

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:10 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Sarah, I've never bought one of these combined cd/dvd packages for a studio album, are the videos the promo types or are they live performances of the cd songs?

Dave, you do not get promo videos on the DVD of these CD/DVD sets. There is a documentary which does have the occasional promo clip during the discussion of the album but the main focus is offering purely the music specially remixed for playing through a 5.1 home cinema system.
;)

I see, thanks, we do have a DM CD/DVD package "Depeche Mode the Best of - Volume 1" published in 2006. I'm not sure if this is part of the same series as the studio album CD/DVD packages.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:05 pm

It isn't part of the box set reissues.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:56 am

So chaps which do you think is the best D.M. CD/DVD package, I've decided to bite the bullet and get one for Sandra to see how good they are.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:31 pm

SubHuman wrote:So chaps which do you think is the best D.M. CD/DVD package, I've decided to bite the bullet and get one for Sandra to see how good they are.

So far I'd probably say either 'Black Celebration' or 'Construction Time Again' are definitely the 'best of the bunch' but I think you should pass on 'Music For The Masses' as IMO I think it is definitely one for the completest/avid fan which I guess I have become.

These CD/DVD packages were 2006/2007 releases and comprise the first ten albums. 'Playing The Angel', 'Sounds of the Universe' and 'Delta Machine' are not part of this but I'm definitely going to get 'Delta Machine' as the two (music CDs) disc special edition mainly for the impressive booklet/artwork layout which rather reminds me of the lavish treatment that Duran Duran gave to their 'Rio' album however there isn't nearly as much content here.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Thanks Sarah, I'll have a think about this and find them. Amazon seem to have the CD/DVD sets well hidden as I can't find them online?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:05 am

SubHuman wrote:Thanks Sarah, I'll have a think about this and find them. Amazon seem to have the CD/DVD sets well hidden as I can't find them online?

Here is 'Construction Time Again'... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Construction-Time-Again-Depeche-Mode/dp/B00EJ39B1I/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421402654&sr=1-3&keywords=Depeche+Mode+-+Construction+Time+Again

and here is 'Black Celebration'... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Celebration-Depeche-Mode/dp/B00EJ39B3G/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421402730&sr=1-1&keywords=Depeche+Mode+-+Black+Celebration

...and today I've just this moment order my CD/DVD set for the 'Ultra' album!
;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks Sarah, I've just ordered them.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Received my CD-DVD set for 'Ultra' in yesterdays post and am mighty impressed with the content. I've only had chance to have a brief scan over the entire contents of the DVD to make sure that it plays correctly but am astonished that, at a rough calculation, it adds up to a total of two and a half hours! You've got both the album (60 mins) and the three live tracks (15 1/2 mins) offered in 5.1 sound, five bonus tracks at a total of about 28 mins plus the mighty detailed and no doubt fascinating documentary weighing in at an astonishing forty-seven and half minutes. The booklet itself has a well written intro from Daniel Miller which really sets the scene well as to where the band were at the time (1995-1998) and I look forward to soon, probably at the weekend, fully watching/listening to all that this title has to offer!
=D =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:30 pm

Been checking out the DVD of 'Ultra' this morning and seems like the majority of the album is rather calm and reflective in feel liked you'd find on 'Freestate' and 'The Bottom Line' but you would expect nothing less given that it follows on from 'Songs of Faith and Devotion' and the situation of the band. In the truly excellent highly detailed documentary it is stated that going into the studio was just to record a few songs not an album and see where it would take them. We are told that it took thirteen months to record 'Ultra' and for the song 'Sister of Night' along it took a week to get vocals done such was the situation with Dave.

It was surprising but understandable that we are offered up a couple of instrumentals amongst the eleven tracks. 'Uselink' I thought sounded like something that Kraftwerk might have come up with and made me think of 'Computer Love'. 'Jazz Thieves' I thought made excellent use of 5.1 speakers with a pulsing from right to left rear speaker whilst a bassline beat and metronome tapping took the central front. Definate highlights for me, aside of course from the singles, are 'Sister of Night' and 'The Love Thieves' both are equally melodic and have stunning measured vocals by Dave Gahan, the former offers up occasional jagged edgy synth notes.

Mentioned that they were trying to emulate the feel of 'Violator' has made 'Ultra' a fantastic classic Depeche Mode album and I rate it extremely highly, clearly rubbing shoulders with 'Black Celebration' and 'Construction Time Again', amazing when you consider there was extreme doubt that the record would ever get made of finished such was the situation surrounding the band at the time. IMO an essential Depeche Mode album to have in your collection!
=D =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:56 pm

Having been totally blown away by the CD/DVD package on offer from 'Ultra' which IMO is their finest title in this range I have now received the follow up 'Exciter' in the same two disc format. Immediately popped the DVD into the machine yesterday afternoon to check it over and found the album is approx. 57 mins, the 'Live In Paris' tracks totals 35 mins, there are approx. 26 mins of bonus tracks and the documentary is a little briefer at little over 32 mins... looking forward to properly sitting down and enjoying the DVD contents over this coming weekend! =D =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:42 am

sarah t wrote:Having been totally blown away by the CD/DVD package on offer from 'Ultra' which IMO is their finest title in this range I have now received the follow up 'Exciter' in the same two disc format. Immediately popped the DVD into the machine yesterday afternoon to check it over and found the album is approx. 57 mins, the 'Live In Paris' tracks totals 35 mins, there are approx. 26 mins of bonus tracks and the documentary is a little briefer at little over 32 mins... looking forward to properly sitting down and enjoying the DVD contents over this coming weekend! =D =D

Sounds like I'll have to get some more of the DM CD/DVD packages Sarah.
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:37 pm

Tonight on Sky Art1 - Depeche Mode - Live In Berlin
cs15

Postby Indigo Blue » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:43 am

cs15 wrote:Tonight on Sky Art1 - Depeche Mode - Live In Berlin

HaHa :lol:
I was JUST going to tell all of the MOST brilliant live Berlin concert from Depeche Mode that i watched today :cool:

Dave is such a ROCK star...and Martin's performance of 'Shake The Disease' was sublime :cool:

Is it on DVD?
Indigo Blue

Postby cs15 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:21 pm

It is. Loved the Dublin gig. One of the best DM gigs that I've been lucky to see.
cs15

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:59 pm

After being treated with such an excellent amount of quality sound and documentaries on the first ten albums I was hoping that 'Playing The Angel' would continue that trend. Sadly the DVD on the CD/DVD set is rather lacking in content. Aside from the impressive album in 5.1 and stereo all you get is a total of 16 mins of extra stuff. The 'Making the Angel' doc is a paltry 8:26 long, a 3:44 of 'Clean (bare)', in black and white filmed in the studio and the visually stunning 4 min 'Precious' promo. There is a photo gallery but it is self select and you only get 20 images just around the Santa Barbara studio. Admittedly the 'Making the Angel' doc is interesting getting perspectives from the three guys and album producer and I like getting to see the vast amount of equipment (synths etc) in the studio. The packaging is a Super Jewel Box with both discs on a single fixing point so got be careful about taking and out of the case. The album itself is totally stunning, every track is fantastic and the overall feel is definitely Depeche at their very best. So mixed feelings about this release... :/
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Just moments before 'getting on line' I was listening to the total contents of the DVD of the CD/DVD release of 12th album 'Sounds of the Universe', quite an uneven collection but IMO there are definitely some real gems. Best track for me is 'In Sympathy', 'Peace' sounds pretty good, I like 'Perfect' with good synth notes and the Martin Gore sung 'Jezebel' is quite beautiful. Wrapped up with the satisfying 'Corrupt' it is supposed to be just over 60 mins long however I found 2-3 mins of 'dead air' on the end. The remixes total out at almost 23 mins and I found them rather unremarkable. I hadn't seen the video for 'Wrong', bit shocking on first view but I now realise it is quite clever revealing bits of the mystery of a reversing car and its single passenger. The DVD is rounded off with a 'short film' and it made me rather cringe when Dave said that 'Come Back' is his favourite song on the album as I personally find it rather awful. I am more in tune with Andy whom picked out a few tracks from the album all of which I liked straight away. A bit too brief at only 10 mins so you can't expect too much insight into the album however good to see the studio, the equipment they have, archive gig footage both on and off stage and the guys strolling down a street of an unknown American city. Interesting to hear that Martin has a fascination/addiction to buying things off ebay and it's amazing the varied types of period synths he finds and buys. Overall a great package which despite the odd track disappointment is for me a welcome addition to my Depeche Mode album collection.
:)
sarah t

Postby JJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:20 am

I'm interested to read your various takes on the DM albums, Sarah. Like you, I think SOTU was hit and miss, although unlike you I can't bear Jezebel - to be honest I've not been keen on many of the Martin-sung tracks for the last few albums, and as soon as I heard that first line, I though to myself "I bet the next line will end in the word 'hell'" - and 'sure as Jonah turned whaler' (see what I did there Mode fans? ;)) I was right. Martin being predictable in lyrics is a bad thing!

Anyway the reason for me posting is that certain DM albums taken as a whole always take me back to a certain time / place. Black Celebration will always take me to 1986, when I went to a few of the UK gigs but also headed overseas to see them for the first time. And with Violator, I will always be transported back to April 1990, queueing overnight in the car park at Selhurst Park to buy FA Cup Final tickets, and with just my Sony Walkman to keep me company. It was bitterly cold, and not having taken a chair to sit on I either had to stand up all night, or lie down on the concrete before I fell over from fatigue. So I ended up lying down, looking up at the sky (cloudy, no stars), and listening to Violator on loop. Sounds horrible, and although yes it was bloody cold and totally uncomfortable, I wouldn't have changed doing it for the world. At dawn some of us even got into the ground, went onto the hallowed pitch, and had an impromptu kickabout.

However SOTU as a whole, and In Chains in particular, takes me back to a much darker time. I'd been in Australia for less than a year, and would listen to the album on the train heading into work. At that time I was going through an absolutely hellish time at work - what should have been a dream job, as the role was basically created for me, turned out very early in the piece to be a total nightmare for that first couple of years; I dreaded going in every day, and I'm afraid now every time I listen to the album I'm taken right back to those train journeys, to the scruffy / run-down area just outside Central station (aren't all major rail hubs like that? They're always so grey!) and then to a working day where the only good thing about it was going home later. Rather than SOTU perhaps I should have listened to Black Day on loop. :)
JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:25 am

Indigo Blue wrote:Dave is such a ROCK star...

Unfortunately, yes. This is why I stopped really enjoying their gigs after the World Violation tour. Dave wants to be a rock star, and I want to see a "gods of electronic music" show. For every elongated drum roll from Eigner at the end of a song, for every time Dave shrieked "try walking in maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh shoessssssssss - yeah that's right!!", and for every time that feckin' Wookie on piano added his own plinky plonk to Martin's genius songs, another sliver of my love for them died.
JJ

Postby Panzermensch » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:26 am

I hear you brotha! These days you can almost set your clock from when Gahan delivers his cliché rocking screams, belts, burps etc. And I wish they could take a note from other electronic contemporaries like HL, OMD and New Order where the drummer keeps it tight and simple instead of behaving like Animal from Muppet SHow!
Panzermensch

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:20 am

Panzermensch wrote:I hear you brotha! These days you can almost set your clock from when Gahan delivers his cliché rocking screams, belts, burps etc. And I wish they could take a note from other electronic contemporaries like HL, OMD and New Order where the drummer keeps it tight and simple instead of behaving like Animal from Muppet SHow!

I think it is a hang over from 'living the rock and roll lifestyle' around "Songs of Faith and Devotion" time
sarah t

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:40 am

No question about that, Sarah. I remember when I first saw Dave at the Crystal Palace Devotional gig in July 1993 and was genuinely shocked. And that wasn't even the worst of it for him - that came with the Ultra period.
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:44 am

Received the special edition two disc of 'Delta Machine' yesterday. Stiff cardboard book type packaging with the CD's in the inner sleeves, front and back. Twenty eight pages with six pages of song lyrics the rest is a mixture of colour and black and white pics of the trio... typical Anton Corbijn type stuff. As to the discs first one has the approx. 58min album whilst the second offers up four tracks of about 17mins in total. IMO Modestly better than the standard release in content... :/
sarah t

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:38 am

Ultra was the last album of theirs I really enjoyed end to end (and frightening to think it is nearly 20 years old!), though Playing The Angel is pretty good too. I found SOTU and Delta Machine pretty bland, nothing really stood out. Exciter was probably the most inappropriately named album since Gary Numan's Dance. Home from Ultra remains my favourite Depeche Mode song, it often makes me cry.
I'm sure I read recently that the band are going back into the studio soon to do a new album. Having bought every DM release since (I think) See You on day of release I'll get it but I'm not overly excited.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby sarah t » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:25 pm

Wearing my 'Violator' T-Shirt yesterday and chatting with our new Spanish Oxfam bookshop manager Santi who said that she was also a fan... how cool is that! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:37 pm

very impressive and pretty definitive this looks like something certainly worth getting...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LWU4C12/ref=pd_sim_15_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GYD3VXF897GZYQDPYJJD
=D =D =D
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to Music