Depeche Mode

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Depeche Mode

Postby Danny C » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:17 pm

sarah t wrote:very impressive and pretty definitive this looks like something certainly worth getting...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LWU4C12/ref=pd_sim_15_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GYD3VXF897GZYQDPYJJD
=D =D =D

3 DVDs for £27? Shouldn't they be charging £180 or something? :lol:
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby cs15 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:25 pm

So Depeche have a new album coming out 'Spirit' in Spring next year and a 32 city Eiropean tour later in the year.

Only 1 UK date and no Irish date? Hate stadium gigs but would still have gone to see them. Anyone else planning to go?
Last edited by cs15 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs15

Postby Pauline » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:50 pm

No to stadiums, from me. Hoping for maybe an Arena tour after?? If not, then i'll need to give them a miss this time.
Pauline

Postby cs15 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:18 pm

cs15

Postby JJ » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:48 am

Pauline wrote:No to stadiums, from me.

By an absolute country mile, the worst DM gig I ever went to was at Crystal Palace Stadium (the athletics one, not the Mecca of Football). Just the name of the venue alone should have made it a great one for me, and in terms of geography "we'll never be closer to home than we are right now!" (in the words of Sturgeon/Robert Duvall in Deep Impact ;))

But I thought everything about it was total crap. First of all the dickhead lead singer of Sisters of Mercy (who were the support) made a disparaging comment about their hosts as he walked off stage: "Enjoy the puppet show" he sneered. "F*ck you, and your boring shite geetars" I thought straight back.

Second, I'd gone with a mate who wanted to sit in the seats for the gig, so feckin' miles from the stage.

Thirdly, it was the point - in my opinion - when because of Dave Gahan's wish to be a rock star rather than a pop star their live performance, and his in particular, started on that downward spiral. He looked awful, he sounded awful, and it was a crap gig when it should have been quite the opposite.

I realise this all has nothing to do with the venue, except for the sitting "Miles Away" part (see what I did there DM fans?) but I've now forever associated large stadium gigs with this one.

It should also be written law that no headline band should appear outdoors in daylight. I hate festivals, I hate outdoor gigs.

Rant over.

Actually I would also just add that I'm apparently in a small minority in my dislike of this gig - everyone else that ever mentions it bangs on about it being one of the best ever. They mention things like how there was lightning during Personal Jesus or Higher Love - whichever it was. Well I don't even remember that. I have cast it from my brain. Gone.

I love DM, I just wish they'd be good live again. Not that it matters of course, because they'll never bother with coming to Aus anyway.

There, now the rant really is over.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Panzermensch » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:28 pm

I was there too JJ!!! Not my best DM gig but certainly not my worst either.

I'm torn about the new tour as I hate stadium gigs as much as the next middle aged man, but I will go for a couple in the summer (Copenhagen and probably Stockholm) and hopefully there'll be some indoor gigs later in 2017.
Panzermensch

Postby SubHuman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:45 pm

I wouldn't mind outdoor gigs if you could guarantee good weather, but standing for several hours in the rain is not my idea of a fun time. =(
SubHuman

Postby Stig Olsen » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Panzermensch wrote: I'm torn about the new tour as I hate stadium gigs as much as the next middle aged man, but I will go for a couple in the summer (Copenhagen and probably Stockholm) and hopefully there'll be some indoor gigs later in 2017.
Technically speaking, the gig in Copenhagen will be indoor, seeing the roof is in use.....just saying :p
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby sarah t » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Got my hands on a copy of the 'Video Singles Collection' and although I absolutely love the fully comprehensive content I cannot help but be overly critical about the packaging. Firstly three DVD discs slotted into holes on a divided piece of stiff high quality cardboard would I believe no doubt result in accidental scratching/damaging of the discs. Fortunately I've been able to get some small plastic cover bags to protect my discs rather than sliding them into the cardboard slots. You flip over to the back of the box and there you have it, the complete list of all the videos featured in the collection however no idea how they are split amongst the discs and whilst the variety of colours might look good in theory, in practice it is in some places very difficult to read. Good to see a choice of one, two or three new single person commentaries on offer for selected videos which certainly offers added appeal and insight. There is 16 page booklet on glossy high quality paper with abstract colour patterning overlaying images of various promos but again no indication as to how the videos are spread across the discs. The discs themselves all look virtually identical aside from extremely small very hard to see writing on the outer edge where in you will find the words 'DISC ONE', 'DISC TWO' or 'DISC THREE'

So I've been checking over the DVDs and disc one offers 20 promos at 81 mins and disc two offers 19 promos at 84 mins. When I turned to disc three it was not as straightforward to see the total running time when selecting the 'play all' option. You get four videos at 15 1/2 mins and then some other individual videos after that. I've done the maths and it is 16 promos at a total of 63 mins. The 4 bonus music videos adds up to 20 1/2 mins.

Don't get me wrong I am absolutely thrilled to get this marvellously comprehensive 'Video Singles Collection' but with just a bit more care and attention to detail on the packaging it would be a much better way of preserving such a great 3 DVD set as this!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:24 am

Yeah, I'm not a great fan of cardboard packaging but it seems to be the in thing, no doubt for cheapness, However it's not likely to scratch the disks, I don't like the fact that the corners tend to get dog-eared with time and the artwork also gets scuffed. However plastic is also not without drawbacks, scratched and cracked cases for instance. I usually transfer disks to plastic cases along with the booklet and keep the cardboard packaging in an old shoe box.
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:20 pm

Just heard Depeche Mode's 'Where's The Revolution?' Very boring. Great sentiment but boring track. It just floats along at the same pace for what seems like forever. Hugely disappointing. Could have been a track lifted from any of the last 3 albums.

http://thequietus.com/articles/21712-ne ... ode-single
cs15

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:07 pm

cs15 wrote:Just heard Depeche Mode's 'Where's The Revolution?' Very boring. Great sentiment but boring track. It just floats along at the same pace for what seems like forever. Hugely disappointing. Could have been a track lifted from any of the last 3 albums.
I made this my answer, Patric

□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 pm

=D

I can't believe that they chose this to be the lead single. It's really, surprisingly bad. :O
The vocal melody is the same over and over. Sad that the once mighty DM have come to this.
cs15

Postby sarah t » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:31 pm

Personally I don't mind 'Where's the Revolution' and on first listen very much underwhelming but I've really grown to love this band and am used to their differing musical styles throughout their long career.

I have immediately placed my pre-order this morning for the deluxe edition of 'Spirit' out in March...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spirit-Deluxe-Depeche-Mode/dp/B01MYBPKA6/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1487244394&sr=1-1&keywords=depeche+mode+-+spirit+deluxe
=D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:20 pm

There is now an official promo... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCR05oKROA, amusing to see them wearing long beards.

I think the images reflect the lyrics well and it is definitely growing on me. :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:53 pm

Didn't mind Where's The Revolution although not their best thing. I wouldn't be buying the new album until I've heard some more tracks from it.
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:56 pm

I'd love them to come back with an album full of hooks and decent tunes and not 'more of the same' like the last 4 albums. Anyone any idea how 'Where's The Revolution?' did chart wise? All 3 singles from Delta Machine made the Top 100 (lower end) but can't see WTR troubling even the lower end of the chart.
cs15

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 am

cs15 wrote:I'd love them to come back with an album full of hooks and decent tunes and not 'more of the same' like the last 4 albums. Anyone any idea how 'Where's The Revolution?' did chart wise? All 3 singles from Delta Machine made the Top 100 (lower end) but can't see WTR troubling even the lower end of the chart.

Well not the UK charts anyway... bet it does well overseas, particularly in Germany! ;)
sarah t

Postby cs15 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Is this their first lead single (apart from Dreaming Of Me the debut) not to reach the Top 100 in the UK??
cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 pm

cs15 wrote:Is this their first lead single (apart from Dreaming Of Me the debut) not to reach the Top 100 in the UK??

Just had a look at the official charts and DOM got to No. 57. No info for 'Where's the revolution?' so I assume it didn't chart. However, tellingly, 'Heaven' only got to No. 90 after an appearance on the Jonathan Ross TV show. I agree with the comments above that this is a weak song and a poor lead single. Unfortunately it's a long time since I expected anything special from a new Depeche album. It appears that they are on autopilot for a long time. The exact four-year gap between albums. No matter how disappointing the albums are it will not make a difference to the attendances at the live shows. Yes they put on a spectacular show but I can't bear to watch Dave anymore. Closing his eyes while singing. Elongating the last word of almost every line of every song. The facial expressions of a World Gurning Championships contestant. Removing the jacket after song one. Waistcoat underneath. Stripped to the waist by song 5. The grisly stubble. If he put as much effort into the music as he does in the gym then there might be something worthwhile. The album artwork is diabolical. The last decent one was 'Ultra' - 20 years ago! I think that the production team was the main reason for the success of that album.

It's a far cry from an innovative band that had a very charismatic lead singer. It's a cliche but they never recovered from the loss of Alan Wilder. Such a talented guy. Just looking at the new album's song titles leads me to believe that this will be a poor album. I would love to be proven wrong but I seriously doubt it.
Knowlesy

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:13 am

I agree with much of what you say Stephen. As it happens I think Delta Machine was better than the few albums preceding it, but for me I don't expect they'll ever hit the heights of 84-90 again. I accept that for what it is - let's face it, none of us expect THL to equal or beat Dare! do we (leaving aside the issue of whether they'll release another album or not)? Everyone hits their peak at some stage, and by definition everything else isn't as good as that peak. But just because it suffers comparatively doesn't mean it has to be crap. I don't think DM have put out a crap album as such, but I do think the number of "misses" in them is higher than before.

Don't get me started on them live. I've said it on here before, that I'm really not interested in them being a pseudo-rock band. Although it irks me that I haven't seen them live since 2006, my wanting to see them is only in the vain hope that one day they'll go back to being what they're best at. I bought the blu ray of the last tour, and I haven't even watched it. That's how much I care about their current live stuff.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby Kevin Caywood » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:42 am

Agree and disagree. Yes their singles ever reaching the top of the charts won't probably ever happen. However Human League, Pet Shop Boys and Duran Duran had releases within the last 5 or 10 years with songs that are appealing and interesting. Whether they cater to pop or synth enthusiasts. Songs that feel like they could be on the radio or at a club. Depeche Mode songs are making songs for people who are more rock enthusiasts. They are still using synths but strip that away and all you have is songs that are basically substitutes for U2, Foo Fighters or Metallica.
Kevin Caywood

Postby cs15 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 am

Agree that 'Delta Machine' is the best of a bad bunch and I certainly wouldn't expect them to reach peak Mode again but an album that you want to listen to more than say 2 or 3 times is the least we can expect. Where's The Revolution? has come and gone in the blink of an eye and has made vertually no impact outside of Mode devotees. Completely forgettable tune. Let's hope that it's not indicative of what the album holds.
cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:55 am

Some very good points JJ & Kevin. It's the disappointment in the quality of their live shows that irritates me the most. I watched the highlights of their last tour on Sky Arts a while ago and it's Dave's OTT gestures and expressions that are painful to watch. Less is most definitely more. I'm very aware that JJ, Stig, Panzermensch and many others are far more knowledgeable than I am about DM. I also think that Dave's enthusiasm for Soulsavers' music has had an influence on recent material. Listening to WTR? I can only hear a vocal melody and a very predictable one at that. As Stig so brilliantly summed up in his graphic there is no memorable tune and they have moved so far away from what made them unique.

You're totally right JJ about each band reaching their peak/imperial phase. Deep down I'd say DM are fully aware that they will never top their older material. I once met a guy who had this great concept of the Rock and Roll Terminator. The Terminator would change musical history by stopping artists when they had reached their peak so you only remember them at their very best. So for example Prince would have been stopped after the MBGITW single (TAFKAP phase) or earlier if you prefer. Of course this leads to debates and arguments about when exactly this point in time would be.
Knowlesy

Postby Panzermensch » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:33 am

I actually quite like WTR. Yes, it could've been better, but at least it's not Heaven! (what a lowpoint in DM history). Big chorus, rumbling bass, nice electronics and a slide guitar reminding me of Violator. I guess that sums up that the expectations sadly has been lowered when it comes to DM relesaing new stuff. Haven't listened to WTR for the last couple of weeks, trying not to overplay it before the album as I for once will resist the temptation of listening to the album prior to it's release. Will go oldfashioned and buy the cd on it's release date and listen to it in it's full context with the volume cranked up on a decent sound system. So far the reviews of the new album (from fans) have been lukewarm, so I'm trying to have realistic hopes of what to expect.

I'm as bored as JJ and Knowsley when it comes to Gahan's stage performance and Corbin's live designs.And don't get me started on Eigner and Gordeno's contribution! But they still put on a hell of a live show and there's enough for me to enjoy to get past those limitations. On the last couple of tours I've managed to catch 7 shows, I may not reach that amount this time, but hope at least 4-6.
Panzermensch

PreviousNext

Return to Music