Gary Numan

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Gary Numan

Postby Tycho » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:28 am

I have a limited edition 10" single of "I Can't Stop" :-)
Tycho

Postby JJ » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Sarah, for me the period of 83-86 is my favourite for Numan. Berserker is a fabulous album. I know I'm in a small minority in liking that period but I still regularly listen to Berserker, The Fury and Strange Charm.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Couldn't find it on the website (http://www.musicweek.com) but in the published magazine here in Southampton library on pages 20 & 21 there is a two page interview with Gary. I've done my best to digital camera photography this for you guys, hope the text is readable...

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/saraht1102/MusicWeek27Sep-Numan01_zps78157352.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/saraht1102/MusicWeek27Sep-Numan02_zps14f000a6.jpg
:)
sarah t

Postby Indigo Blue » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:20 pm

JJ wrote:Sarah, for me the period of 83-86 is my favourite for Numan. Berserker is a fabulous album. I know I'm in a small minority in liking that period but I still regularly listen to Berserker, The Fury and Strange Charm.

Same here. :)
Indigo Blue

Postby Merle3564 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 am

hi sarah t!

Thanks for sharing.
Merle3564

gary numan

Postby amyjade456_ » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:05 pm

favourite gary numan song? mines cars
'love me well or love me badly do you have to love me madly?'
amyjade456_

Re: gary numan

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Please just have a quick look / use the search function before starting a new thread in case there's already one for the same subject. That's the case here so I'll merge the two. Thanks!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Thu May 29, 2014 10:36 am

Fairly quiet time at present so taking the opportunity to get back in touch with what Numan has been doing since my last new album that I bought namely 'Pure'

Just ordered 'Jagged', Dead Son Rising' and the recently released 'Splinter' from Amazon sellers... hopefully be some good stuff on these CDs!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:43 pm

sarah t wrote:Fairly quiet time at present so taking the opportunity to get back in touch with what Numan has been doing since my last new album that I bought namely 'Pure'

Just ordered 'Jagged', Dead Son Rising' and the recently released 'Splinter' from Amazon sellers... hopefully be some good stuff on these CDs!

These three 'touched down' in my flat in Saturday's post. I've only so far listened to 'Jagged' but generally impressed with the overall feel and thought the title track, 'Haunted' and 'In A Dark Place' are definitely highlights. Not exactly one you can sing/dance along with but certainly got a distinctive atmospheric feel to it that will certainly grow on me. Hope to get round to the other two sometime soon.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Moved on to listen to 'Dead Son Rising' at the weekend and for the most part was rather disappointed with whats on offer apart from track seven 'The Fall' which has got to be the best new song I've heard from Gary for quite some time, truly stunning! Made all the better because it follows, rather surprisingly, the rather restful ballard 'Not the Love We Dream of'.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:24 am

over the past week I've been having a few listens to 'Splinter' and I have to say that I love where Gary is musically at the moment. This is a truely stunning new album with much to commend. Spinning the disc last night I made notes on a couple of songs.

Everything Comes Down To This
'dark and brooding but with occasional past Numan familiar synth riffs in the background'

Love Hurt Bleeds
'pulsing pounding beat, dance floor stomper, Numan's soft spoken vocals work well against the emotively powerful music'

For me definitely the strongest of the three newest albums he has released that I've got recently, long may he continue down this musically impressive road! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:12 am

Gary Numan wasn't my favourite artist from the new wave. I like some of the early singles and albums but I though he rather went off the boil after 81. There is a long list of singles and albums that didn't do very well in the charts, and listening to them I can understand why. Still he was an interesting phenomena and I hope he does well in the future.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:50 pm

SubHuman wrote:Gary Numan wasn't my favourite artist from the new wave. I like some of the early singles and albums but I though he rather went off the boil after 81. There is a long list of singles and albums that didn't do very well in the charts, and listening to them I can understand why. Still he was an interesting phenomena and I hope he does well in the future.

He continues to have a large and very loyal fan following that is not dependant on chart success. Creatively I, and possibily other people on this forum, think he is has much, much more to offer.
sarah t

Postby amyjade456_ » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm really tempted to go to his gig at Leamington tomorrow and just buy from the box office. Is anyone from the forum going? =D
'love me well or love me badly do you have to love me madly?'
amyjade456_

Postby cs15 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:02 pm

cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:34 am

cs15 wrote:Numan's 'I Am Dust' is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMAz9jofm_4#t=196

I agree Patric. The best video he's made in ages too.

Check out the repeat of TOTP on BBC 4 when Cars reached No.1 in 79 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jy45x
Knowlesy

Postby SubHuman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:57 am

Just seen this on YouTube, Gary Numan and Little Boots Are 'Friends' Electric:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQW4lnonno

Rather exposes Victoria's singing ability, nice arrangement though.

She does better with Venus In Furs:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETEv1Xt4WY
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Does anyone else check out any of his earlier stuff. It's been quite a while but it was good to revisit my CD copy of "Replicas" yesterday. Yeah I know it is best known for having 'Are Friends Electric?' and 'Down In The Park', IMO quite rightly timeless classics but there are some other great gems on offer. I particularly like 'It Must Have Been Years', 'Me I Disconnect from You' and 'Praying To The Aliens', the latter for its extreme spooky atmosphere and sci-fi influence.

Must get round to having another look at the rest of my collection particularly the songs 'Dream Police', 'Waiting for the Siren's and the catchy 'Engineers'
sarah t

Postby JJ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:59 pm

I only like his earlier stuff Sarah. After Strange Charm I'm 'meh'.
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 am

JJ wrote:I only like his earlier stuff Sarah. After Strange Charm I'm 'meh'.

Yeah I remember you saying that. I guess my posting was more specific than your reply. ;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:37 am

One thing about 'Replicas' is although there is a lot of great stuff one I personally am rather disappointed by what I feel is the fairly lackluster, directionless title track which I usually skip
sarah t

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:11 am

As you may know Numan is funding his latest album through Pledge Music, he's locked into an October release date and is giving regular updates to people who have pledged.

I wonder if this model would work for the Human League; though it's hard to ascertain (or even guess) how many 'hardcore' fans they have around the world.

As I mentioned in the Ultravox thread a new track featuring Gary is on a John Foxx compilation, 21st Century Man out at the end of April.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 am

Regardless of how many fans would participate in a pledge campaign for a new League album I can't envisage it ever happening. Mainly because Philip has stated in many interviews that he thinks the album format is now outdated. Secondly I don't think they would ever choose that option, even if they recorded new music regularly. I believe it would tarnish their legacy.

I'm very disappointed that Gary has chosen this route and unless he uses a producer and musicians I don't think he will make this deadline as his track record regarding deadlines, since the Pure album, is atrocious. I haven't and won't pledge as I'm not interested in his current music. He has been stuck in a rut (musically) for a long time and a fresh approach is required. It's appeal is far too limited. I know many fans are also disappointed by this and some of the items up for sale in the campaign. Getting the best manager and producer he can would have a huge impact if he was more focused. However, my feeling is that he doesn't really want to make a new album. It's more to do with money and wanting to be seen as a current act. The John Foxx and Jean-Michel Jarre collaborations should be excellent as both these men have a strong work ethic, will insist on songs with a much wider appeal and force Gary to move out of his comfort zone and get the best out of him. He has praised Jarre, in particular, for tactfully demanding many improvements all of which he has admitted has improved the song called 'Here for you'. This will appear on Jarre's second Electronica album called 'The Heart of Noise' in early May. Gary is also working with Andy Gray and that will undoubtedly be far more interesting than the new album, whenever it is released.
Knowlesy

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Some of you may be interested in a documentary about Gary which is on BBC Four this Friday the 25th at 11pm - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b083dj1 ... 2&ns_fee=0

I haven't seen it yet but can tell you that it focuses on his move to LA and the recording of the Splinter album.
Knowlesy

Postby sarah t » Fri May 26, 2017 11:54 am

Just been over to the official website and I like the new image (and typeface) he has associated with the forthcoming soon new album 'Savage'. I think it is a pleasant visual contrast to the artwork and image of last album 'Splinter'

Gary says of his outfit that
The clothes I’m wearing are not desert clothes, they are pseudo military looking (and meant to look worn out in the harshness of that world) and represent the way we may all need to look if policies designed to stop the effects of global warning are abandoned or ignored in certain vitally important key regions of the world over the next four years.

To clarify his new direction he further says to clarify...
Savage then is a theme album by and large. Set in a post apocalyptic future where the earth has been devastated by global warming and what remains is mostly harsh, barren and desert like. The various cultures of the people that survived have, over generations, essentially merged into one. That merging driven mostly by the necessities of surviving in the environment that remains. The language spoken in this future world is essentially English, but the Middle Eastern influence is seen everywhere (hence the typeface I’ve chosen for the artwork). There is therefore a subtle but definite Middle Eastern influence musically on this album here and there, in some melodies especially, and that was deliberate. The music has to reflect the idea of cultures merging that exists in this fictional future. The book (and therefore the album) is based upon concerns about the catastrophic effects of ignoring global warming, and how the survivors must adapt, and nothing at all to do with comparing existing cultures, terrorism, religion or nuclear war. The title, Savage, does not refer to a person, or to a culture, but to the environment the people exist in in this forbidding future, and the new photos are meant to depict a scene from that. It is certainly not meant to imply that people that live in a desert region are ‘Savage’.

Very much drawing on his well known interest in science fiction combined with that Middle Eastern feel of music I for one am very excited to hear what he has created and will be particularly looking out for the deluxe edition that he hinted at.
=D
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to Music