Duran Duran

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Duran Duran

Postby sarah t » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:29 pm

True to their word I received Duran Duran’s new album ‘Paper Gods’ on the day of release, dropping through my letter box yesterday. Immediately listening to it I am definitely mighty impressed with what I hear on this CD and on that first listen the album tracks that particularly stand out straight away are the fairly long title track (weighing in at seven minutes), ‘Danceophobia’ and ‘Change The Skyline’. The last of these three is definitely my favourite thanks in part to a great synth intro the feel of which resonates through a track that I personally would pick as the next single release if there is to be one! I went for the ‘Deluxe’ version which brings a further three songs on board and swelling the total running time of all fifteen tracks out to seventy minutes. Downside of this release? Well maybe I’m being a bit picky but considering the lavish ridged cardboard box and amount of content on offer for previous album ‘All You Need Is Now’ I’m not entirely sure from a packaging point of view that this ‘Deluxe’ version is worthy of the additional price over the standard release. Just like Human League’s ‘Credo’ it is a standard two slip card container, one for the CD (which I note has no group name or album title on it (how many people will lose this if they put it in their car’s CD auto-changer machine?)) and the other for the booklet. This runs to sixteen pages, four for individual band member black and white photo, five pages of four pic blue and white images of instruments used and four pages of track credits and band thanks. The only lyrics you will find are on pages two and three, rough handwritten scrawl of the albums title track. Generally I like the many images affixed to the front and rear of the cardboard case relating to previous releases… I think I can identify most of them but feel rather disappointed that the only identifying mark of the groups name and album title can be found on the spine of the container and the apart from the booklet the only indication that this is the deluxe version is a small black and white sticker affixed to the cellophane wrapping. Anyway my minor personal niggles aside I definitely love this release which I’m sure will got a lot of playing during the immediate future. There is still that familiar Duran Duran sound both through the vocals and synths but certain lyrics and musical feel makes sure that this definitely has a 2015 feel to it. Commercially I hope it does well as it certainly deserves to!
=D =D
sarah t

Postby Glinda » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:52 pm

Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't blown away by this album. Pressure Off was great and there were a few good songs, but nothing that memorable.

They are trying hard to be modern and do the EDM thing, but I think they lost a bit of what makes them Duran Duran. And I could do without all those guests.

I don't see it doing too much on the charts.
Glinda

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:01 am

Glinda wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't blown away by this album. Pressure Off was great and there were a few good songs, but nothing that memorable.

They are trying hard to be modern and do the EDM thing, but I think they lost a bit of what makes them Duran Duran. And I could do without all those guests.

I don't see it doing too much on the charts.

Sorry to hear that... I think there is an attempt to retain a typical Duran Duran sound and I think this is a good clip to illustrate the creative process for Paper Gods https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ8eyiGg8_4
:)
sarah t

Postby cs15 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm with Glinda on this one. Finding the album a bit bland and uninteresting. 2 or3 decent tracks but otherwise bland and forgettable. Sad to say. Would love them to come back with a huge hit but this isn't it.
cs15

Postby Glinda » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:25 pm

Well, I guess we were wrong. Apparently, it debuted at #5 on the charts which is quite good for them. Better than All You Need is Know. I will have to listen to it some more when I get a chance. Maybe it will grow on me.
Glinda

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:14 am

They're playing the Hollywood Bowl in a couple of days - that's about a 5 minute drive from where we're staying.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:39 pm

You should go JJ if you get the chance. They are still a great live band. I'm still finding 'Paper Gods' to be a disappointment. They are the cover stars on this month's Classic Pop magazine.
cs15

Postby JJ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:37 am

I won't get the chance. It's sold out, and we are flying home that evening anyway.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:48 pm

cs15 wrote:You should go JJ if you get the chance. They are still a great live band. I'm still finding 'Paper Gods' to be a disappointment. They are the cover stars on this month's Classic Pop magazine.

Didn't realise that Classic Pop magazine was still around... haven't seen it in newsagents/supermarkets for quite a long time. Is it subscriber only now???
sarah t

Postby cs15 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:20 pm

I don't think so. I've seen it in many newsagents over here. I was in London last week and saw it in WH Smiths.
cs15

Postby Glinda » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:42 pm

cs15 wrote:You should go JJ if you get the chance. They are still a great live band. I'm still finding 'Paper Gods' to be a disappointment. They are the cover stars on this month's Classic Pop magazine.

Yes, people should still go to see them. They only do a few songs from Paper Gods. They still do most of their older hits. Simon's voice is fantastic, even better than it was in the 80's!

Is the article in Classic Pop any good? I find that magazine a little disappointing even though it's a good concept in theory. Most of their articles are kind of superficial, they don't tell you much you wouldn't already know. Also it tends to have quite a few factual errors.
Glinda

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:07 am

Glinda wrote:
Is the article in Classic Pop any good? I find that magazine a little disappointing even though it's a good concept in theory. Most of their articles are kind of superficial, they don't tell you much you wouldn't already know. Also it tends to have quite a few factual errors.

It's riddled with errors - I seem to get a letter in each issue with my corrections! I wonder if they need a proof-reader/sub-editor..? =D
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby SubHuman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Yes Classic Pop could do with a good editor, it's a pit because the artwork's very good and then they go and spoilt it with poor research, I stopped getting it months ago.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:48 pm

'live from the Eden Project'

Radio 2 - 3-6-2016, 9-11pm
BBC1 - 4-6-2016 late night & red button
sarah t

Previous

Return to Music