Duran Duran

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Postby cs15 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:07 pm

I think that's a bit harsh Octopus. Agreed it's not classic Duran but it's not trash. They must be absolutely gutted with that chart position considering the amount of press they have had.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby One Man » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:48 am

I think the UK public has a complete non-interest with Duran Duran and it's only the media who hype it up. I'm currently in New York and I thought they were playing here for a stupid length of time. I now know they have been and gone. If I was a fan I would know that, but the media probably led me to believe they were here for the long run. Or I was stupid.
9/10
One Man

Postby octopus » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Sorry,cs15.
I thinks its really bad,bland,trudge along,run of the mill duran,the likes of which i thought they had left behind.I have read many comparing it to ordinary world which is an insult.
octopus

Postby cs15 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 pm

I do think it's a tad boring myself to be honest but it's not that bad. I heard a reviewer rip the album to pieces on the radio today. Vicious review. Has anybody got the album yet?

*and it's nothing like Ordinary World*
Last edited by cs15 on Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs15

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:26 pm

Yes I've got it and like it. Going against the flow, I really like Falling Down. The low chart placing of the single may be, in part, due to only one physical format with one bonus live track - Sunrise and, more importantly, lack of radio airplay. I agree that Nite-Runner is a good choice of single.
Knowlesy

Postby Pauline » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:24 am

...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby sarah t » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:36 pm

Read earlier today, for those of you who have access to the music channel...

Duran Duran's gig at London Lyceum on December 3 is to be shown on VH1 on December 22... keep a check on the listings page http://www.mtv.co.uk/channel/mtvuk/schedule for exact time.
sarah t

Postby cs15 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:18 am

Duran are guests on the X Factor next Saturday night. Brilliant exposure for them with 9 million people watching.
cs15

Postby Pauline » Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:21 am

OFGS !!!!! I'm at THL and my DVD recorder ain't working !! *sobs*

I'd better sort summat oot :/
Pauline

Postby Pauline » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:03 pm

Pauline

Postby One Man » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 am

Last edited by One Man on Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
9/10
One Man

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:32 pm

Thanks for your post One Man

Looking forward to the VH1 broadcast of said concert and will now probably get the CD, following your recommendation, sometime in the next few weeks
:)
sarah t

Postby Pauline » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:37 pm

JEALOUS *wails*
Pauline

Postby Girls on Phil » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:38 pm

Here's some YouTube stuff of DD doing their best Kraftwerk impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMU-3qb8Cjk&feature=related

All She Wants bit sounds great, not sure about Simons' Warm Leatherette though
:(

There is also a clip of Showroom Dummies but I couldn't get it to play :(
Girls on Phil

Postby Knowlesy » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:49 pm

Duran Duran played a superb show in Dublin's Phoenix Park (marquee) last night!! A 2 hour set but no Kraftwerk tunes as described in One Man's excellent review of the Lyceum gig.

They opened with tracks from the new album, which received a lukewarm reception. Falling Down and Nite-Runner were very well recieved though. The former got the best reaction to the new material. I suspect the majority were here for the hits although you could spot the die-hard set singing along to every song. It was an excellent set which covered all phases of their career. Well the Thank You album wasn't represented but that was about it. They were all clad in military style black jackets giving them a co-ordinated, almost army-like look. Very cool and Simon and John's jackets had a large white D on the left side. John Taylor was clearly in top form. He played a synth for a couple of the new songs. He prowled the stage and was very animated and so enthusiastic and excited by their new album which sounds wonderful live. Never seen him as invigorated as he was feeling every note of the music. A joy to watch. It took a few songs to get the crowd going but we had lift off as soon as the opening notes of Hungry like the Wolf were played.

The highlight of the night for me was a sublime rendition of the highly underrated Do you believe in shame? which Simon sung with a lot of passion and the song seamlessly segued into a terrific extended version of Planet Earth.

The new guitarist, Dom, is highly likeable and a talented musician. I much prefer his presence on stage than Andy Taylor's cliched rock god image of permanently wearing shades and smoking a ciggie look. Roger's drumming and Nick's keyboard playing were effortless and powerful.

Early in the set Simon said: "This is Red Carpet Massacre - get used to it" with a tone that meant we're not here trading on old glories we're proud and excited by our new album. Belligerent? Yes. The right attitude. Yes. It's hard to describe but it felt to me that the band have been re-born with a zest and zeal that they may not have felt for a long, long time. The on-stage chemistry between all band members was clear for all to see. They were on fire at times and showed that, without the usual impressive lighting and video screens, that these guys can really cut it live and continue to surprise with their desire to make good new music and deliver a memorable performance rather than lazily go through the motions. Simon and John both complimented the audience. I'm sure many female hearts melted as John said "We love you" and it sounded very sincere. He was awesome last night. Fantastic bass playing and a contagious life affirming attitude.

Overall then, it was so much better than expected. A large crowd, in a tent, on a cold, December night, in the middle of a park, just couldn't get enough of the wild boys.
Knowlesy

Postby decophile » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:54 pm

Girls on Phil wrote:Here's some YouTube stuff of DD doing their best Kraftwerk impressions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMU-3qb8Cjk&feature=related

All She Wants bit sounds great, not sure about Simons' Warm Leatherette though
:(

There is also a clip of Showroom Dummies but I couldn't get it to play :(

LOVE the threads!!
decophile

Postby One Man » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Cheers for that Knowlesy - excellent as ever. I don't think we got Hungry Like The Wolf though. I know they are touring next year and I would go again.
9/10
One Man

Postby cs15 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Great review Steve.

I enjoyed the gig but really could have done without the amount of RCM that we got. I do like the album but it's just not Duran enough for me. It's their Crash if you like - it's Duran but it's not really Duran but it is growing on me.
cs15

Postby decophile » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Album isn't bad. I still LOVE Niterunner!
decophile

Postby Pauline » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:52 pm

cs15 wrote:I enjoyed the gig but really could have done without the amount of RCM that we got.

I'd always had the impression that they would play the full album at the 2 shows ? I wouldn't mind that so much as it was advertised as so. However, if i wasn't expecting it, i wouldn't be too happy !

Soooooo jealous - AND 2 of my mates got to go to the London aftershow as one of their managers knows DDs manager (or summat along those lines) Gutted> :(
Pauline

Postby Pauline » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:59 am

I just saw some of the London Lyceum gig on TMF, and i spotted OneMan nodding along to *Notorious* !! :lol:

Pfthththththhhththt
Pauline

Postby One Man » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:24 am

:o :o :o :o

Oh the shame!!! I'll have to find it on You Tube
9/10
One Man

Postby decophile » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:11 am

Pauline wrote:I just saw some of the London Lyceum gig on TMF, and i spotted OneMan nodding along to *Notorious* !! :lol:

Pfthththththhhththt

I'm absolutely in love with One Man :D
Last edited by decophile on Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
decophile

Postby One Man » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:24 pm

:o :o :o :o

Double shame!!!! ;)

Looked on Youtube for it but Viacom have exercised their copyright muscle. I deserved a personal copy of the video for the price of that ticket. Really like the new album although, like Pauline, I feel that I shouldn't.
9/10
One Man

Postby cs15 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:21 pm

The album deffo gets better with more plays. Have been listening to it quite a bit over the Xmas/New Year period. Much better than Astronaut.
cs15

PreviousNext

Return to Music