Visage

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Visage

Postby JJ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:22 am

I must have left by then cos I don't remember any of us talking to him, he always seemed pretty surrounded. DJ Styx's band did a small gig in the back room. I remember Martin Fry was there too.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: Visage

Postby Pauline » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:12 pm

I can't remember any of that!!! :/ Maybe it was a different time when we met him then.
Pauline
Member
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Visage

Postby JJ » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:59 pm

We did go there another time when he was launching a club night.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: Visage

Postby Pauline » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:03 pm

I've now remembered Martin Fry standing next to us and I couldn't breathe!!
Pauline
Member
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Visage

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:30 am

Pauline - the night we first met him (adopt time) was after Here & Now and before the birthday thing.

I remember that much because a few years later when he put on a few clubnights (the night I meet Steve Norman), I spoke to him again and he said he remembered he (he clearly didn't, he was just being polite, haha)
Electric Dream
Member
 
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 2:42 pm
Location: London

Re: Visage

Postby SubHuman » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:38 am

Do any of you (JJ, Pauline, ED) remember what year this birthday party was?
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3477
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Visage

Postby sarah t » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:08 pm

In the second hour of last nights 'Forgotten 80s', they played 'Cry and Be Free' by Marilyn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uRu83GNEk8) with singer requesting it on the show as a tribute to Steve. Matthew was suitably eliquent in his words of praise about the massive musical contribution that Steve made and I was rather stunned to hear that DAB radio station 'Absolute 80s' were playing 'Visage' by Visage at precisely the exact moment that the sad news came from Egypt.
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Visage

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:59 pm

Must dig out my copy of this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blitzed-Autobiography-Steve-Strange/dp/0752847201/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424177720&sr=1-1&keywords=Blitzed) which I've got somewhere in my flat. Although it only cost me a couple of pound a few years ago it is a very good read and I would certainly recommend it.

I got the hard cover but it is also available as a paperback http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blitzed-Autobiography-Steve-Strange/dp/0752849360/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424177913&sr=1-2&keywords=Blitzed, whichever way, IMO you can't lose!
:)
User avatar
sarah t
Member
 
Posts: 2878
Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 12:47 pm
Location: Southampton

Re: Visage

Postby Indigo Blue » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:12 pm

sarah t wrote:Must dig out my copy of this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blitzed-Autobiography-Steve-Strange/dp/0752847201/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424177720&sr=1-1&keywords=Blitzed) which I've got somewhere in my flat. Although it only cost me a couple of pound a few years ago it is a very good read and I would certainly recommend it.

I got the hard cover but it is also available as a paperback http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blitzed-Autobiography-Steve-Strange/dp/0752849360/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424177913&sr=1-2&keywords=Blitzed, whichever way, IMO you can't lose!
:)



Really good book, i think it should have had lots more of Steve's amazing photos in it though, I got a signed copy when he did a book signing :)
There are various covers too i have two different ones :)

I hope a photography book of Steve Strange and Visage is put together at some point, he worked with some exceptional fashion designers, makeup artists and photographers, and created so many different images throughout his career.
User avatar
Indigo Blue
Member
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Visage

Postby Pauline » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:34 pm

I've gt the book, haven't read it yet but intend to soon.....

@Subhuman - NO idea!! Over 10 years ago, as I moved frm London almost 11 years ago, and i think it was before then...
Pauline
Member
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Visage

Postby JJ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Dave - would have been 2002 or 2003. The club was called Sway and I definitely saw Ju Ju Babies do a short gig there in June 2003. But I'm not sure if that was his birthday or the opening night of the new club Sway.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: Visage

Postby SubHuman » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:32 am

JJ wrote:Dave - would have been 2002 or 2003. The club was called Sway and I definitely saw Ju Ju Babies do a short gig there in June 2003. But I'm not sure if that was his birthday or the opening night of the new club Sway.


Yeah that fits, the Here and Now tour that Steve did a Visage slot on was in December 2002, Sandra and I saw it at the BIC, and Steve Harrington's birthday is the 28th of May. I've still got the tour book somewhere, the artists were: The Human League, Kim Wilde, Five Star, Altered Images (just Clare Grogan with the H&N house band), Dollar, The Belle Stars and Visage (Steve Strange, a female singer and a couple of dancers. I can't remember which other Visage songs were performed only Fade To Grey. Apart from the Human League everyone else used the house band, oh and Ricky Wilde played lead guitar for Kim's songs.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3477
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Visage

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:10 am

I thought you were referring to the club night. The H&N shows where he played that I went to were:

London Arena, Docklands - 14/12/2002
Wembley Arena - 15/12/2002
Brighton Centre - 20/12/2002

I also saw him do a live set at The Arches in Borough on 20/08/2004 and at Madam JoJos in Soho (as Visage) on 24/03/2005
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: Visage

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:09 am

Pauline wrote:
JJ wrote:Very sad. Still remember a birthday party of his that I somehow ended up going to with ED and Pauline. In fact the white cube light that we were given as a gift turned up in my garage only last week.


Gosh, I can't remember it being a birthday bash - how did we get into that?? And the light rings a bell, but I think mine broke ages ago. Was that the night he said he wanted to adopt me and Tracy then??


Just checked the dates. The party when JuJu Babies played was on 5th June 2003, so that would have been the birthday party, not the club opening, as his BD was 28th May.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: Visage

Postby Pauline » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:32 pm

Checked the spreadsheets, did you say?? :-P
Pauline
Member
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:32 pm
Location: Steel City

Re: Visage

Postby JJ » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:55 pm

That's the one. :)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
User avatar
JJ
Member
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 7:56 am
Location: Downstairs At Eric's, Sydney

Re: Visage

Postby SubHuman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:41 am

JJ wrote:I thought you were referring to the club night. The H&N shows where he played that I went to were:

London Arena, Docklands - 14/12/2002
Wembley Arena - 15/12/2002
Brighton Centre - 20/12/2002

I also saw him do a live set at The Arches in Borough on 20/08/2004 and at Madam JoJos in Soho (as Visage) on 24/03/2005


It was the birthday party that you all went to I was asking about but I think we've established it was in the first half of 2003. Still any anecdotes about Steve are good to hear. I'd like to hear some more about his larking around. I remember that at the H&N gig at the BIC he came on wearing some bizarre costume, hat and white gloves.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3477
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Visage

Postby Indigo Blue » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:44 am

I notice the vulchers are selling all their Visage/Steve Strange memorabillia and records. Lovely!
User avatar
Indigo Blue
Member
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Visage

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:56 pm

Very sad as Steve was buried yesterday. I hope that the rest of Visage and some of the former members do a memorial concert for Visage fans in the coming year.
Last edited by SubHuman on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3477
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Visage

Postby jaymze » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:14 am

It was sad to see the funeral details, footage etc.
It was especially sad to see the boys from Spandau and 'George carrying his coffin.
May Steve rest in peace. The records and the iconic images will live on forever. A true trailblazer...
jaymze
Member
 
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:48 am
Location: Glasgow / Killarney

Re: Visage

Postby Indigo Blue » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:35 pm

jaymze wrote:It was sad to see the funeral details, footage etc.
It was especially sad to see the boys from Spandau and 'George carrying his coffin.
May Steve rest in peace. The records and the iconic images will live on forever. A true trailblazer...



I'm glad Steve's Sister made his funeral public, it was a chance for a lot of his fans to attend.
It was sad to see Gary, Martin and Steve Norman escorting Steve =(
User avatar
Indigo Blue
Member
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Visage

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:59 am

Just been listening to the Beat Boy CD, the Cherry Pop re-release, which I got Sandra for her birthday. I was very impressed by one of the extras, Der Amboss, which is a longer version of The Anvil sung in German.
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3477
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Visage

Postby Indigo Blue » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:55 am

SubHuman wrote:Just been listening to the Beat Boy CD, the Cherry Pop re-release, which I got Sandra for her birthday. I was very impressed by one of the extras, Der Amboss, which is a longer version of The Anvil sung in German.


I've come to like 'Beat Boy' a huge amount, i remember 'liking' it when i first bought in 1984, but it was so drastically different from 'The Anvil' =|
The artwork and photography was/is amazing though, Visage, like The Human League were always so visual, and that was a huge part of it for me.

'Der Amboss' belongs on 'The Anvil' and not on 'Beat Boy' i have no idea why they added it? :/

I think it is long overdue for Visage to get the full DELUXE treatment, a full on re-issue of all their albums as 3xCD deluxe digi book..with their B sides, Extended/Dance Mixes/Dubs and omitted tracks...there is more than enough.
User avatar
Indigo Blue
Member
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Visage

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:49 am

Indigo Blue wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Just been listening to the Beat Boy CD, the Cherry Pop re-release, which I got Sandra for her birthday. I was very impressed by one of the extras, Der Amboss, which is a longer version of The Anvil sung in German.


I've come to like 'Beat Boy' a huge amount, i remember 'liking' it when i first bought in 1984, but it was so drastically different from 'The Anvil' =|
The artwork and photography was/is amazing though, Visage, like The Human League were always so visual, and that was a huge part of it for me.

'Der Amboss' belongs on 'The Anvil' and not on 'Beat Boy' i have no idea why they added it? :/

I think it is long overdue for Visage to get the full DELUXE treatment, a full on re-issue of all their albums as 3xCD deluxe digi book..with their B sides, Extended/Dance Mixes/Dubs and omitted tracks...there is more than enough.


I agree a deluxe package of re-issues would be nice. I suppose that Der Amboss was bundled onto Beat Boy because they forgot to put it on the Anvil re-issue? I'm still hoping for a memorial concert sometime later this year. :)
SubHuman
Member
 
Posts: 3477
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Visage

Postby Indigo Blue » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:10 am

SubHuman wrote:I agree a deluxe package of re-issues would be nice. I suppose that Der Amboss was bundled onto Beat Boy because they forgot to put it on the Anvil re-issue? I'm still hoping for a memorial concert sometime later this year. :)


I have had a whisper that this may happen? If it does, the bad part is that Rusty Egan will have any say so =(

Also, there is a big Tribute/party later this year for Steve Strange/Visage :) I'll post more details as i get them :)
User avatar
Indigo Blue
Member
 
Posts: 861
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:17 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron