Visage

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Visage

Postby SubHuman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:42 pm

Indigo Blue wrote:
SubHuman wrote:I agree a deluxe package of re-issues would be nice. I suppose that Der Amboss was bundled onto Beat Boy because they forgot to put it on the Anvil re-issue? I'm still hoping for a memorial concert sometime later this year. :)

I have had a whisper that this may happen? If it does, the bad part is that Rusty Egan will have any say so =(

Also, there is a big Tribute/party later this year for Steve Strange/Visage :) I'll post more details as i get them :)

Is there any news about the Tibute/party?
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:56 am

It's in Wales on Halloween - that's all I can remember. It didn't look great to be honest.....
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:26 am

Electric Dream wrote:It's in Wales on Halloween - that's all I can remember. It didn't look great to be honest.....

How disappointing, I'd assumed it would be something in London, Halloween in Wales it's likely to be raining.
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:34 am

Oh, it seems there is a proper event. I think the Halloween one must be some unofficial thing.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/m ... t-10138498
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:36 am

Electric Dream wrote:Oh, it seems there is a proper event. I think the Halloween one must be some unofficial thing.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/m ... t-10138498

That sounds more like it.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Astonished to discover a fifth studio album 'Demons To Diamonds' on which Steve was working before his untimely death is to be released on 6th November 2015...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Demons-To-Diamonds-Visage/dp/B0169B4SUG/ref=pd_sim_15_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M7RQKAJ0J4TG5KZEFA5&dpID=51reAz1g8lL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

Thrilled to hear that there is just a little bit of Visage magic still to come!!! =D

(oh and yeah got my pre order in today!) ;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:30 am

sarah t wrote:Astonished to discover a fifth studio album 'Demons To Diamonds' on which Steve was working before his untimely death is to be released on 6th November 2015...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Demons-To-Diamonds-Visage/dp/B0169B4SUG/ref=pd_sim_15_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M7RQKAJ0J4TG5KZEFA5&dpID=51reAz1g8lL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

Thrilled to hear that there is just a little bit of Visage magic still to come!!! =D

(oh and yeah got my pre order in today!) ;)

Just got the email to say that it is in the post so might receive it tomorrow! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:31 pm

I was thrilled to receive fifth Visage album ‘Demons To Diamonds’ early yesterday afternoon (6th November) and having listened to it a couple of times I’d like to share my initial impressions.

The second track ‘Become’ has a great feel to it with Steve and Lauren complimenting each other perfectly on the vocals. Additionally I felt there was a distinct French atmosphere to this track which could I think have fitted quite well into second album ‘The Anvil’. Next up we have ‘Loving The Alien’ which has a somewhat lighter touch/feel compared to the original from David Bowie. I like the wide expansive soundscape provided by the synths. ‘Days Become Dark’ feels rather unremarkable aside from an unexpected momentary change of pace almost three minutes in. There is a somewhat spooky and unsettling feel to ‘Seven Deadly Sins Part Three’ whilst ‘Aurora’ is fairly lightweight and dreamy with saxophone pleasingly drifting in and out. ‘Your Skin Is My Sin’ offers a pacy poppy sound. For me the definite highlight of the album is ‘Club Scene’ a foot tapping, self-assured pleasing piece of pop. It conveys a lovely emotionally uplifting feel courtesy of the synths and general musical arrangement. With Steve’s initial spoken words of ‘watching the moon over Moscow’ and occasional male vocals from two minutes in echoing the debut album track ‘Star City’ pays tribute to the Soviet space program. This is further supported by Suetlana Alexander providing spoken Russian vocals intoning the names of a variety of astronaut names. I got the impression that there is a slight feel of early Gary Numan to the musical arrangement.

The CD presents ten tracks totalling forty-four minutes but unfortunately due to the sad loss of Steve Strange we lose out on the potential to have had more content. The sixteen page booklet offers song lyrics to twelve songs only nine of which feature on the album. Written but not recorded we only have the words to ‘Fire Dogs’, ‘Heartbleed’ and ‘Kings of the World’ and can only wonder what musical arrangement would complement the vocals. I, and I guess other fans, like to see a list of what instruments were used for each song under the lyrics and aside from the cover illustration there is a single photo image on one centre page of Steve wearing pointed brown felt hat with cross feathers and white scarf with blue skull pattern detailing in a live performance pose. In the inside back cover amongst the acknowledgements I very much appreciated the finely worded tribute from Lauren (Thomas).

I feel that Visage had a unique identity through musical arrangements and the distinctive vocals of Steve Strange and whilst ‘Demons To Diamonds’ for me doesn’t quite reach the musical heights of previous CD ‘Hearts and Knives’ there are some excellent moments of listening pleasure amongst these final ten tracks.

Hope this is useful to you guys! ;)
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks Sarah for your comments on Demons to Diamonds, I'm about to order this album which I had intended to but lost track of amongst all the things I have going on at the moment. It certainly sounds like something any fan would want.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:52 pm

I love the cover but does the world really need another 'best of' from Visage??? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Life-Visage/dp/B01M7T0J4M/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_3_dp
:/
sarah t

Postby loveaction » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:20 pm

sarah t wrote:I love the cover but does the world really need another 'best of' from Visage??? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Life-Visage/dp/B01M7T0J4M/ref=wl_mb_wl_huc_mrai_3_dp
:/

More to the point, what is going to be on it? Surely we have had everything on the existing compilations, guess the only thing is from the title, it will include the more recent stuff too
loveaction

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:20 am

There's a special 7 disc set related to the new best of from the Visage webstore. But I wouldn't get too excited as it mostly consists of instrumental versions of their recent albums.
DJ Ian Aitch

Previous

Return to Music