Alternative 80's Playlist

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Alternative 80's Playlist

Postby SubHuman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

Listening to Absolute 80's they other day, I was struck by the fact that there are a lot of songs that I really like from that era but don't want to buy a whole album to get them. So I've started to compile a list of these songs with a view to downloading the tracks to make up my Alternative 80's playlist. So far I have:

1. Broken Land by The Adventurers
2. Calling All The Heroes by It Bites
3. Lets Go All The Way by Sly Fox
4. Love Is A Wonderful Colour by The Icicle Works
5. Somewhere In My Heart by Aztec Camera
6. Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner
7. The First Picture Of You by The Lotus Eaters
8. Steppin Out By Joe Jackson
9. Sign O' The Times by Prince
10. Ya Mo Be There by James Ingram and Michael McDonald
11. The Look by Roxette
12. I Hear You Now by Jon and Vangelis
13. King of Rock and Roll by Prefab Sprout
14. Ace Of Spades by Motorhead

Well that's the list so far, I'm open to suggestions for more songs. :cool:
SubHuman

Re: Alternative 80's Playlist

Postby JJ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:19 am

Dave this thread here is for this sort of stuff, as they're just general recommendations.

I'll give it a while so you can see this reply before merging this into the other one.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 pm

JJ wrote:Dave this thread here is for this sort of stuff, as they're just general recommendations.

I'll give it a while so you can see this reply before merging this into the other one.

JJ, I thought that this topic would just get lost in the general recommendations thread, however if it doesn't result in much comment it might just as well go in there.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:28 am

Come on chaps help me out with this? I need about twenty tracks for a cd, how about Living In A Box?
SubHuman

Postby cs15 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:40 pm

Problem is Subhuman that a lot of those tracks you listed aren't very 'alternative' and are more run-of-the-mill 80's tracks that can be found on most 80's compilations. Most of them were big top 10 singles. My alternative 80's would be songs like 'Underpass' & 'Warm Leatherette' to name but 2 off the top of my head. Not big singles but still great songs.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:26 pm

cs15 wrote:Problem is Subhuman that a lot of those tracks you listed aren't very 'alternative' and are more run-of-the-mill 80's tracks that can be found on most 80's compilations. Most of them were big top 10 singles. My alternative 80's would be songs like 'Underpass' & 'Warm Leatherette' to name but 2 off the top of my head. Not big singles but still great songs.

They are alternative for me and I don't want to buy the studio albums or dozens of compilation albums. I assume that Underpass and Warm Leatherette are available as downloads. Actually think I have Underpass if it's on Metamatic? Anyway thanks for the suggestions.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 am

Well lets have a look at this...

There are also some great 'one hit wonders' out there that you might like to consider as well as It Bites great song 'Calling All The Heroes' (don't think they ever released an album(?)). I've always enjoyed listening to Men Without Hats - 'The Safety Dance' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

I have listened to the 'so called' greatest hits package on CD, via Oxfam bookshop and IMO I thought it was awful so I can understand why you'd only want 'Somewhere In My Heart'... probably the only decent thing they ever did. Again not overly keen on Roxette also another group I've checked out via a greatest hits package that didn't stay too long in my hands before rushing to hand it back to the charity.

I did have a three CD 'greatest hits/B sides' title from Prince, sounded really great but for some reason all discs have developed a problem where I cannot play them =( 'When Doves Cry', 'Purple Rain' and 'Little Red Corvette' are just a few that spring to mind but IMO he has done so many great songs.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu May 01, 2014 11:30 am

Well lets have a look at this...

There are also some great 'one hit wonders' out there that you might like to consider as well as It Bites great song 'Calling All The Heroes' (don't think they ever released an album(?)). I've always enjoyed listening to Men Without Hats - 'The Safety Dance' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs Heard it last night on Absolute 80s, first time in ages and raised a smile for me was the Rock Steady Crew http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXjVHZS8Aiw

I have listened to the 'so called' greatest hits package on CD, via Oxfam bookshop and IMO I thought it was awful so I can understand why you'd only want 'Somewhere In My Heart'... probably the only decent thing they ever did. Again not overly keen on Roxette also another group I've checked out via a greatest hits package that didn't stay too long in my hands before rushing to hand it back to the charity.

I did have a three CD 'greatest hits/B sides' title from Prince, sounded really great but for some reason all discs have developed a problem where I cannot play them =( 'When Doves Cry', 'Purple Rain' and 'Little Red Corvette' are just a few that spring to mind but IMO he has done so many great songs.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu May 01, 2014 4:44 pm

Don't worry Sarah I've had this two posts for the price of one problem, not sure what causes it. Like some of your suggestions although I'm not a huge fan of Prince and I've already got one of his songs on my list. Quite like Calling All The Heroes.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri May 02, 2014 10:15 am

Fairground Attraction - Perfect seems like quite a good fun song, like the video but don't want to have an album from this band
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri May 02, 2014 10:28 am

sarah t wrote:Fairground Attraction - Perfect seems like quite a good fun song, like the video but don't want to have an album from this band

Quite right, like this song and Sandra bought a Best of Album, this soon found it's way to a charity shop.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri May 02, 2014 10:53 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Fairground Attraction - Perfect seems like quite a good fun song, like the video but don't want to have an album from this band

Quite right, like this song and Sandra bought a Best of Album, this soon found it's way to a charity shop.

Definitely a one-hit wonder!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri May 02, 2014 7:47 pm

Well boys and girls definitely think I should have something by Propaganda, any thoughts on this?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat May 03, 2014 12:18 pm

SubHuman wrote:Well boys and girls definitely think I should have something by Propaganda, any thoughts on this?

Sorry I don't know who they are???
=|
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun May 04, 2014 12:47 am

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Well boys and girls definitely think I should have something by Propaganda, any thoughts on this?

Sorry I don't know who they are???
=|

Here they are:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLhYxLE8uCA

I have some memories of this song.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun May 04, 2014 4:23 am

Re Propaganda: Duel is one of the best songs of that decade...brilliant!
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Wed May 07, 2014 10:15 am

I've always thought 'Double Dutch' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STCTCgQ3XJU was great fun but certainly couldn't keep skipping as long as they could!

Another great 80s track, pleasing blend of vocals and music is 'Moonlight Shadow' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e80qhyovOnA that I always enjoy hearing whenever it crops up on the radio
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 am

Hi Sarah, should I include something by Freez?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed May 07, 2014 11:28 am

SubHuman wrote:Hi Sarah, should I include something by Freez?

absolutely! see my posting in general recommendations thread!!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 pm

I was just thinking you should have some Pulp... my choice would be 'Common People', I love the nonchalant humourous delivery Jarvis Cocker has on this track.

Also how about the Blow Monkeys with 'Digging Your Scene', definitely an 80s classic! :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat May 10, 2014 11:50 pm

sarah t wrote:I was just thinking you should have some Pulp... my choice would be 'Common People', I love the nonchalant humourous delivery Jarvis Cocker has on this track.

Also how about the Blow Monkeys with 'Digging Your Scene', definitely an 80s classic! :)

Thanks Sarah, however Common People is a 90's hit and I have the album Different Class. Sorry I'm not familiar with the Blow Monkeys I'll check them out on YouTube.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon May 12, 2014 12:55 pm

For 80s tracks how about Nina with '99 Red Balloons' and The Passions 'I'm In Love With A German Film Star'. Also for a fun disco feel there is always Kelly Marie with 'I Feel Like I'm In Love' despite the rather dodgy video dancing with those sailors around London.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon May 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Almost got enough tracks now to consider, I'll have to have a good listen to them on YouTube to decide on which tracks to download to make up my Alternative 80's Playlist.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 am

SubHuman wrote:Almost got enough tracks now to consider, I'll have to have a good listen to them on YouTube to decide on which tracks to download to make up my Alternative 80's Playlist.

Good grief how many were you aiming for???
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed May 14, 2014 1:30 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Almost got enough tracks now to consider, I'll have to have a good listen to them on YouTube to decide on which tracks to download to make up my Alternative 80's Playlist.

Good grief how many were you aiming for???

About twenty, I'll list them all when I've decided
SubHuman

Next

Return to Music