Simply Bowie... talking about David

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Simply Bowie... talking about David

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:55 pm

I guess this thread idea comes from watching the video for the timeless classic, so slick and cool sounding ‘Absolute Beginners’ on YouTube recently (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8NZa9wYZ_U) what a wide ranging and influential career David Bowie has had and of course continue to have…

With such a vast back catalogue of music there are stand out songs, albums and memorable promo videos over the past five decades and I’m sure we’ve got quite a lot of favourites. ‘Ashes to Ashes’, ‘Live On Mars’, ‘Let’s Dance’, ‘Modern Love’, ‘China Girl’ are just a few that come to mind for me as I type this. Bringing us up to date we had the recent critically acclaimed ‘The Next Day’ album and accompanying singles which I think went down very well but I’ve yet to get my hands on a copy of this. I have heard that there is the possibility of further new material in future.

I’ve never seen the great man live but perhaps some of you guys have. If so how many songs does he do, a good gig support and did you feel it was money worth spent?

At the movies David instantly made such a memorable appearance in ‘The Man Who Fell To Earth’, perfect casting as the alien stuck on our planet. Not particularly a favourite of mine, haven’t seen it for quite a while, but I think there is much worthy of praise in it. Personally, although not generally well remembered, I have a bit of a soft spot for ‘Labyrinth’, the Jim Henderson 1986 feature primarily targeting a young audience with David playing the spooky Goblin king in tights and a ratty long grey wig. I’ve got this on ‘collectors edition’ DVD (including 56 min ‘making of’ item) plus also the soundtrack CD album which I think has many fine songs on it. Again not well remembered by most people I find much to enjoy from the colourful period set ‘Absolute Beginners’ which I don’t think is available on DVD. Although offering the title song ‘Forbidden Colours’ which I still think sounds pretty good I am less than enthusiastic about ‘Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence’, a war time drama film featuring David.

Basically with such a multifaceted, multidisplined iconic person like David Bowie I think there is considerable scope for a variety of opinion and possible debate on music (both recorded and live), films, changing fashions (did he influence your own personal style at any point in your life?).

Over to you guys! ;)
sarah t

Re: Simply Bowie... talking about David

Postby JJ » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:57 am

I'mlistening to him as I write this... I could never say I was a big Bowie fan, as I think he's been inconsistent as far as music is concerned, but I still like a lot of his stuff. When I was going through the whole "if it isn't synths then I couldn't possibly like it" thing in the early 80s, my sister used to drive me bonkers playing the Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars album. But now when I listen to it, I can definitely understand how he influenced so much. He is a true legend, there's no question about that - I think Sarah is spot-on using the word "iconic."

As my musically formative years were early 80s, the first album of his that I heard properly (apart from via my sister) was Let's Dance, and I really liked it. But since then I haven't really liked much.

I did see him live at Wembley on the Glass Spider Tour in 1987. An unbelievably high set, and I enjoyed the gig mainly because he played a lot of his 80s tracks rather than the early stuff. For that reason I seemed to be in a bit of a minority, as around me people were complaining because of that. The support was Big Country - ZZZzzz.

Film-wise, I loved The Man Who Fell To Earth, and also when he played Catherine Deneuve's vampire partner in The Hunger.

I think he's always really interesting to listen to when interviewed. I also think (but could stand corrected) he was the first to coin the expression "futurist" which was what I was into in my teens. I also recollect it was him that said sometime in the late 70s he'd seen a new band called The Human League and that they were "the future of music" or something like that.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:31 am

I was thinking about this as I was coming to the library today and I vaguely recall sometime in the 70s getting out a live album (or possibly double album (can't think what it was called)) from the local Croydon (Shirley, London subburbs) library (where I was living at the time) which I remember featured TVC15 but the interesting thing is that it was on 'yellow vinyl'!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue May 05, 2015 12:11 pm

Been listening to the 'Earthling' album just yesterday and I remember there was a live gig to promote the album where David performed songs from the album with a range of other artists.

I think my favourite song on the album is 'The Last Thing You Should Do' and I'm delighted to find this on YouTube where he shares the stage for this and another song with Robert Smith from The Cure... enjoy!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krhzq6C1EBw
=D =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Great find Sarah, I think that Robert Smith and the Cure were much underrated in the eighties except among their cult followers.
SubHuman

Postby Harry » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:40 pm

I seem to be listening to Bowie more and more these days.
Sax player Terry Edwards is on tour at the moment with original 'Spiders from Mars' drummer Woody Woodmansey and Bowie producer Tony Visconti touring The Man Who Sold The World (and more) with Glenn Gregory (vox) and all-star band. I sounds like it could be good.
Harry

Postby sarah t » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:18 pm

Just reading in the papers (The Guardian) that there will be a new album 'Darkstar' out on his 69th birthday, 8th January 2016 with a single of the same name preceeding it on 20th November 2015. Likely to be added to the Radio 2 playlist (probably Radio 1) in the run up its release. Could be interesting to hear where he is musically at the moment.
sarah t

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:46 pm

I'm really excited about Blackstar - I'll be heading to HMV first thing Friday morning.
DJ Ian Aitch

Return to Music