The all purpose ULTRAVOX thread

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

The all purpose ULTRAVOX thread

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:36 am

'synth pop' and '80s synth pop', where did these phrases come from? Anyway although I like/appreciate a wide range of music I always come back to '80s synth pop' as my preferred soundscape to my life.

So looking around for more from IMO that 'classic musical decade' I came across the Remastered Definite Edition 2 CD releases of Ultravox albums 'Vienna' and 'Lament'.

First thing I've ordered this year from Amazon, received yesterday they are rather stylish well designed releases.

'Vienna' has such a clear cut stylish cover with unique lettering and the arty black and white band shot. The four page booklet doesn't offer much content apart from track listings and details, particularly useful on the second disc where the rare mixes are sourced from. As to the discs, one is 44 mins whilst two is a slightly better 53 mins.

From 1981 we move to 1984 with 'Lament' another stylish, classy cover not as stark as 'Vienna' The booklet is the same and as to the contents of the discs, well one only offers a paltry 37 1/2 mins but two is more satisfying swelled out to an impressive 72 1/2 mins.

Ultravox I have always found rather harsh and aggressive but I'm starting 2016 with a process of re-evaluation of their back catalogue. I don't know if there are any other 'Remastered Definitive Edition' releases but these two will certainly do for the time being.

I don't know if Midge Ure's solo work is worth checking out but any albums might be a good follow up to exploring Ultravox.
:)
sarah t

Re: The all purpose ULTRAVOX thread

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm not much of a fan of Midge's solo stuff, though you should check out his version of No Regrets and his one off collaboration single with Mick Karn, After A Fashion is also superb.

Any fan of synth pop should have John Foxx's Metamatic album and his recent(ish) work with Louis Gordon and The Maths are all worth checking out. If you like Vienna the last Ultravox album with Foxx, Systems Of Romance isn't that different, different vocalist aside of course.

My favourite Ultravox album is Rage In Eden, it's a bit darker than Vienna but it shows amazing production and musicianship.

I'd seriously avoid U-Vox and the two 90s albums which only feature Billy Currie from the 'original' band but the reformation Beautiful is as good as the likes of Quartet and Lament.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:30 am

I'm not a huge fan of Ultravox, although not sure why. Sandra was always more interested in them (I think she liked MIdge Ure back in the 80's), so we have a 19 Classic Tracks compilation album, produced for Boots. Plus we have a Monument
re-mastered album with a DVD and Brilliant which I quite like, although it's stylistically very different from their eighties albums. But like you Sarah I think I need to re-evaluate this band as I like all of the singles on the compilation album.
SubHuman

Postby Coaster » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:51 am

Monument Live on vinyl somewhere - also remember seeing live recording of it on TV way back then.

Voice, RTWW & Hymn stand out hits - Vienna technically good but too slow for my tastes then. It was kept off number one spot by no less than Joe Dolce........hope nobody offended saying it was voted " best number two" in a BBC poll ;)
Coaster

Postby sarah t » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:41 am

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:Any fan of synth pop should have John Foxx's Metamatic album and his recent(ish) work with Louis Gordon and The Maths are all worth checking out. If you like Vienna the last Ultravox album with Foxx, Systems Of Romance isn't that different, different vocalist aside of course.

Further to what you said I have just ordered this today... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CAHY1Z6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 as a good place to start with John Foxx's music. :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:33 am

Quite like some of John Foxx's music, although I prefer Ultra Vox with Midge Ure as the singer.
SubHuman

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 am

David Buckley (who was/is writing the Human League biography) posted on Facebook yesterday that he's written the sleeve notes for a forthcoming Foxx-era Ultravox box set. As with the HL Anthology I'm hoping this will include previously unheard stuff rather than just putting the three albums in a cardboard sleeve.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby SubHuman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:57 am

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:David Buckley (who was/is writing the Human League biography)

Hahaha. :lol:
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:05 pm

sarah t wrote:
DJ Ian Aitch wrote:Any fan of synth pop should have John Foxx's Metamatic album and his recent(ish) work with Louis Gordon and The Maths are all worth checking out. If you like Vienna the last Ultravox album with Foxx, Systems Of Romance isn't that different, different vocalist aside of course.

Further to what you said I have just ordered this today... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CAHY1Z6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 as a good place to start with John Foxx's music. :)

Absolutely love this collection with occasional feel of early Gary Numan and (naturally) Ultravox permeating some of the tracks, particularly 1,2 & 3 on the first disc. CD one is just over 66 mins, CD two is roughly 76 mins whilst the DVD totals about 20 mins but strangely you can't play all the items on the menu together only individually. It's great to see the TOTP performance of 'Europe In The Rain' but my favourite promo is for 'Endlessly' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI1ONh3qQQ4
=D

On the strength of this I am definitely interested in checking out some more of his back catalogue... are there any key releases worth considering?????????? Thanks in anticipation. ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:38 pm

Only got Metamatic so I can't help, however there is a compilation, Ultravox! The Island Years, which has John Foxx on vocals and synthesizer.
SubHuman

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:08 am

There's yet another John Foxx compilation coming out at the end of April. It does have a few new tracks on it including a collaboration with Gary Numan.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby negative1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:59 am

SubHuman wrote:
DJ Ian Aitch wrote:David Buckley (who was/is writing the Human League biography)

david just posted he is still working on it (here on this board), and will post some updates hopefully.

the fact that he got to write the book for the new boxset is promising.

later
negative1

Postby SubHuman » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:37 am

negative1 wrote:
SubHuman wrote:

david just posted he is still working on it (here on this board), and will post some updates hopefully.

the fact that he got to write the book for the new boxset is promising.

later

Still working on it!!! I this re-writes to placate peoples egos I wonder?
SubHuman

Return to Music