Eighties Synth Pop Poll

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Eighties Synth Pop Poll

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:40 am

Hi Chaps, just thinking about running a poll for members to post what they think is the best single by the top ten synth pop bands. I'll look at each of the bands and take their places in the pecking order given by the Guinness book of British HIt Singles 1990 edition. I'll also tot up the overall number of votes for each single and then we can see what the forum thinks is the very best single. Would members be interested in doing this?
SubHuman

Re: Eighties Synth Pop Poll

Postby JJ » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:12 pm

Who decides who are the top 10 synth bands? Surely you need a consensus on that before polling re their singles.

And are EPs singles?...
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:11 pm

Some people say Duran are synth pop but not I. JJ was THE poll master around here.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:59 am

JJ wrote:Who decides who are the top 10 synth bands? Surely you need a consensus on that before polling re their singles.

And are EPs singles?...

Well after I've compiled a list of the top ten S-P bands we can discuss this, and I'm just floating the idea at the moment. There would be no point in doing a poll if too few want to take part. Blow I've just noticed that Guinness didn't publish an edition in 1990 only in 1989 and 1991. Lets not get into the argument about singles and EPs again, if it gets counted in the singles charts we'll allow it.

c15
Yes we will have to define what constitutes a synth pop band: no guitars? no drum kit? ditto brass, violins, there won't be many of the New Romantic bands left if we do that.

Oh and JJ seems to have stopped running polls, I think he's too busy being a dad.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:23 am

It's easy to see which bands are obviously in: Depeche Mode, OMD, Human League, and Ultavox; and bands which are obviously out: U2, Big Country, and Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The problem arise with bands like: Eurythmics, Erasure and Tears For Fears, are they classic synth pop bands or something else? Then again there are synth pop bands like: Visage, Talk Talk and Blancmange who are a long way down the Guinness ranking order because of their low overall number of weeks on the top 100 charts.

So far I have:-

1. Depeche Mode
2. Duran Duran
3. Eurythmics ?
4. Erasure ?
5. OMD
6. Spandau
7. Human League
8. Tears 4 Fears ?
9. Ultravox
10. Thompson Twins
11. Soft Cell
12. ABC
13. Talk Talk
14. Blancmange

The bands with question marks against them are the ones I may drop out if enough forum members think they are not classic synth pop bands. I which case I will bump those numbered lower up the order.

If anyone can think of a band I have left out please let me know, I'm sure I've left someone out, there is an obvious one left out just to keep you on your toes!
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:23 am

Can't believe I've just read someone questioning whether Erasure are a synth pop band! They are the very definition of a synth pop band imho!

Talk Talk certainly aren't, and Depeche Mode haven't been a "pop" band since they released Construction Time Again in 1983.
JJ

Postby JJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:28 am

And no Heaven 17?

A poll won't work if the variables that form the basis of it are open to debate - like I said before you need a consensus of opinion.
JJ

Postby JJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:34 am

Eurythmics were only a synth pop band for the Sweet Dreams and Touch albums. After that the guitars/drums crept back in.

Neither Duran nor Spandau are synth pop bands either - sure they used them, but so did most bands. I'd say Howard Jones was more synth pop than both of them.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:54 am

Thanks for your input JJ, however from the lack of response from other members of the forum I'm not sure that this will fly.
Perhaps another definition is require: electro pop or something. I didn't what to say New Romantic because that was as much about fashion as about the music.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:15 am

The trouble is when you try and put things into a narrow parameter ('synth pop') people will interpret that in different ways. As I said before, the variables in a poll have to be unambiguous for the poll to work. Eg. 'which is THL's best album?' Everyone knows what the THL albums are, the only decision they have to make is which they like better than the others.
JJ

Postby Electric Dream » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:51 am

Yep, you'd be better off asking everything what their top 5 synth pop bands are then combining the results. Doing that though, you'd need to decide whether it was just 80s or any era synthpop.

I would also count any bands that HAVE been synthpop/started out synthpop etc - ie: Depeche and Eurythmics
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:07 am

Another way it would work:
Poll 1 - what are your top 3 bands of the 80s? (i.e. not depending on someone's opinion as to whether they're a 'synth' band or not).
THEN... when you have the top 10 bands then you can do Poll 2 on those bands' singles.
JJ

Postby sarah t » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 pm

I think Simple Minds should be part of this!!!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:55 pm

And how about Kraftwerk and Numan? I don't mind people proposing other bands but I'm going to use the Guinness book of British HIt Singles ranking to decide whether or not they're in the top ten, this is both objective and transparent. That's assuming the poll gets off the ground. Anyone going to propose more bands?
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:40 pm

We could rely on the Wikipedia genre citation for the bands, although several genres are credited for most bands? I'm not sure why and although this is a bit confusing it is transparent.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:07 pm

I would like to throw a 'spanner in the works' :p when you consider some bands have more than one vocalist like for example.

For Depeche Mode I would choose 'Everything Counts' for Dave Gahan and 'A Question of Lust' for Martin Gore. Another group would be OMD with my favourite song being 'Secret' sung by Paul Humphreys although if you talking the more familiar tones of Andy McCluskey I would pick 'Tesla Girls'. With this criteria can I have two 'best songs' from these groups???? :p :p
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:39 am

sarah t wrote:I would like to throw a 'spanner in the works' :p when you consider some bands have more than one vocalist like for example.

For Depeche Mode I would choose 'Everything Counts' for Dave Gahan and 'A Question of Lust' for Martin Gore. Another group would be OMD with my favourite song being 'Secret' sung by Paul Humphreys although if you talking the more familiar tones of Andy McCluskey I would pick 'Tesla Girls'. With this criteria can I have two 'best songs' from these groups???? :p :p

Well Sarah the rules would only allow one single per band so you would have to decide which one of the two "best" you prefer.

JJ there wouldn't be any confusion about which bands where in the top ten because I would have already published them here.
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:18 pm

This is starting to sound like more hassle than it's worth!
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Electric Dream wrote:This is starting to sound like more hassle than it's worth!

Precisely, I've just looked back at the poll I tried to run for the Human League extended singles and EPs, it went rather like this with a lot of quibbling and then only two people bothered to vote, so I'm knocking it on the head.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:27 pm

Yep, I'd filed it under "too hard."
JJ

Postby cs15 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:29 pm

Well, just to be awkward here's mine:

Human League - Sound Of The Crowd
Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
Soft Cell - Say Hello Wave Goodbye
Pet Shop Boys - Surburbia
Yazoo - Don't Go
Erasure - Drama
Numan - Are Friends Electric
OMD - Talking Loud & Clear
Ultravox - Vienna
Howard Jones - Hide & Seek

All of these i'd consider to be 'mainly' synth pop. H17? Nah.......too funk not synth for me.
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:09 am

JJ wrote:Yep, I'd filed it under "too hard."

What too hard to make a choice?
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:01 am

No, that's the easy part.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 am

JJ wrote:No, that's the easy part.

What's the problem then?
SubHuman

Postby Pauline » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:47 pm

Subhuman - just do it! Don't ask. If you wanna do a poll, do it. If folk don't want to play, it's fine!
Pauline

Next

Return to Music