I Monster "Bright Sparks"

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

I Monster "Bright Sparks"

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:45 am

Anyone else heard this yet? It's a history of the synthesiser and there's also a documentary film to go with it. The albums features lots of guests vocalists including John Foxx. Highly recommended!
DJ Ian Aitch

Re: I Monster "Bright Sparks"

Postby SubHuman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Amazon are saying that this is currently unavailable. =(
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:27 pm

It's available from I Monster on bandcamp as a cd or MP3 download.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:11 pm

Got my copy of the album yesterday, interesting if a bit weird at times, it seems to get better as it progresses. I'd heard of the following synthesizers: moog, arp and mellotron but I'd never heard of the chamberlain or EMS before!
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:40 pm

I've listened to it on Spotify a few times. It's fairly bonkers with loads of esoteric sounds including synthy plinky plonky stuff (??????) but nevertheless very interesting and artistic. I can see how Mr Oakey was interested in then for Credo !!
StevieD

Postby SubHuman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:14 am

Ian did you get the documentary film? I've bought this and only found out after ordering it that it came via download and not by DVD. There's no information on the website about how to start the download. They've sent me an email confirming the order, which may explain, but I can't open it because my email account keeps timing out.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:22 am

Panic over, when you log into your bright sparks account if you hover over a download you can click on it and download begins. Mind if you don't have superfast broadband it takes hours, as there are about 3.3 Gbits to download. I left it running all night, to open you can ask Cortina for bright sparks, if you have Windows 10, and some sort of video player pops up showing what you have available. Looks interesting if you're a bit of a synth geek.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:43 pm

Right, I watched the documentary, which is in two parts, it's very interesting with lots of interviews of people associated with the particular synthesizers being discussed. These include various Moogs, arps, Buchla boxes, chamberlains, mellotrons, synthis and EDP machines. It seems most of the inventors didn't make a lot of money out of these synthesizers. Looks like Roland and Yamaha cleaned up.
SubHuman

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:00 am

I've not watched the documentary yet - is it all about the makers/inventors or are there any musicians interviewed too?
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby SubHuman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:29 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:I've not watched the documentary yet - is it all about the makers/inventors or are there any musicians interviewed too?

Both inventors and musicians are interviewed. There's no attempt to sell products.
SubHuman

Return to Music