ABC

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

ABC

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:52 am

Martin Fry is back (back! back!!!) with the dubiously titled Lexicon Of Love 2 on May 27. It sees Anne Dudley return to string arrangements but no input from previous band members or Trevor Horn. My reservations of the title aside (it is the music that counts) it seems to be getting the band a lot of publicity. Apparently it was named by their label and not by Martin.
DJ Ian Aitch

Re: ABC

Postby StevieD » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:27 am

Isn't ABC just the band name that Martin Fry solely owns?
Sounds a bit like the UB40 situation where one side are using the name cos they are the face of the band.
StevieD

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:35 pm

DJ Ian Aitch wrote:Martin Fry is back (back! back!!!) with the dubiously titled Lexicon Of Love 2 on May 27. It sees Anne Dudley return to string arrangements but no input from previous band members or Trevor Horn. My reservations of the title aside (it is the music that counts) it seems to be getting the band a lot of publicity. Apparently it was named by their label and not by Martin.

Thanks for flagging this up, much appreciated! ;) I see it is up for pre-order on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexicon-Love-II-ABC/dp/B01E4JVJ16/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1460636996&sr=1-4&keywords=abc where we get to see the song titles...

1. The Flames of Desire
2. Viva Love
3. Ten Below Zero
4. Confessions of a Fool
5. Singer Not the Song
6. The Ship of the Seasick Sailor
7. Kiss Me Goodbye
8. I Believe in Love
9. The Love Inside the Love
10. Brighter Than the Sun
11. Viva Love Reprise

Perhaps Martin will hook up with David Palmer once more, thanks the 'Bands Reunited' of a few years ago. Rather doubt that Mark White will be involved but who knows about Stephen Singleton???

Shame there isn't any sign of a deluxe edition at the moment but I definitely am keen to check out this release when it comes out! =D
sarah t

Postby Panzermensch » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:30 am

Seems like a lame idea without any of the other contributors that made the first album so special. For me ABC weren't the same when Mark White left, so it's quite interesting he's finally resurfaced in the music business as he's reformed Vice Versa with Singleton. Only one song released so far;

https://soundcloud.com/vice-versa-electrogenesis
Panzermensch

Postby Stig Olsen » Sun May 01, 2016 10:43 pm

To be fair, the new single sounds very "Lexicon of Love"-esh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlaq4zGYwg
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby sarah t » Tue May 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:To be fair, the new single sounds very "Lexicon of Love"-esh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLlaq4zGYwg

Thanks for the link Stig ;) Yeah I agree with you about the feel of this song but IMO that is no bad thing, now really looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed May 04, 2016 9:51 am

Yes the new track by ABC sounds really good, excellent find Stig.
SubHuman

Postby octopus » Wed May 18, 2016 11:35 pm

It's not a bad song but it's 25 years old and to be honest it's like saying lets release Dare 2..Why?
Other to to sell albums to someone Who bought the first one.
I'd rather have Zillionaire 2 or alphabet city 2,
octopus

Postby sarah t » Sat May 28, 2016 12:42 pm

Almost thought I wasn’t going to get this on the day of release but Amazon came through in the end… err at 6.10pm yesterday but anyway I digress.

So we’ve got eleven tracks with a total running time of just over forty-five minutes, a twelve page booklet with ten pages of lyrics but looking at the credits, no previous ABC members were involved in the making of this release which is a bit of a shame but not unexpected. ABC are after all Martin Fry and with distinctive pleasing vocals like his there is no mistaking who you are listening to. Once you get past the truly stunning ‘Viva Love’ I personally found, on first listen, a fairly bland collection but I thought there are a couple of instant classic gems to be found. Highlight of Lexicon of Love II for me is definitely ‘Singer not the song’ which has great pace, lyrical construction, musical arrangement and occasional inclusion of live crowd reaction. Also worthy of note is the extremely appealing ‘Brighter than the Sun’ with Martin’s lyrics finding him in reflective mood in a song that immediately impresses on a first listen.

I'm sure this will grow on me over time and I definitely feel I have made the right decision getting a copy of this! =D
sarah t

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:03 pm

octopus wrote:It's not a bad song but it's 25 years old and to be honest it's like saying lets release Dare 2..Why?
Other to to sell albums to someone Who bought the first one.
I'd rather have Zillionaire 2 or alphabet city 2,

Well it worked - ABC made the top 5 in the album charts for the first time since...1982.
DJ Ian Aitch

Postby The World Tonight » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:25 pm

Bought the Lexicon of Love 2 a couple of weeks ago & have to say I'm really impressed.In my opinion it their best album since Alphabet City. Not a bad song on the whole thing & some really catchy tunes.Looking forward to seeing theme live again in Dublin in November.
The World Tonight

Postby negative1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:03 am

it's a decent album, but not great.
too many slow and mid-paced songs.

that said, i got the deluxe boxset, and the live DVD with the orchestra is stunning for the lexicon of love live.

later
negative1

Postby Danny C » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:07 pm

negative1 wrote:that said, i got the deluxe boxset, and the live DVD with the orchestra is stunning for the lexicon of love live.

And I bet it didn't cost 80 quid...
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby octopus » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:54 pm

No it was £100
octopus

Postby negative1 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:53 pm

Danny C wrote:
negative1 wrote:that said, i got the deluxe boxset, and the live DVD with the orchestra is stunning for the lexicon of love live.

And I bet it didn't cost 80 quid...

actually as octopus said, it was more (for less material),
and shipping was crazy expensive to the US.

but as a hardcore fan, i got it anwyays.

as i will when the human league boxset comes out (although i will wait a bit for the price to settle hopefully).

the abc boxset NEVER came down in price, so there are plenty of copies around, maybe they will put them on sale,
and more people will be able to get them.

later
negative1

Postby robgrillo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 am

I actually prefer Lexicon of Love 2 to the original Lexicon of Love. It's a great 'comeback' album. Had Martin not called it 'LOL 2' then I doubt there would have been as much media coverage, and hence less sales. It's up there with Alphabet City and Up for me.
robgrillo

Return to Music