General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Postby SubHuman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:58 am

I notice that there is a new album of Thompson Twins Remixes & Rarities out in September. Haven't been able to find a tracklisting.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:27 am

SubHuman wrote:I notice that there is a new album of Thompson Twins Remixes & Rarities out in September. Haven't been able to find a tracklisting.

Well spotted, you got me interested and (potentially) excited! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 am

My favourite Madness track, in fact the first I ever heard from them would be "Baggy Trousers"... still sounds great fun, fresh and appealing!
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:15 pm

SubHuman wrote:I notice that there is a new album of Thompson Twins Remixes & Rarities out in September. Haven't been able to find a tracklisting.

On the Cherry Red Records website...

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/cherrypop-exd.asp?id=4799
:) ;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:36 am

Restless night and woke up about 4.30am, slipped on greatest hits package of UB40 to try to relax. 'One In Ten' still sounds great and I think 'Food For Thought' is probably the first pop music I heard way back in 1980.

Recently I also came across, via the Oxfam bookshop greatest hits CD's from The Beatles and Boney M (lots of good tracks on that like 'Nightflight to Venus').

I've never listened to a full album from The Cure but going to give 1987's 'Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me' a listen...
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:53 pm

offering such a wide range of styles from edgy agressive, to restful ballads to catchy pop songs 'Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me' by The Cure is a really excellent CD album and definitely one I'll be hanging onto. It rather confounds expectations like starting off with the edgy agressive 6 min opener 'The Kiss' and then followed by beautiful song 'Catch'. So many highlights on offer not least the singles 'Why Can't I Be You?' and 'Just Like Heaven' (with its band iconic guitar sound) and a bonus that the seventeen songs offered up add up to 72 mins of content... can't be may original release albums that offer so much. Love Roberts vocals but just don't think too much about the lyrics as you'd probably be wondering just where his head was at when he wrote it. Big smiles of satisfaction from me for this album! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:49 am

Recently got my hands on a copy of 'Closer To The Truth', Cher's 2013 album and IMO a lot to impress in the largely appealing euro synth pop (approx) 68 mins from the lady with an excellent singing voice. Stand out track for me is 'I Walk Alone' with it's occasional banjo playing and the fleeting guitar solos on pleasing ballard 'Sirens'. I also like 'Dressed to Kill' and 'Red' and think 'I Hope You Find it' is a total classic and no doubt will become a karoke standard. Amongst the bonus tracks there are a couple of remixes of 'Woman's World', the Jodie Harsh Remix swelling out to over six mins is particularly good and imposingly resolute synth beat will not be unfamiliar to remixes that Human League have offered up either officially or through fan versions.

Took me by surprise when it was released last year but thrilled to bag a copy for under a tenner (£7.71 from Amazon, result!) as this truely is excellent listening value for money!
=D =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:36 pm

I really like the Cure, although I've only got one album Staring At The Sea, an early singles collection.

Cher is not really my cup of tea, she's a good singer but I don't much like the material, Sandra's more into Cher and has her Love Hurts album.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Issue 13 (October/November 2014) of Classic Pop Magazine has been out a few weeks now but I guess it isn't getting much interest from people here. With Spandau Ballet on the cover I have to say that I am less than impressed with the content and certainly won't be dipping my hand in my pocket to buy a copy. The 'lowdown' feature is on Duran Duran, most of which we already know about/have read about and I personally am not a fan of Holly Johnson so an interview with him doesn't really interest me. They gave a fairly poor review of the recent Cherry Pop extended remixes of Thompson Twins other than that nothing else sticks in my memory.
=(

Let's hope Issue 14 will be better :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:40 pm

No I won't be getting this issue of Classic Pop, the last two have been fairly disappointing!
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Got the new Trademark album, it's very good, much better IMO than the early stuff that I listened to.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:32 pm

I noticed in passing that there is a programme on ITV next Tuesday at 9 pm: Spandau Ballet - True Gold. The band play some of their hit singles and are interviewed by Christine Bleakley.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:18 am

SubHuman wrote:I noticed in passing that there is a programme on ITV next Tuesday at 9 pm: Spandau Ballet - True Gold. The band play some of their hit singles and are interviewed by Christine Bleakley.

There is also a 'special' on Absolute 80s DAB radio after 'Forgotten 80s' on Sunday evening, 12th October 2014 at 9.00pm ;)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Just received in the post today, 'Listen' which was the second album from A Flock of Seagulls. Haven't had a proper chance to look over it but approx. 71 mins and five bonus tracks plus the usual weighty booklet so typical of Cherry Pop should mean this CD reissue of their 1982-1983 album is good listening at some point tomorrow morning
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:42 am

Been enjoying 'Listen' from Flock of Seagulls and for me standout album tracks would be 'Electrics' and 'The Traveller' but also I welcome a bonus track of the extended remix of 'Wishing', still a great song but at over nine minutes in length that is stretching it possibly a bit too far?

Also received on Saturday (bit later, guess the postman was having a funny five minutes(?!)) was the self titled debut album and although only 55mins for me it is definitely the better of the two. Slick, self assured synth pop with an obvious appreciative nod to Science Fiction fandom... all sounds really excellent to my ears and is definitely my current 'new favourite thing'. I love 'Standing In The Doorway' (starting off gentle but quickly developing into edgy aggressive post-punk sound reflecting the tense lyrics) and the very hard push at the science fiction feel in both lyrics and music on 'Don't Ask Me'.

Both have accompanying 16 page booklets with full lyrics, discography and a few nice pics but for me it all feels rather workmanlike and fairly unremarkable. The two pages they could have spent talking about the commercial success and recording of the album and related singles is instead given over to an American fans memories of buying the album.

However this is a minor quibble as, at the end of the day it is the music that really matters and both albums are definitely excellent and well worth adding to my collection of CDs. A very happy music fan!!! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Just been doing a little bit of searching and was delighted to find this taken from their second album... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HLmqN8Clm0 IMO it is a fun video with lots going on and I like the funky feel of the guitars and backing vocals of the dreadlocked keyboard player in what I feel is a very pleasing song. Taken from their second album 'Twilight of Idols' which I absolutely love but have no wish to upgrade from extended version audio cassette to CD as the new re-release I feel rather short changes the originally released extra content.

For those people who know Fashion the original lead singer is I guess whom they are better known and the best promo I found was for 'Love Shadow'... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqtgYDGnuaQ
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:37 am

Don't really know of Fashion, the first songs sounds vaguely familiar. I've listen to both YouTube tracks Sarah but it's not my sort of music. Also been listen to Daft Punk, not sure, I liked some of their tracks but not others, don't think I'll be buying.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:43 pm

Just ordered CD's from A Flock of Seagulls ('The Story of a Young Heart') and Nick Heyward (2 disc 'North of a Miracle') plus the soundtrack CD to the 007 film "Live and Let Die" which should turn up at some point over the next three weeks

Definitely something to smile about I think! =D
sarah t

Postby StevieD » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:35 am

StevieD

Postby sarah t » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:34 am

Received Nick Heyward's 'North of a Miracle' 2 CD release in post yesterday and am very impressed. CD 1 is 53 mins whilst CD 2 is 78 mins! The usual typical high standard for a Cherry Red Records release is maintained with a really quite stunning sixteen page booklet which is beautifully illustrated with colour photos throughout. Nick himself talks (08-09-2010) about the album, on page three, saying that it is 'like an old steam ship'? Gary Crowley (August 2010) tailors a seductively appealing three page overview of the album and the 1983 music scene in general over three pages which I thought was a very good read and sits very well whilst listening to the CD's. Six pages given over to full lyrics of the original albums ten tracks as part of this really stunning, entirely satisfying accompanying booklet. I am absolutely delighted to nab a copy of this, definitely a very high quality item and an excellent addition to my music CD collection.

Don't know about other albums that Heyward has brought out but for me this is definitely an essential purchase and would definitely recommend it if you don't have a copy as it is great 80s pop!
=D =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:33 pm

Got the third Flock of Seagulls album 'The Story of a Young Heart' on CD in the post yesterday. Very impressed to see that this re-issue swells out to 76 mins, very happy with that! :)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Been listening to Nick Heyward's 'North of A Miracle' and this is definitely my current 'new favourite thing'. This morning I found listening to the second CD, swelled out to an incredible (approx.) 78 mins an extremely uplifting positive morale boosting experience. Half is made of a live performance and I liked how he initially misled us before launching into classic Haircut 100 tracks 'Favourite Shirts' and 'Fantastic Day'. So many excellent tracks on offer on both discs but the standout best song for me has got to be 'Atlantic Monday'.

It is just so aggressively confident, fast flowing and positively upbeat offering up a solo spot for alto saxophone. If you are not dancing or at the very least toe tapping to this dance floor classic chances are you need to check your pulse! I am just so totally blown away by it that, and I don't say lightly, I feel it is probably the best song I have ever heard in my entire life... it really is that good for me!!! =D =D =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:50 am

Just noticed on Amazon there is to be a re-issued of OMD's Junk Culture album in a deluxe two cd set. Not an album I know but it does feature Tesla Girls apparently. Will check out the other tracks on Spotify.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:48 pm

SubHuman wrote:Just noticed on Amazon there is to be a re-issued of OMD's Junk Culture album in a deluxe two cd set. Not an album I know but it does feature Tesla Girls apparently. Will check out the other tracks on Spotify.

Yeah I've noticed that it has cropped up in my Amazon recommendations. Good to see second disc has extended mixes of Locomotion and Tesla Girls (the second of which I think will really benefit well for a lengthier cut) however I'm not overly keen on a 'swelled out' mix of Talking Loud and Clear, for me barely tolerable on 7" cut. The Highland Studios demos should be worth hearing I think.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:04 pm

Been listening to 'The Finest' of The Fine Young Cannibals over the weekend. First disc is 52 mins and love 'She Drives Me Crazy, 'Johnny Come Home', 'Suspicious Minds' and cannot help but clap along to 'Good Thing'. I like the good use of saxophone on 'Funny How Love Is'.

This title has a bonus 43 min 'The Rare and the Remixed' CD with some good extended cuts on offer.
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to Music