General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Postby SubHuman » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:41 pm

Just listening to Jellybean and Adele Bertei - Just A Mirage:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4rOATW58zM

I remember this from the late eighties, Mrs Subhuman has it on a double cassette "Jellybean Rocks The House".
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:48 pm

sarah t

Postby sarah t » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:59 pm

Was pleasantly surprised to come across a pristine 'as new' copy of this... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roxy-Music-Live/dp/B000087D7I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1424264244&sr=1-1&keywords=roxy+music+live

Great Sunday listening I think! :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:21 am

Hi Chaps, came across this by chance on Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Romantics-L ... +romantics

It's a book about the New Romantics style etc, in case you haven't seen it before.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:31 pm

It has been quite a while but via the Oxfam bookshop stockroom recently I came across ‘People Hold On – The Best Of’ by Coldcut with its whacky cartoon like front and back covers plus booklet. I only knew them for ‘Doctorin’ The House’ (Featuring Yazz and The Plastic Population)’, quite a unique but appealing pop tune with lots of sampling in it. Looking down this collection ‘My Telephone’ is quite good, ‘Plastic Man’ is a brilliant 12” stretched to over 6 mins but ‘Coldcut’s Christmas Break’ is initially an intriguing novelty but could IMO on repeated plays start to grate on your nerves.

Now I was aware that when [David] Sylvian went off to pursue his solo career his former bandmates from Japan looked to further explore their own post group music projects. I haven’t actually come across Mick Karn’s endeavours apart from being aware, and liking very much, his duet with Midge Ure on ‘After A Fashion’. No what I am coming to is two CDs that unless you are familiar with the names of those concerned you would probably pass over. ‘Stories Across Borders’ is a 37 min (approx.) 1991 offering from Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri and is very much in the flavour and style of Japan. For me standout track is ‘Nocturnal Sightseeing’ of this eight track instrumental album. There was also a second album from 1997 with the names of ‘Jansen, Barbieri and Takemura’ on the cover called "Changing Hands". I haven’t actually had chance to listen to this approx. hour long CD but hopefully over weekend I’ll find some time.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:58 am

sarah t wrote:It has been quite a while but via the Oxfam bookshop stockroom recently I came across ‘People Hold On – The Best Of’ by Coldcut with its whacky cartoon like front and back covers plus booklet. I only knew them for ‘Doctorin’ The House’ (Featuring Yazz and The Plastic Population)’, quite a unique but appealing pop tune with lots of sampling in it. Looking down this collection ‘My Telephone’ is quite good, ‘Plastic Man’ is a brilliant 12” stretched to over 6 mins but ‘Coldcut’s Christmas Break’ is initially an intriguing novelty but could IMO on repeated plays start to grate on your nerves.

Now I was aware that when [David] Sylvian went off to pursue his solo career his former bandmates from Japan looked to further explore their own post group music projects. I haven’t actually come across Mick Karn’s endeavours apart from being aware, and liking very much, his duet with Midge Ure on ‘After A Fashion’. No what I am coming to is two CDs that unless you are familiar with the names of those concerned you would probably pass over. ‘Stories Across Borders’ is a 37 min (approx.) 1991 offering from Steve Jansen and Richard Barbieri and is very much in the flavour and style of Japan. For me standout track is ‘Nocturnal Sightseeing’ of this eight track instrumental album. There was also a second album from 1997 with the names of ‘Jansen, Barbieri and Takemura’ on the cover called "Changing Hands". I haven’t actually had chance to listen to this approx. hour long CD but hopefully over weekend I’ll find some time.

How was it Sarah?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:19 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:It has been quite a while but via the Oxfam bookshop stockroom recently I came across ‘People Hold On – The Best Of’ by Coldcut with its whacky cartoon like front and back covers plus booklet. I only knew them for ‘Doctorin’ The House’ (Featuring Yazz and The Plastic Population)’, quite a unique but appealing pop tune with lots of sampling in it. Looking down this collection ‘My Telephone’ is quite good, ‘Plastic Man’ is a brilliant 12” stretched to over 6 mins but ‘Coldcut’s Christmas Break’ is initially an intriguing novelty but could IMO on repeated plays start to grate on your nerves.

How was it Sarah?

IMO 'Changing Hands' wasn't as good as 'Storm Across Borders', the latter has more of Japan band feel about it.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Thu May 14, 2015 12:35 pm

I have a copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hits-B-Sides-Prince/dp/B000002MNF/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1?ie=UTF8&refRID=12W353RW8RGJT1F1T0YN which I think is pretty much definitive however annoyingly something funny has happened to all three discs and will not play any more... really cannot understand it.

As a worthy alternative I was pleased to see that this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Prince/dp/B000E6EHI6/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1431602914&sr=1-7&keywords=Prince has cropped up at my local ASDA... sounds extremely tempting for a two CD title for only £5 with some great extended remixes on offer =D but after recent a recent worrying situation, thankfully now resolved I'm hesitant at present to dip my hand in my pocket for anything other than the day-to-day basics. Perhaps in a couple of weeks I'll feel different :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu May 14, 2015 11:30 pm

sarah t wrote:I have a copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hits-B-Sides-Prince/dp/B000002MNF/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1?ie=UTF8&refRID=12W353RW8RGJT1F1T0YN which I think is pretty much definitive however annoyingly something funny has happened to all three discs and will not play any more... really cannot understand it.:/

I take it you've tried playing them in your computer? How old are the disks, I've only had one disk develop a fault and it's pretty badly scratched, even so it still plays but sort of drops out on one track.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri May 15, 2015 10:22 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:I have a copy of this http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Hits-B-Sides-Prince/dp/B000002MNF/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1?ie=UTF8&refRID=12W353RW8RGJT1F1T0YN which I think is pretty much definitive however annoyingly something funny has happened to all three discs and will not play any more... really cannot understand it.:/

I take it you've tried playing them in your computer? How old are the disks, I've only had one disk develop a fault and it's pretty badly scratched, even so it still plays but sort of drops out on one track.

Thanks for the reply... yes I've tried it on the computer and CD players. There are no scratches at all on the discs, they were perfect when I came across this title via the Oxfam bookshop and I naturally take care handling CDs when taking them to and from the case.

Anyway I've now got another music title from a 80s band that the music press really gave a very hard time... I thought they were only a one hit wonder (I'll put a link up when I get the CD) but it is a greatest hits package. There is also an amusing TV-am interview with a couple of band members which I'll also link.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri May 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Don't tantalize us Sarah, what's the name of this eighties group?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat May 16, 2015 12:23 pm

SubHuman wrote:Don't tantalize us Sarah, what's the name of this eighties group?

...and why not!!! Bet you are the kind of guy whom finds it difficult waiting until Christmas day before opening presents! ;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun May 17, 2015 10:20 am

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Don't tantalize us Sarah, what's the name of this eighties group?

...and why not!!! Bet you are the kind of guy whom finds it difficult waiting until Christmas day before opening presents! ;)

Not at all, I buy my own presents to avoid disappointment. =D
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Thu May 21, 2015 12:09 pm

Two bands who probably deserve their own thread but I can't be bothered to do them ;)

After seeing them name around for years, I finally listened to Agent Side Grinder a couple of months ago and saw them live last night. They're bloody brilliant, synthy/post punky stuff - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lw_jd8SG08 Shame they didn't have much of a crowd in......

My new favourite band of the moment are Empathy Test - http://www.empathytest.com/ Very 'Hurts' which can't be a bad thing IMHO, esp as Hurts have gone AWOL!! ;)
They're doing a little UK tour soon as well - really worth checking out live :)
Electric Dream

Postby SubHuman » Thu May 21, 2015 1:14 pm

Thanx for the info, I've enjoyed some of the bands you've mentioned in the past
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri May 22, 2015 3:31 pm

sarah t wrote:Anyway I've now got another music title from a 80s band that the music press really gave a very hard time... I thought they were only a one hit wonder (I'll put a link up when I get the CD) but it is a greatest hits package. There is also an amusing TV-am interview with a couple of band members which I'll also link.

Ok so it turned up today and I can now reveal... gasp! that it is '21st Century Boys: The Best of' Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Very controversial in appearance (a throw back to shocking 70s glam rock perhaps???) and musical style and I personally only knew them for one song the mighty catchy 'Love Missile F-11 (here is a reminder ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk30a0qsVIk) so it promises to be an interesting musical 'voyage of discovery' going through the 20 tracks of a CD that runs to approx. 76 mins. The booklet is a fold out six panel design, one side with various pics of the band and the other provides disography with single release covers plus track credits, just looking over this I notice that Giorgio Moroder had a hand in producing some of the tracks.

Oh yeah and whilst I am here this is the link to a somewhat amusing TV-AM interview that a couple of the guys gave, worthy just for sweet innocent Anne Diamond's reaction at 3:10! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9q5_BTyM4w :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat May 23, 2015 1:15 am

Sarah, Sigue Sigue Sputnik! I only remembered the name so I had a look at YouTube, they were all rather camp glam in appearance, reminded me of the White Punks On Dope vidoe by the Tubes. Can't say I warmed to the music, pretty much contrived synthpop.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu May 28, 2015 10:18 am

SubHuman wrote:Sarah, Sigue Sigue Sputnik! I only remembered the name so I had a look at YouTube, they were all rather camp glam in appearance, reminded me of the White Punks On Dope vidoe by the Tubes. Can't say I warmed to the music, pretty much contrived synthpop.

Sorry but I am absolutely loving the fresh upbeat 'greatest hits' of Sigue Sigue Sputnik showing you can't judge but [outrageous] appearances. =D

Been listening to the greatest hits of 'The Style Council' this morning, I think they started off excellently with 'Shout to the Top', 'My Ever Changing Moods', 'Walls come tumbling down' and 'Speak Like a Child' but the second phase of their releases was fairly boring and uninspiring. :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Simply Red have a new album, Big Love, coming out to mark thirty years since they formed. In case anyone here is interested. Not my favourite band from the eighties but some good songs never the less.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:12 pm

Dam! having been disappointed with recent issues I've just seen the new 'Classic Pop' magazine and IMO it is an absolute cracker! =D

With the three members of A-Ha looking out from the cover they also feature in the 'Lowdown' section, good for catching up with their best album, single and promos. Surprised with the couple of albums they claim are 'only for the brave', I have both of them and don't think they are that bad, I rather like most of what you find on Memorial Beach.

The issues classic album is Avalon from Roxy Music which gains excellent coverage and insight into the iconic collection.

There are interviews with G.Moroder (wonder if he talks about working with Oakey?), Martin Gore (apparently currently plugging a new solo album) and Howard Jones.

There are other highlights throughout this edition certainly making it well worth nabbing a copy. Don't know when I'll be getting it but I'm sure it will be hanging around the newsagents and supermarkets for quite some time to come so guess I'll get mine at some point in the future.
=D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:44 pm

It is interesting to hear from Bernard Sumner on page 17 of Classic Pop where during a brief one page interview he hinted that the forthcoming new album is ‘more electronic than the last two. It’s more hard-edged, crude electronics, like old-skool New Order’. Perhaps it will emulate what is possibly their most successful 80s period (“Blue Monday” & “True Faith”) so sounds promising!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Just listening to Paul Young's No Parlez album really like this eighties offering. E.g. :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEn6amCRQfI
SubHuman

Postby chopper » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:39 pm

sarah t wrote:It is interesting to hear from Bernard Sumner on page 17 of Classic Pop where during a brief one page interview he hinted that the forthcoming new album is ‘more electronic than the last two. It’s more hard-edged, crude electronics, like old-skool New Order’. Perhaps it will emulate what is possibly their most successful 80s period (“Blue Monday” & “True Faith”) so sounds promising!

I'll look forward to that release.
I do love a bit of New Order/Electronic.
I'M ONLY HUMAN
chopper

Postby sarah t » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:58 am

Picked up a copy of this for £5 from ASDA yesterday... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spellbound-Collection-Siouxsie-Banshees/dp/B00PL0LQK2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435312418&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=siouxsie+and+the+bandshees

I'm not really up on their back catalogue, haven't got any of the albums so this is a worthy collection to have. A few familiar tracks there like 'Spellbound' 'Happy House', 'Shooting Sun', 'Kiss them for me' and 'Peek-a-boo'. The 8 page booklet has three page blub written by Jon Wilde and the inside back couple of pages have cover artwork for all albums from which the tracks are sourced. The CD itself is 74 mins so is great value!! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:35 am

Always enjoyed Siouxsie and the Banshees music although I only have a Best Of album. They were one of the better punk rock bands.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to Music