General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Glastonbury wasn't vintage this year, a few decent sets: Florence, Lionel Richie, Rudimental, and The Who were the best. I'm enjoying The Chemical Brothers at the moment.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:03 am

Moritz von Oswald with Tony Allen, for those of you that like post techno dub jazz fusion:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV2ROawyAEs
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:27 pm

Jeam Michel Jarre has a new album coming out .... all collaborations with various electronic peoples... includes Little boots , Vince Clark and loads more
several samples and stories are already online...
https://www.youtube.com/user/jeanmicheljarre
StevieD

Postby SubHuman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:15 am

StevieD wrote:Jeam Michel Jarre has a new album coming out .... all collaborations with various electronic peoples... includes Little boots , Vince Clark and loads more

Sounds quite interesting, good find Stevie.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:15 am

StevieD wrote:Jeam Michel Jarre has a new album coming out .... all collaborations with various electronic peoples... includes Little boots , Vince Clark and loads more

Sounds quite interesting, good find Stevie.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Quite by chance I came across this video of Tears For Fears Going To California recently:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPXoPpULOo

One of my favourite bands from the 80's after the Human League, such a shame they lost their way after Songs From The Big Chair.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:28 am

SubHuman wrote:Quite by chance I came across this video of Tears For Fears Going To California recently:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaPXoPpULOo

One of my favourite bands from the 80's after the Human League, such a shame they lost their way after Songs From The Big Chair.

Not overly keen on Tears For Fears although 'Everyone Wants to Rule The World' is fantastic, definitely the best thing they ever done. Nothing else they've done really impresses me. :/
sarah t

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:12 am

Earlier TFF stuff was great, some fabulous singles like Mad World, Change, Pale Shelter, and the Songs From The Big Chair had some classics like EWTRTW, Shout and Woman In Chains.

I saw them support Spandau Ballet here on Sydney, and they were fantastic.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:20 pm

JJ wrote:..................I saw them support Spandau Ballet here on Sydney, and they were fantastic.

Yes great live performance was always one of their strong points.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:59 am

Featured recently on 'Forgotten 80s' on Absolute 80s DAB radio show found the video for this great song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u6bmagKNfc

Good to see some synths in a video :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:51 am

Something different, Blue by the Moritz von Oswald Trio:-

https://open.spotify.com/album/5TDUk8DcqxhphZR9Bda0Je
SubHuman

Postby Knowlesy » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:03 am

For anyone that's interested there are interviews with JMJ in the current issues of Future Music and Mojo. He's on the cover of Future Music and there's plenty of shots of his studio and his wonderful collection of synths as well as the long interview. With this new album he's getting a lot of well-deserved recognition and praise for being such a pioneer in music.
Knowlesy

Postby StevieD » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:55 pm

There's a radio 2 thing on this coming sunday with JMJ. Think it's 1PM. sounds interesting seeing as I couldn't understand a word of the French dubbed into German Arte.de program I managed to stream on Kodi the other day.
StevieD

Postby SubHuman » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:39 am

Freeez - Mariposa(Butterfly):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uClb7xpQps
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:48 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/progin ... chel-jarre
Radio 6 1pm Sunday UK time not radio 2.
StevieD

Postby JJ » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:15 am

JMJ's Concerts In China is a brilliant album I still listen to regularly. He did that tour well before Wham went there and were incorrectly heralded as the first western artists to play in communist China.

Funnily enough a similar thing happened with Palace. In 92 we were the first club to go to post apartheid South Africa for a tournament. But when ManUre went there the following year what do you know - 'hey, we're Man United and we're the first team to vusit South Africa!' No, you weren't!!
JJ

Postby StevieD » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:51 pm

It was a great program. Now available for download in mp3 format. Let me know if u need it emailing JJ.
Destination docklands cd is great live, I keep thinking of those poor souls who went cos it absolutely chucked it down.
I saw him in Paris on bastille day, brilliant. Then later at Wembley stadium..... Not so great
StevieD

Postby JJ » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:42 pm

StevieD wrote:It was a great program. Now available for download in mp3 format. Let me know if u need it emailing JJ.
Destination docklands cd is great live, I keep thinking of those poor souls who went cos it absolutely chucked it down.
I saw him in Paris on bastille day, brilliant. Then later at Wembley stadium..... Not so great

I was at the Docklands gig, and yes I got pissed on!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:48 pm

I was watching the approx. 2 hour 'Greatest Hits of OMD' on Sunday morning... so many fantastic songs but if I had to pick out my favourite three (impossible I know) I would go with...

1) Secret
2) Telegraph
3) Tessla Girls
=D

What would be your favourites???
sarah t

Postby Stingers » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:43 am

Lovin this at the moment : Duke Dumont - Ocean drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDxJlW6cxRk
Stingers

Postby sarah t » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:24 am

(Surprised there is not a dedicated Kraftwerk thread so I'll stick what I want to say here! =( )

Came across the 1975 Kraftwerk album 'Radio-Activity' in Oxfam bookshop this week, I hadn't heard this one before, and apart from observing that 'they really don't go in for long albums', this one weighs in at a paltry 37 mins 46 secs I jotted down a few notes on some of the tracks on offer.

So the highlights for me out of the twelve tracks are 'Radioactivity' (a delicate haunting tune perhaps in the style of OMD?), 'Airwaves' (fast paced dance feel) and 'Antenna' (with its strange echoed resonance to vocals, perhaps similar in feel to early Human League).

Really enjoying catching up with each album Kraftwerk brought out =D but I think there are currently a few gaps in my collection.

I think now I'm only missing a couple of their albums which are 'Computer World' and I think there was one called 'Autobahn'. Metaphorically speaking 'really kicking myself' that I didn't get the live 'Minimum, Maximum' DVD and/or CD when it came out, guess I've probably missed my chance to get this now. :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Kraftwerk are surprisingly good considering that they're usually thought to be something of a cult band.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:21 am

Recently got my last thing from Amazon for this year... the Deluxe Edition of Simple Minds most recent album 'Big Music'.

It is a very handsome product, a smart high quality ridged card box containing three discs, a four by three square fold out poster and a four panel fold out booklet offering track writing credits and lyrics extracts to twelve songs. To the discs then and first one contains the album and I found it a very pleasing enjoyable way to spend 50 mins (well 51:47 if you want to be exact). There were no songs that I skipped, it all sounded great with the title track feeling the most memorable/strongest on a first listen all the way through. The second CD offers up a further six songs but if my maths are right I think you could add this 26 mins to the first disc so can't understand why they didn't do this. The third disc is the DVD whose contents total 51:34. There a couple of videos but I think the best items are undoubtedly 'Behind The Scenes' (13:41) and ''Band Interviews' (22:33). I've only briefly scanned through the contents (good to see the complete band (seven including two girl backing vocalists) in a vast stone arena rehearsing the songs both on the DVD and on the cover of this disc) but as you'd expect the usual suspects of [Jim] Kerr, [Charlie] Burchill and [Andy] Gillespie feature although I'm a bit sad that drummer Mal Gaynor didn't want to say anything. Definitely a high quality pleasing item that I am very happy to add to my music collection. =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:45 pm

I’ve recently come across a copy of ‘The Best of Joy Division’ (via Oxfam bookshop) which has two discs yielding roughly 96 mins of content. For me it feels mostly edgy and unsettling in tone however there are some true gems in this collection. With only roughly two years (1979-1980) to take from I was surprised that disc one offers up fifteen tracks (55:41) where I realise there was far more to the band than the truly outstanding timeless classic “Love Will Tear Us Apart”. I absolutely love “Transmission” and worthy of praise also are “Atmosphere”, “These Days” and “Heart and Soul”. There has been some welcome raiding the BBC archives for the second disc which offers up eight tracks from John Peel Sessions (the DJ well known for promoting new bands on his late night Radio 1 show), ‘Something Else’ with two tracks and, most intriguing a Richard Skinner interview with Ian Curtis and Stephen Morris, slightly shorter content at 40:51. I thought it was great to have two additional versions of “Transmission” and one of “Love Will Tear Us Apart”.

Now regarding packaging atypically this two disc release has what I believe is the rarely used classy ‘Super Jewel Box. The twenty page booklet is for me very disappointing with thirteen pages given over to answers to questions that have been asked of the band for various unknown people. Just a single page for the writer/producer credits but I would have preferred further detail as to release dates, featured on which albums and possibly lyrics. I understand that Joy Division are well known for obscure covers that never feature photos of the group. For this ‘Best of’ there is a slight relaxing of this with four figures in the near distance in the midst of a snow covered pedestrian walkway over a main road complete with railings and street lighting. Simplistic, stylish and in keeping with the band this is an interesting double disc celebration of the short-lived Manchester band before they morphed into New Order due to the sad suicide of lead singer Ian Curtis whose unique vocal inflections are clearly evident throughout the songs featured herein.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:04 am

Joy Division were a class act and arguably the best of the guitar based bands that formed part of the new wave that appeared in 1978 to 1980. Theirs was "authentic" music if such a thing actually exists and much of that was down to Ian Curtis's lyrics and the intense brooding way they were delivered. It was a tragedy that Ian Curtis died just as Joy Division were becoming recognised as a force in popular music.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to Music