General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: General Recommendations (not worth a whole thread)

Postby SubHuman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 am

Just ordered Discovery by Daft Punk, I've been listening to a ripped off copy for a while now and decided that as I like it so much I ought to buy a copy.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:24 pm

Been listening to 'A Map of the Floating City', the 2011 album from Thomas Dolby recently. The first three tracks ('Nothing New Under The Sun', 'Spice Train' and 'Evil Twin Brother') are really excellent but as to the rest... Well it all feels rather sloppy, self indulgent stuff which sounds like parts of the 'Astronauts & Herotics' album... but not as good.

Good packaging, interesting booklet with lyrics and I think it was connected with some on-line thing he was doing when it was originally released but overall didn't quite live up to my hopes :/
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:53 am

I was underwhelmed by Dolby's The Flat Earth when I first heard it but it's beginning to grow on me now. You may find the same thing with A Map Of The Floating City, Sarah.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:29 am

SubHuman wrote:I was underwhelmed by Dolby's The Flat Earth when I first heard it but it's beginning to grow on me now. You may find the same thing with A Map Of The Floating City, Sarah.

Good though 'The Flat Earth' is IMO, and I think other people on this forum, 'The Golden Age of Wireless' is probably his best album and an essential purchase/addition to any synth pop fans music collection! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:40 am

Over the past year or so I have slowly been collecting the 2003 Remastered soundtrack albums to the 007 James Bond films. This is a fantastic project that I've discovered with all having detailed booklets and some with extended/additional tracks that were not featured on the original release. The best ones for me have got to be 'For Your Eyes Only', 'You Only Live Twice', 'Diamonds Are Forever' and 'The Living Daylights'. Sadly certain titles are a bit thin on content like 'Moonraker' that barely reaches 30 mins but the 'space walk' track makes it definitely worth adding to my collection.

In the past few days I've finally got my hands on copies of 'From Russia With Love' and 'Thunderball', excellent examples of the stunning genius of John Barry. The former is 37 mins but the latter weighs in at an astonishingly impressive 79 mins. Must be about a year I have been trying to hunt these down but Amazon have always been offering it at the frankly ridiculous £40-£60 which is naturally far more than I would expect to pay. Absolutely thrilled to get them for £6 each from Amazon seller Digital Waves.

Currently waiting on my next soundtrack album, in the post at the moment, outside the 2003 remasters, but featuring the musical genius of David Arnold on 'Tomorrow Never Dies'
=D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Fri May 13, 2016 10:21 am

Recently nabbed a copy of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lone-Ranger-Deluxe-Jewel-Case/dp/B01BZHT56G/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1463130771&sr=1-1&keywords=suggs from those very nice people at Cherry Red.

If you like Madness, and frankly who here doesn't, there is a good chance this will also appeal. As expected this reissue is the usual high quality we've come to expect from Cherry Red as in you get a packed booklet with full lyrics and discography and weighty, generous content on the discs. Disc one is just over 74 mins whilst the second is nudging 66 mins. CD two offers a variety of remixes although most for me are fairly unremarkable particularly all those versions of Cecila. However there is a great girl rapper on a couple of tracks and my favourite is the 'No More Alcohol (Rapino's 12'' Mix)' (track 11 at 5 1/2 mins). I also love the two Camden Town remixes that open the CD with the first at seven minutes. Mostly infectious, toe tapping stuff that for me at least certainly made me smile quite a few times whilst listening to the entire content of this well assembled pleasing title! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat May 14, 2016 11:09 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Madness, I don't actively dislike them but I haven't any of their albums in my collection.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat May 28, 2016 12:44 pm

SubHuman wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Madness, I don't actively dislike them but I haven't any of their albums in my collection.

For me, and probably one or two others, Madness was one of those bands we grew up with... my interest in music started around the time that they were beginning to become massive with songs like 'Baggy Trousers' and 'Embarrassment'
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat May 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Bit distracted from listening to the new ABC album due to a recent surprise find at the Oxfam bookshop. I’m talking about the 2011 limited edition two CD set of ‘Essentials & Rarities’ from Jean Michel Jarre. It’s a clamshell cardboard box with the discs black on both sides, one with grooves, emulating the look of vinyl records. There is a nine square fold out information sheet containing further info to the tracks amidst a mired of synths, paperwork and photos.

Let’s take ‘Rarities’ first which almost runs to fifty-three minutes and as it says on the back of the outer box ‘for the very first time, compiled here is a selection of tracks I composed much before Oxygene, in the late sixties and early seventies at the Music Research Centre in Paris headed by Pierre Schaeffer, and in my first home studio’. The info sheet states years from 1968 to 1973 and quite frankly, for the most part, I’ve never heard anything quite like it before. Most of it very edgy and experimental and reminded my at times of very early original Human League aqnd the sampling that Depeche Mode were getting into from ‘Construction Time Again’. The lest said about opener ‘Happiness is a Sad Song’ which is very much a university student experimenting with various sound clips. There are some great tracks here like the beautifully stunning ‘Windswept Canyon’ and I love the punchy ethnic feel of ‘Iraqi Hitch-Hiker’.

I guess for the most part there is more familiar musical ground on the ‘Essentials’ disc which fills up seventy minutes of you listening time. ‘Souvenir of China’ and ‘Arpegiateur’ were new but appealing to me. Stand out track for me which I absolutely love is ‘Equinox 5’ and frankly if it doesn’t get your toe tapping then, in my opinion, chances are you should check your pulse. However the majority of this disc will make most people smile however I personally didn’t warm to ‘Zoolook’ which was a bit too weird for my tastes.

With the more accessible, what I categorise as mainstream offerings on ‘Essentials’ matched up with the intriguing edgy experimental nature of ‘Rarities’ this is a very pleasing unexpected addition to my music collection.
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun May 29, 2016 12:51 am

That all sounds very interesting Sarah, wonder if any of the tracks are on YouTube...?
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Mon May 30, 2016 8:35 am

Sarah, if you like J-MJ tracks like Arpegiator you should listen to his live album Concerts In China. I'm not normally a fan of live albums but this is a rare exception, with tracks (including Arpegiator) beefed up with heavier bass and drums from the studio versions. It's the album where Souvenir of China was originally from, also Fishing Junks at Sunset. But for me the best two tracks are definitely Equinoxe 7 and Magnetic Fields 2. Just check those two out if nothing else.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby StevieD » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:27 am

Christine and the Queens at Glastonbury was brilliant. Available to playback at BBC. Co. UK /Glastonbury.
Great performance on Graham Norton too.
StevieD

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:24 pm

StevieD wrote:Christine and the Queens at Glastonbury was brilliant. Available to playback at BBC. Co. UK /Glastonbury.
Great performance on Graham Norton too.

Hi Stevie, which day/channel were they on, I've recorded some of the programmes but I haven't listened to it all yet. New Order were fantastic last night playing a mix of new and old songs with much more new, i.e. from Music Complete and Waiting For The Sirens Call, than what we get from the League latest albums these days. The New Order performance was so good I'm thinking of bunging it onto a DVD for posterity.
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:31 pm

Hi SubHuman
They were on Glasto on Friday afternoon - here is a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ewcj5v/acts/a2nhj5#p03y1g56
there is also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKePTWkFjGc of the song Tilted
this is them on Graham Norton. http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ewcj5v/acts/a2nhj5#p03y1g56
I thought New Order were great too, and am looking forward to DARE I say it ELO and Coldplay later today who are the only 2 gigs I have been to this year .... 2 league gigs coming up - one at chilfest in a couple of weeks and then the tour in Dec.
Cheers
StevieD

Postby SubHuman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:05 pm

Thanks Stevie, this is better than politics. :cool:
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Yep. Currently singling along to ELO and annoying the family.
StevieD

Postby sarah t » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:41 am

Just thinking back to the music of the 80s as I often do I remember a UK Number 1 single from 1985 called 'Rock Me Amadeus' that was sung with so much passion, enthusiasm and... in German. Despite this I think it is a great song and a memorable video thanks to 'that wig'.

Well I wanted to hear more for the sadly no longer with us Falco and tracked down a 25th anniversary deluxe edition of his album '3' and I am so glad I did as with a CD weighing in at 79 mins you get ten standard tracks blus six more bonus tracks including an extended version of 'Rcok Me Amadeus' and 'Tourist version of 'Vienna Calling' (something I could not singing during Monday of this week) both weighing in at over seven minutes in length. This deluxe edition also offers up a 30 min bonus DVD of 'the making of the legendary falco 3 videos' with chat from the man himself and production crew plus full length promos looking suitably glossy. Not sure about him wearing a straightjacket in 'Jeanny' but 'Vienna Calling' really does well in promoting that fine city from whence Falco haled.

All great fun and a marvellous addition to my music collection!!! :) =D :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:33 am

Tracked down a few videos of Falco on YouTube: Rock Me Amadeus, Jeanny and Vienna Calling. Vaguely remember RMA but don't remember the others. As songs they're not bad, the videos I saw were quite interesting. That for RMA saw Falco with the same tailor as Adam Ant, the Jeanny video was clearly influenced by the film version of The Third Man and Vienna Calling was a live version with a somewhat camp look Falco singing and playing guitar with lyrics in German and English. Links below:-

RMA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVikZ8Oe_XA

Jeanny - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVikZ8Oe_XA

VC - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyRPH0cfMeg
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Was not sure about her last album but 'Familia' might be worth getting... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Familia-Deluxe-Sophie-Ellis-Bextor/dp/B01INMYXTA/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1470485736&sr=1-1&keywords=sophie+ellis+bextor

Preceded by a fairly pleasant single... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F8mEQsXVkQ, love her outfits in this!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:46 pm

well blow me down, out of nowhere Madness will be back with a new album pretty soon, love the front cover! =D ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cant-Touch-Us-Now-Madness/dp/B01JOMSHSG/ref=pd_sim_15_90?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=43P2T4XRMENKK75Y3217

Welcome back the 'nutty boys' after fours away since their last album! :)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:05 am

sarah t wrote:well blow me down, out of nowhere Madness will be back with a new album pretty soon, love the front cover! =D ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cant-Touch-Us-Now-Madness/dp/B01JOMSHSG/ref=pd_sim_15_90?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=43P2T4XRMENKK75Y3217

Welcome back the 'nutty boys' after fours away since their last album! :)

But how are you liking Gone To The Moon by Kagagoogoo?
SubHuman

Postby Electric Dream » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:29 pm

As with most of the stuff I post on here, I do think it's good enough for it's own thread but I can't be bothered making a new one, so they'll have to go in here ;)

Found a 'new favourite band' at Infest Festival last weekend - Me The Tiger. I would describe them as a 'rockier' Chvrches (though, they're not rock, so don't let my wording put you off) ;)

Here are a couple of songs to start with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEkc42gnC84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTxTZofJ5Kg
Electric Dream

Postby Pauline » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:53 pm

^^^^ I second that! When I saw "another female fronted" synthy band, I assumed i'd be bored. LOVED them. Great voice! They were very powerful live.
Pauline

Postby cs15 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:30 pm

Two decent tracks. Good live?
cs15

Postby Pauline » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Brilliant live! Blew me away. Mainly coz I wasn't expecting to like them. First "new" band I've liked in a looooonnng time.
Pauline

PreviousNext

Return to Music