Erasure & Related

Discuss all other music not related to The Human League here

Re: Erasure & Related

Postby JJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:55 am

[edit - if you have the same forum settings as me, you need to look back a page for the post before this one to keep it in order...JJ]

As it was a nightclub, the gig in Stockholm didn't start until quite late, so there was plenty of time to hang around beforehand. I watched them do the sound-check, and Paul Kendall asked if I'd like to put a tape in the mixing desk so have a copy of the show. Er, hello!! =D :cool:

Andy asked if I had anywhere to stay, I answered that I hadn't, so he said he had a friend called Barbie coming to the gig who could put me up for the night if I needed somewhere so I said that would be great, and thanks. Later Vince also asked me the same thing, and when I said Andy had sorted me out he asked who I was staying with "Andy's mate Barbie" I replied, at which point he descended into a fit of the giggles. It turned out Barbie was a Swedish pop singer, a transvestite wearing a white dress and a huge white wig, in whose apartment I lost my bar of soap - I'll come back to that!

Sonet was Erasure's music distributor in Sweden, and there was a nice guy at the show from Sonet who I got chatting to. He also offered me somewhere to stay, and also said he was driving down to the Hultsfred gig the following day and could give me a lift. Why oh why didn't I take him up on that... Because I'd said yes to staying with Barbie I thought it would be rude to then turn round and say no, I've had a better offer. It would also have negated the need for the most expensive taxi in history the following day. But I'll come back to that too.

But on to the gig itself. The place got absolutely packed, and I think I flogged quite a few t-shirts for them. I made my way down to the front, in between V & A in my "preferred" spot. They did their Wonderland set, but did two brand new tracks for the first time ever: Sexuality, and Sometimes which of course would be the single that propelled them from also-rans to the top end of the charts.

The concert was filmed by Sonet, although not commercially released I don't think. However I do have a copy of it thanks to Mansi. It's too embarrassing to watch for me, so let's just say if the Dome DVD is all about Electric Dream & Co in the front row, well... let's just say I appear in it a few times. At one stage I'm shoving fingers in my mouth to do a whistle, and at another, when Andy was about to do his usual introduction thing, he said to me "And now, before the rest of the show, tell them what I'm going to do Jonathan" (it's the only time he ever called me that!) What I didn't realise was that he'd also shoved the microphone right under my mouth, so when I shouted "Introduce them to the rest of the band!" I must have blown poor Paul Kendall's ears out on the mixing desk. I'm blushing now just thinking about it...

Anyway, that aside the gig itself was fabulous. The energy at those early shows was just amazing, Andy had been gaining confidence and it seemed the more confidence he gained, the fewer clothes he ended up with on stage, usually ending up in just his pants. I think they finished with Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! - a cert winner seeing as where we were - and they had to do multiple encores. The crowd loved them!

Afterwards, Andy asked me a favour. As it was a nightclub, under 18s weren't allowed in, but there were some younger fans that had waited by the stage door, along with some of the others that had been to the gig, so Andy asked if I could bring them in to the dressing room 2 or 3 at a time so they could do a meet and greet. So I did that for a bit before it was time for everyone to leave and for me to head off to chez-Barbie!

I only had a holdall with me, but it weighed a feckin' ton. Clearly taxis were unavailable because we walked to his place. It was a loooong walk - took about 40 minutes. When we got to his apartment I was exhausted, but he wanted to show me round. He was very proud of his bed that I remember very clearly was made of scaffolding. He also showed me the cells of his latest photo shoot for his new record. It was about 2am, and I had to leave at 5.30 to get back to the station. I slept on the sofa, got up at 5am and had a quick shower. It was only when I got to France that I had the next chance to have a shower, and when I discovered I must have left my only bar of soap in Stockholm. :/

Edit two - I just googled Barbie and found this
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby cs15 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:39 am

JJ There's a movie in these tales. =D
cs15

Postby JJ » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:51 am

In the words* of Karen Carpenter: I've only just begun!

*sort of. ;)
JJ

Postby Panzermensch » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:48 pm

Nice one JJ, but it's a cliffhanger. I was looking forward to the sordid details of your night with "Barbie"! ;) Where did that bar of soap end up!!??
Panzermensch

Postby StevieD » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Wears the soap ?
StevieD

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:17 pm

StevieD wrote:Wears the soap ?

Does, doesn't it.

Reminds me of the other nun joke:
Sister Mary is having her daily bath when there's a knock at the door. Realising her nakedness, she asks "Who is it?"
The person outside replies "The blind man."
"Oh, in that case come in."
The door opens, the blind man walks in and says "Hey, nice tits! Now where do you want me to hang this blind?" :p
JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:09 pm

Erasure are supporting Robbie Williams on his new tour.
JJ

Postby kraftwerkdave » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:58 pm

The chance to play to over a million people and promote a new album. Who'd turn that down?
kraftwerkdave

Postby cs15 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:10 am

Eh......The human League. Didn't they turn down Take That?

Erasure would be nuts to turn this tour down.
cs15

Postby JJ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 am

New album just turned up. Can see kraftwerkdave also got his name in it. :)

That said, from the little I've heard I don't think much of it.
JJ

Postby kraftwerkdave » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:47 pm

It's from the Pledge pre order. I really like it. Deliberately slower paced, much better lyrics than most of their recent albums and a couple of the best songs they've ever written. Unfortunately, Take Me Out Of Myself is one of the worst they've ever done.
kraftwerkdave

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:05 pm

JJ wrote:New album just turned up. Can see kraftwerkdave also got his name in it. :)

Nice! Congrats, Dave! :)

..John, just re-read your story. Amazing - good memories...how can an old man like yourself remember all this? did you keep a diary, or are you referring to old travel-spread-sheets? AND WHERE THE FUCK IS THE REST OF THE STORY!??
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby JJ » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 pm

The only spreadsheet was of the gigs I've been to. The rest of it is just from memory.
JJ

Postby JJ » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:59 am

Stig Olsen wrote:AND WHERE THE FUCK IS THE REST OF THE STORY!??

Now where was I...? Oh yes, I’d stayed the night at Barbie’s place in Stockholm – I say night, it was scarcely three hours before I had to leave for the station to head for Hultsfred which is in the middle of nowhere. Oh how I regretted turning down the offer from the Sonet rep of a place to stay / lift to the gig. I walked for some time in the early freezing morning until I eventually found the station, and bought a one-way ticket for Hultsfred. The lady said I had to change trains at Linnkopping – also in the middle of woop woop – and the journey from Stockholm to there took a couple of hours. I probably had no idea what time Erasure were due on stage, or whether they were headlining or just a support. I was so unprepared in those days...

When I got to Linnkopping I waited for the connecting train. And waited...and then waited some more. This couldn’t be right – the lady at Stockholm told me to change here! In I went to the ticket office. “Sorry Sir, there’s no train from here to Hultsfred” I was told. I explained how I had to get to Hultsfred as I had to get to a concert, and how I’d been given the wrong info in Stockholm. She said seeing as it was Swedish Rail’s fault they would call me/pay for a cab to the gig “That’s great – thanks!” It turned out to be about a two hour drive and cost a couple of hundred pounds (even in 1986). The driver was a really nice guy, no doubt enthused by the size of his fare, and we chatted non-stop about England, football, music etc.

So I turn up at the festival, no idea where to go, no ticket etc etc. I asked a nice young lady who had a pass on what the score was. “I’m here for Erasure.” She shook my hand (why?) and said “Come with me! Are you hungry?” “Erm, yes I am actually.” “Can I get you a sandwich or something?” A little bemused now: “Er, a sandwich would be great - thanks!” (Why is she doing this?) “Ham and cheese?” “Perfect! But no butter please...” (I’ve always hated it, and always will.) And then she showed me to the dressing room and it twigged that she thought I was in Erasure, not just there to see them. I certainly hadn't said I was in the band, just here to see them. But bloody hell that sandwich was good... nice rye bread, Swiss cheese and lots of ham. She’d disappeared off though... Very soon after, Mansi, Vince, Andy and Paul Kendall arrived. Mansi was his usual friendly self: “How the hell did you get in here?” “She brought me in here!” Mansi was pissed off, thinking that I’d told a porky. The girl was even more pissed off, thinking I’d also not only told a porky but that she’d also fed me under false pretences! She didn’t calm down until she saw that V&A didn’t mind that I was there, and by the time Mansi gave me the AAA pass she was OK and realised I did actually know them, and more to the point, they knew me!

Turned out that Erasure weren’t headlining – that was down to Van Morrison and his Brown Eyed Girl. But they were second on the bill so not on until late. That gave me some time to hatch a cunning plan as I had to find somewhere to sleep! Most people there were camping. It seemed to be in the middle of some sort of forest, it was raining, and I couldn’t exactly sleep in the dressing room. So I went on the hunt... If I could pull some foxy chick, then I could – hopefully – find a tent to stay in too, with maybe a little "how's your father" thrown in at the very least..! ;) So I went on a mission, and within an hour or so it was mission accomplished. I'd got chatting to a girl who was a) there to see Erasure, and who yes please, of course, she’d love to come backstage and meet them! and b) was staying in a big tent with a few of her friends, and yes I could share it. Good job JJ! :cool:

Before they went on stage Paul Kendall asked me if I wanted to put another tape in the mixing desk. I’d only brought two tapes with me to listen to on the trip, and one of them he’d used the day before to record the Stockholm one for me, so like a feckin’ moron I said “No, it’s alright.” Doh. The gig itself was a bit disappointing actually. Erasure were great - they always were back then - but because of the size of the crowd I had to watch it from in front of the crash barrier (the press area) so had to behave myself / keep out of the way of the people who’d actually paid to be there. I did get loads of great photos, though Andy had clearly learned the lesson from the night before and just introduced the band on hos own this time. :/

I took the girl back to see A&V afterwards – I didn’t handcuff her to my belt like I did a girl in Copenhagen a few days later, but again I’m getting ahead of myself. ;) V & A both shook hands with me and thanked me for coming, and said I should go to the next show the day after, I can't remember where it was. But I couldn’t, I had to get down to the south of France for Depeche which Vince ribbed me about. So we said our goodbyes, and I headed off to the girl’s tent for some, ahem, après-ski! Except it wasn’t really... my honour (and probably more to the point hers) remained intact, which meant I could look my gf in the eye when I got back to England. It pissed down that night, I hardly slept, and when I did finally nod off I awoke suddenly to the sight of a big snail making it’s way sedately across my pillow, inches from my face.

Next day I was on a schedule that was tighter than a gnat’s chuff. I had to get to Malmo on time to get the ferry to Copenhagen. If I missed it, I’d miss my train from Copenhagen to Paris via Hamburg on which I had a couchette booked, I’d then also miss the train from Paris to Bayonne, and therefore also the DM gig. I left the tent early – at least it was bright and sunny, and started to make my way out of the camping area. Very soon I somehow found myself in the middle of a field, with no-one in sight, and no buildings to aim at; I was well and truly lost. After the ensuing mild panic started to get a grip I finally bumped into a farmer who, typically, was the only person in Sweden who couldn’t speak a word of English. “Station?” I asked, keeping it simple, like you do. “Train?” He shook his head, probably shrugged his shoulders too. And then I had a brainwave. I said before how the Thomas Cook train timetable was effectively my bible for those 10 days, and once again it came to the rescue. It had a crap picture of a train on the back cover. But a crap train is still a train! I made a “whoo whooo!” noise and pulled my hand down in the air to indicate a train’s hooter in my best Casey Jones impersonation, and pointed to the picture. It worked! He smiled and nodded, and pointed me in the right direction.

I actually got to the station with some time to spare, but not a lot. It was one of those weird stations where the platforms are very low, and people just wandered across the tracks onto their platform. The train arrived, and I settled down to look back at what had been a bit of an unexpectedly bonkers couple of days, but still great fun and a proper adventure. I was on the train, comfortable, and heading south. The scenery through central Sweden is breathtaking. This was the life!

Except the train stopped just outside of Malmo for ages. I looked at my watch – I had very little time before the ferry left, and I had no idea even where the ferry place was. If it wasn’t slap bang next door to the station I was stuffed. The mniutes ticked by and I ws helpless. Finally we moved and pulled into the station, I tore off the train and... the ferry place was slap bang next door to it! Phew! Except I didn’t have a ticket for the ferry... This was serious, but luckily only a short queue. I bought the ticket very quickly and sprinted to get to the ferry, just as they were about to close off the boarding ramp. I’d made it, but by the skin of my teeth. And Michael Palin thought he had problems getting around the world in 80 days! But more fun was to come in the south of France with the Mode, which would make Stockholm, Barbie, Hultsfred and a close encounter with a farmer look like a vicar’s tea party. Drunkenness, whipping, fake guns and handcuffs, a shoulder top ride along a sheer cliff face - and that was just Martin!
JJ

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 am

Fun reading! Thanks! :)
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby cs15 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:47 am

There's a book in these stories.
cs15

Postby JJ » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:13 am

The journey from Copenhagen to Paris via Hamburg was uneventful, other than for the fact it remains the only time I’ve set foot in Germany. Similarly the train from Paris to Bayonne was no problem apart from the time it took (must have been at least 4 or 5 hours as it stopped everywhere.) It was on this train that I went to have a much needed wash only to discover the lack of bar of soap. We arrived in Bayonne late in the evening, and I had to find a hotel. It was around 9pm that I found one, but it was all shut. I banged on the door and an old guy came down. It was only a year since I’d passed A level French so was able to tell him what I wanted, and he took me in. The DM gig was the following day.

Next morning I asked around for the venue called Les Arenes. It was a bloody long walk from the hotel, and it being August in the south of France was also hot and sweaty, especially in leather jacket and jeans. Eventually I got to it and was horrified to learn it was the local bull ring. I absolutely DETEST bull fighting (in fact any form of animal cruelty is number one on my hate list).

Anyway, it was still only mid-afternoon, when I bumped into a few other fans, a couple of whom were English. A lad called Rob who bore a striking resemblance to Gary Numan, and a girl from Manchester called Nicki who – as fate would have it – ended up being my gf about a year later! There were also a couple of French fans with them – a girl whose name escapes me but who’d done the whole tour, was completely obsessed with Martin, and had named her dog ‘Somebody’ as a result, and a bloke called Jean which, being French for John, meant Rob had nicknamed him John Froggy.

Those late summer DM dates were the closing part of the Black Celebration tour, where they were doing some arena-type dates just to finish off, around Italy and the south of France, and ending up in Copenhagen after Bayonne. Turned out, much to my good fortune, that Rob and Nicky had got in with the tour manager Andy Franks – a nice guy – so when he came out of the venue to take them in before the doors opened, he brought me in too, which meant we got to sit and watch the band doing their sound check. Result! But it would get so much better...
JJ

Postby JJ » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:32 am

It was fun watching DM soundcheck in Bayonne, in fact it was more fun than the gig itself as it turned out. As I mentioned, they were playing in the local bullring, so the venue was round, and in the sawdust that covered the floor there were two concentric rings of dried blood, no doubt where the poor animals would have been dragged around the ring.

Andy Franks (DM's tour manager) came and had a chat to us during the soundcheck, as we sat high on the side of the arena alongside the stage, and told us where to wait after the show. He also gave us a backstage pass for afterwards. This was a wow! moment for me. I'd had them for Erasure, but never for someone as big / internationally successful as Depeche Mode! It was red and had the Stripped klaxon in white on it. It went striaght onto the jacket for fear of losing it.

When it was show time we moved down to the ground floor level. The reason it was a crap gig was nothing to do with DM, and everything to do with our position. Right at the very front where there was loads of room, and we soon found out why. The stage was so high that when you were stood at the front you could only see the top half of Dave unless he came right to the front, and couldn't see Martin, Fletch or Alan at all. The start of that tour for Black Celebration had been at Oxford Apollo. As it was the opening night they'd played Here Is The House - which they dropped immediately afterwards. I'd loved it, but by now the show was the same set list as for all the later shows, and apart from Stripped, Everything Counts and A Question of Time I can't remember any of it. I know what songs they would have played, but don't specifically remember them being played.

At the end of the show Rob, Nicky, John Froggy, girl whose name I can't remember and I went to the designated place, and Andy Franks took us backstage. The first thing I noticed was a f*ck off big decapitated bull's head in the corner! Bleurgh... Martin and Fletch recognised me from those early Erasure gigs. Alan Wilder was very friendly as was Dave Gahan. I sat down and had a chat with Dave, he took a photo out of his then wife (Jo) and was telling me how much he missed home and couldn't wait to get back. I've met him only a couple of times, but this was the time he was most forthcoming, seemed very much at ease and happy / willing to chat. He also offered me some of his cigarette, but that would be a no from me! ;)

Mart and Fletch were in a great mood, and posed for loads of pictures with us. After an hour or so everyone moved out to go back to hotels etc. We all walked outside to where the band's tour bus was, Dave, Alan and Fletch got on while Martin stood at the door and gave instructions. "You can come in" he pointed at Rob, "And you" to Nicky, and so on to John Froggy, Nicky and the other girl and then he got to me: "Yep, you can come." Bloody hell!! :cool: So we got on and sat down the back on the sofas on their tour bus back to their hotel and had more chats.

They were staying in Biarritz, and after the short drive we all got off and went in to their hotel. Dave and Alan disappeared straight up to their rooms with the promise of coming back down to "go on" somewhere else. Martin and Fletch waited in the lobby with us. There were only around half a dozen of us with them. Fletch went down on all fours so Martin - resplendent in green eye shadow, leather shorts, stockings and suspenders, handcuffs and various studded things could pretend to whip him with the chord from the lamp stand.

Soon after the word came down that Dave and Alan were too tired to go out so we all set off to walk to some nightclub they knew. We all walked along the promenade at the foot of the cliffs in Biarritz, before arriving at a set of steps carved into the cliff face. Martin was pretty pissed by this time - we had carried on drinking as we walked, I think - and he must have announced to Andre, the DM tour bodyguard - that he couldn't make it up the stairs. At which point Andre picked him up and sat him on his shoulders and climbed the steps. There must haven at least 50 and being set in a cliff face seemed incredibly dangerous / sheer drop. Mart was brandishing a fake gun too at this point, and when we got to the top of the steps, presumably in an act of 'thank God we made it up' he lay gracefully down across the bonnet of a parked car, gun still in hand. My photos from that night are treasured possessions...! =D

We all went into the local club that was there, and I remember thinking it wasn't very busy, probably as it was only the beginning of the week. I remember Martin was sitting at the bar talking to the girl with Somebody the dog, and there were a few others chatting to him so we left him alone, while Fletch stayed with us most of the time. Someone obviously tipped the DJ off, because suddenly 'Flexible' (b-side to Shake the Disease) was played. We did our duty and moved onto the dance floor, as did Fletch. As it happens Shake The Disease had got to number 1 in France a few months previously. At some point he also gave me studded wrist band to wear - I think a fan had given it to him, but he didn't really want it. He also had a black and white hooped band on his upper arm - I remember him trying to explain to a French person he wore it because it was symbolic for him.

I can't really remember too much of what happened for the rest of the time we were there, but I think Mart and Fletch were both still going when we left. I do remember the French girl being in tears at leaving Martin behind. He was trying to make her feel better, but she was very upset - she'd done all that southern European leg of the tour with Rob and Nicky. The next thing I remember after that was getting back to my hotel in Bayonne - somehow: I've no idea how - at around 4 or 5 in the morning, after about a thousand beers. The girl with Somebody needed to get changed so came up to the room with me, cue angry old guy that owned the place being disturbed and getting up and asking what was going on. I got my stuff and we left for the station. I remember some girl coming up to Rob and I outside the station asking who we were - like I said, Rob really looked like Gary Numan. He said his name was Dave Gahan and mine was Andy Fletcher, we were in a band called Depeche Mode and had she heard of us. "Non." At which point my brain filled with useless info remembered that Shake the Disease had been number 1 there so I started singing it. Recognition flooded her face and she asked for our autographs - I think it was her hand I signed!

It was time to say our goodbyes - Rob and I were heading on up to Copenhagen for the last night of the tour a few days later, but Nicky, John Froggy and the other girl were going home. I had a couchette booked on the train from Paris to Copenhagen, but I thought seeing as I was now with Rob I'd forego that and travel up with him. So we decided to stay a night in Paris and head up to Copenhagen on the Thursday. We'd arrive on the Friday, and the gig - the last of the world tour - was on the Saturday. What could possibly go wrong...?
JJ

Postby Panzermensch » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:25 am

This is edge of the seat stuff JJ ;) I'll actually be waiting for you in Copenhagen as a strapping 19 year old with long 80s hair and a colourfull ball shirt, wonder if we'll meet?
Panzermensch

Postby cs15 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:09 pm

Can you post photos on this forum? I think you can JJ. =D
cs15

Postby JJ » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:25 am

Last time I posted some of these photos some people from another forum started using them elsewhere, so I removed them.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:05 am

JJ, you should turn these stories into a book, Tales of a Misspent Youth, or some such thing. :)
SubHuman

Previous

Return to Music