The Football thread

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: The Football thread

Postby JJ » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:09 am

Danny C wrote:Liverpool fans as a rule tend to be a little more magnanimous than most, so it doesn't surprise me that LFCTV's commentary wasn't as rabid as some. Critics may say that this is indicative of the organisation as a whole, missing the mean streak that is often an ingredient of success on the field.

I agree, especially the first bit. I've always thought the crowd at Anfield was knowledgeable and appreciative of genuine effort/skill, and also largely spends the time supporting their own team rather than slagging off the opposition (I'm sure there are exceptions.) I also thought it was good that they clapped Benteke when he was substituted.

I've only been to Anfield twice, and both times we in the away end were loud and sang all through the game (both were evening games.) At the end of the games, when the players had left the pitch, the Kop acknowledged our support and gave us a good round of applause. We got an absolute spanking in both games (0-9, yes that one, and 0-5 in the League Cup semi final), so I guess it would've been easier to be magnanimous as you say, but still I appreciated the gesture.

Liverpool is a proper club, and I really hope they finish in the top 4, especially if it's at the expense of Manure.

Re your last point about hoping Palace play as well at OT, as it happens the general consensus on the Palace forum is that of those 3 wins against LFC, Arsenal and Chelsea, the performance against LFC was actually the worst of the 3. We gave Arsenal a proper going over and unbelievably (for us) never looked like losing, and against Chelsea the defending was unbelievable. Against Liverpool we had <30% possession as was also the case against the other two, but on the whole I didn't think LFC really bothered the GK too much. And if Coutinho hadn't stayed on his feet to get that shot off you should have had a penalty I thought. Small margins!
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:27 pm

Yeah I hope Palace beat ManU they're too arrogant by half.
SubHuman

Postby Pauline » Thu May 04, 2017 1:20 pm

Season over for Sheffield United. And what a season! I was at the last game, saw them be presented with the Cup, it was emotional!

I also went to see the obligatory open-top bus parade on Tuesday..... I'm 100% in!!!
Pauline

Postby JJ » Fri May 05, 2017 11:43 am

Pauline wrote:I also went to see the obligatory open-top bus parade on Tuesday..... I'm 100% in!!!

Excellent! :)

Reminds me of a time I'd driven down to Br*ghton for some reason. I didn't realise the local shithouse team had either won promotion from the 4th division, or some Mickey Mouse cup, and they were having their victory parade. Now I'm not entirely proud of this, but driving past some of them along the promenade, I opened the window and shouted 'EEEEEEEAAAAAAGLESSSS!!!!' at them. Well it made me feel better. :)
JJ

Postby Pauline » Mon May 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Yobbo!!!
Pauline

Postby JJ » Tue May 09, 2017 6:23 am

Good to see your lot got to 100 points, P!

You could amaze your other half by casually bringing up in conversation that Sheffield United actually scored the first ever goal in the Premier League in August 1992. From memory it was scored by Brian Deane against Man Utd in the early kick off in the first game.

Palace were at home to Blackburn that day. We grabbed a 3-3 draw with a very late equaliser from Simon Osborn, after a certain Alan Shearer had scored two excellent goals on his debut for Rovers. They were so good the ref (Roger Milford) actually clapped one of them which really pissed me off at the time.
JJ

Postby JJ » Tue May 09, 2017 6:27 am

Oh and mustn't forget to laugh at Br*ghton - 7 points clear at the top with 3 games to go to win the league, and they still managed to f*ck it up in the 89th minute of the last game! :lol:
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue May 09, 2017 10:24 am

JJ wrote:Oh and mustn't forget to laugh at Br*ghton - 7 points clear at the top with 3 games to go to win the league, and they still managed to f*ck it up in the 89th minute of the last game! :lol:

Personally I'm pleased Brighton didn't win the title as it doesn't bode well for the following season. Just look at last seasons championship winners Middlesborough now!
sarah t

Postby JJ » Tue May 09, 2017 11:23 am

Bugger that, I want them to crash and burn next year!!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Tue May 09, 2017 1:20 pm

JJ wrote:Oh and mustn't forget to laugh at Br*ghton - 7 points clear at the top with 3 games to go to win the league, and they still managed to f*ck it up in the 89th minute of the last game! :lol:

What is the problem with Brighton John?

Palace have a monster game on Sunday, against Hull, if Swansea win against Sunderland on Saturday
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue May 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Brighton, despite the difference in distance, have been Palace's arch rivals since the mid 70s. It all goes back to certain encounters back then.
JJ

Postby sarah t » Thu May 11, 2017 10:22 am

Another woeful performance from us last night as we were sunk 2-0 by Arsenal with mid table obscurity beckoning. =( There hasn't really been much for me to get too excited about this season apart from the initial performance of Gabbiadini but he has surprising gone off the boil of late. IMO I think that Clod, sorry Claude Puel has been very bad for our team with too much player rotation early season so that in particular strikers could not get up any sense of momentum. It wouldn't have harmed us if we had seen less of Forster as our goalkeeper... he needs a bit more pressure on retaining his place in matches from the subs who can step into replace him whenever it is required.

It is at this time of year that the local Southampton newspaper is asking its readers for their 'player of the season'. I could possibly pick Gabbiadini, or Van Dijk (whom we are desperate to hang to during the summer). Classe and Ward Prowse are possible choices but I guess I'd probably pick Yoshida whom got his first goal for the team this season and admirably stepped in as captain when Fonte left for West Ham.

Are there any players in the teams that you guys support that you've been impressed with this season???
sarah t

Postby JJ » Thu May 11, 2017 9:13 pm

Good question Sarah. I would always preface this sort of thing by saying that my opinion is only from watching the games on TV so in essence it's only based on what the camera's looking at, and therefore limited > worthless.

For me, our only stand-out player all season has been Zaha. He's always been skilful but this year he's had an end product with both goals and assists. In the second half of the season Andros Townsend and Luka Milivojevic have both impressed, and for the 8 games he played for us Mamadou Sakho was immense - probably MOM in at least 5 of them.
JJ

Postby Pauline » Sun May 14, 2017 10:09 pm

JJ wrote:Good to see your lot got to 100 points, P!

You could amaze your other half by casually bringing up in conversation that Sheffield United actually scored the first ever goal in the Premier League in August 1992. From memory it was scored by Brian Deane against Man Utd in the early kick off in the first game.

Palace were at home to Blackburn that day. We grabbed a 3-3 draw with a very late equaliser from Simon Osborn, after a certain Alan Shearer had scored two excellent goals on his debut for Rovers. They were so good the ref (Roger Milford) actually clapped one of them which really pissed me off at the time.

I started telling Andrew the story, and he finished it for me! ;-). He wasn't at the game as he was in Nice with his mate. How you guys remember this stuff is beyond me! Hahaha
Pauline

Postby Pauline » Sun May 14, 2017 10:12 pm

JJ wrote:BTW, great to see that Barnet are comfortably safe in mid-table - hope they can kick on a bit next year.

Also hope Sheffield Utd can win their last game and hit the 100 points mark. Incidentally P, ask your other half if he was at Wembley in 97 for the play off final against Palace. (I was - in fact "Hopkin, looking to curl one!!" is the best individual moment I've ever had as a Palace fan... :))

He wasn't there, but says you won n the last minute. Not a happy bunny hehehe

He's just looked it up online, he says that Palace had four future Blades in the team (inc subs) that game. Can you name them?
Pauline

Postby JJ » Mon May 15, 2017 12:09 am

Certainly was the last minute, and it was karma, because in the play-off final the year before we lost 2-1 at Wembley to Leicester with literally the last kick of the game. Sheff Utd had Jan Aage Fjortoft up front, and I specifically remember he flashed a shot across the goal in the second half that was uncomfortably close to going in at the far post, and as it went wide I looked at my watch and was horrified to see there only about 5 minutes left, as I had no idea how little time we'd have had to respond if it'd gone in. A key event in the game was I Don Hutchinson (I think) going off injured early on with a buggered shoulder - he was a key player for SUFC back then.

I had to look the 97 team up - I could only remember 11 of the 14. Our team that day was:

Carlo Nash (GK)
Marc Edworthy
Kevin Muscat (had forgotten he was playing)
David Tuttle
Andy Linighan
Dean Gordon
Andy Roberts
David Hopkin (c)
Simon Rodger (forgot he'd played too)
Neil Shipperley
Bruce Dyer
Substitutes:
Ray Houghton
Carl Veart
Leon Mackenzie (had forgotten he played too)

At a wild guess (haven't looked it up) I'd guess Carl Veart, Dave Tuttle, maybe Carlo Nash? and Bruce Dyer?

On a more recent note, our game against Hull was about as stress-free as it gets bearing in mind the circumstances. The early goal from a shocker of a mistake certainly helped, but we did get lucky twice: at 1-0 Hull should've had a penalty as Puncheon stuck his arm out in the box (luckily it was on the ref's blind side) and in the build-up for the second goal Zaha touched the ball with his arm. That said, Hull were very poor. But it's nice to go into the last game against Manure with safety guaranteed.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Mon May 15, 2017 10:29 am

Great result for Palace JJ, not so good for Hull who were holed below the waterline and sank without trace ;). Good result for Swansea too who once again have pulled off a great escape.

Bristol Rovers have again had an inconsistent season and missed the play-offs.
SubHuman

Postby Pauline » Fri May 19, 2017 10:06 pm

JJ wrote:
At a wild guess (haven't looked it up) I'd guess Carl Veart, Dave Tuttle, maybe Carlo Nash? and Bruce Dyer?

Close! It wasn't Carlo Nash, it was Neil Shipperley!

I think you and Andrew should go for a pint next time you're over :-)
Pauline

Postby SubHuman » Sat May 20, 2017 12:14 am

That'll be the next time Palace get to the FA Cup final! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun May 21, 2017 8:08 am

Pauline wrote:I think you and Andrew should go for a pint next time you're over :-)

I'd like that Pauline. :)
JJ

Postby JJ » Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 am

I'm super proud of my kids' teams.

Daniel's U9 team is in Division 1 (though they're still non-competitive) and played a very good team yesterday in round 7. We went 0-1 down just after half-time - the first goal we've conceded since the first game - but came back to win 3-1 to remain unbeaten. They didn't lose a single game last season so their last defeat was in mid 2015, a fantastic effort!

Mia's U11 team is also unbeaten this season (W5 D1) and hasn't conceded a goal since the first game. We got 2 goals in each half for a well deserved 4-0 win. We worked on a specific corner routine in training and we scored a goal from it today. Happy coach!! :)

And the icing on the early season cake is that my own old farts' O45 team is also unbeaten. We won yesterday 7-2 which was actually ultimately disappointing seeing as at half time we were 6-0 up and had missed a penalty.

Add to that Mia's Div.1 netball team smashed their opposition yesterday morning 35-7, and I'd say that's pretty much the perfect weekend of family sport!
JJ

Postby JJ » Wed May 24, 2017 7:13 am

Typical Palace, just as we looked set for a care-free summer, Allardyce decides to retire, and once again we snatch uncertainty from the jaws of stability. :(
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu May 25, 2017 1:14 am

That's bad news JJ, I was rather expecting Allardyce to stay at Palace. I'm not sure who, that's any good, is available. Wenger?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu May 25, 2017 10:12 am

SubHuman wrote:That's bad news JJ, I was rather expecting Allardyce to stay at Palace. I'm not sure who, that's any good, is available. Wenger?

What about Claude Puel as according to the local Southern Daily Echo an online poll of fans indicate that 68% want to see he leave Southampton. We just might have uncertainty over the summer as well, not just about the manager but also regarding the possibility of an 80% Chinese takeover.
sarah t

Previous

Return to General discussion