Top Telly

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby SubHuman » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Secret Army is being shown again on Alibi, for those who like forties nostalgia.
SubHuman

Postby Kevin Caywood » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:16 am

I'm not going to mention any American shows, but I want to say my family and I enjoy a classic from the UK. Keeping Up Appearances. It comes on Saturday evenings on one of our stations. Hyacinth, Richard, Rose, Daisy, Onslow, Elizabeth, Emmett, Daddy, The Vicar and his wife. Funny! Funny! Hyacinth always talks about Sheridan, Violet and Bruce. Well I finally saw Violet and Bruce, but no Sheridan. Does anyone else enjoy this? I'm sure it was filmed a while back.
Kevin Caywood

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:04 pm

SubHuman wrote:Secret Army is being shown again on Alibi, for those who like forties nostalgia.

That would do me except I already have, from years back, all three seasons of "Secret Army" (and the six part "Kessler" sequel series) on DVD, plus other series like "Enemy At The Door", "Manhunt", Wish Me Luck" and "Danger UXB" to name but a few!
:)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Kevin Caywood wrote:I'm not going to mention any American shows, but I want to say my family and I enjoy a classic from the UK. Keeping Up Appearances. It comes on Saturday evenings on one of our stations. Hyacinth, Richard, Rose, Daisy, Onslow, Elizabeth, Emmett, Daddy, The Vicar and his wife. Funny! Funny! Hyacinth always talks about Sheridan, Violet and Bruce. Well I finally saw Violet and Bruce, but no Sheridan. Does anyone else enjoy this? I'm sure it was filmed a while back.

Sorry Kevin I personally I think it's one of BBC's biggest sit-com mistakes and should be locked away in Room 101. I'd prefer watching "One Foot In The Grave", far better IMO!
sarah t

Postby Afront » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Do yourselves a favor and watch the brilliant new BBC sitcom Miranda instead.
Afront

Postby Pauline » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:29 pm

Miranda is BRILLIANT !! Every week without fail, i cry with laughter :lol:
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby RobC » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:58 am

Watched and enjoyed the second series of Misfits , almost laughed a lung up with Nathan and the afterbirth , it wipes its arse on all other UK shows . Surpassed in its greatness only by Dexter . Bored of the shit repeats that are littering my eyesight , Captain Shitehawk obviously did the planning .
RobC

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Enjoyed the first episode of Zen, it was a bit slow at the start but then speeded up with a car chase and the part in the caves which look very authentic, speaking as a former caver. Did anyone else watch this programme?
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:00 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Secret Army is being shown again on Alibi, for those who like forties nostalgia.

That would do me except I already have, from years back, all three seasons of "Secret Army" (and the six part "Kessler" sequel series) on DVD, plus other series like "Enemy At The Door", "Manhunt", Wish Me Luck" and "Danger UXB" to name but a few!

Where do you keep all these DVDs? I have a few series and they just take up a huge amount of room on my former bookracks.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:

Where do you keep all these DVDs? I have a few series and they just take up a huge amount of room on my former bookracks.

Yes I have shelves but I also have a lot of 'really useful' boxes spread around the flat.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:03 am

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:That would do me except I already have, from years back, all three seasons of "Secret Army" (and the six part "Kessler" sequel series) on DVD, plus other series like "Enemy At The Door", "Manhunt", Wish Me Luck" and "Danger UXB" to name but a few!

Yes I have shelves but I also have a lot of 'really useful' boxes spread around the flat.

My tidy wife wouldn't have boxes spread around the house, they would have to be in the attic, or the garage, and they are both already fully of other, really useful, junk that I can't bring myself to throw away!

I think the professor has the answer: ipod or mp3 player here I come.
SubHuman

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:22 pm

I'm annoyed I forgot Ricky Gervais was presenting the Golden Globes - some of his jokes are hilarious:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12205469
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby sarah t » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Usually their inventions are pathetic failures (remember the convertable people carrier) but last night on BBC2 the "Top Gear" lads came up with what I thought was a genius idea... use combine harvesters as snow ploughs.

Brilliant! Shame they didn't come up with this late November 2010 when, in the UK, we certainly could have used it!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:51 am

sarah t wrote:Usually their inventions are pathetic failures (remember the convertable people carrier) but last night on BBC2 the "Top Gear" lads came up with what I thought was a genius idea... use combine harvesters as snow ploughs.

Brilliant! Shame they didn't come up with this late November 2010 when, in the UK, we certainly could have used it!

Combine harvesters are not designed as snow ploughs and almost certainly they wouldn't be reliable as such, although they may work for a short time. Still it was a nice try.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Really enjoying the updated Sci Fi series 'V', was watching episode six of the second season and it took my breath away for so much drama, loss of life and a shifting in character dynamics. Great to see Jane Badler as Diane (from the 80s original series) but disappointed that she is stuck in the bowels of the mothership.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Jeremy Clarkson made what I thought was an amusing comment for his introduction of current Doctor Who actor Matt Smith (on the show as the 'star in a reasonably priced car') saying that he must have time travelled back to the eighties and returned with Phil Oakey's hairstyle. Personally I thought he looked more like early 80s Jim Kerr particularly with the way that he seemed to constantly brushing out of his eyes whilst talking to Jeremy. Incidentally Matt put up a surprisingly good time in the Kia
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:05 pm

Bit of a fan of 'The Prisoner' TV series and was surprised to find this coming up in August...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Laughing-Prisoner-Jools-Holland/dp/B0081PR2M0/ref=pd_rhf_pe_shvl2

I've got a vague memory of this which I recall is a good Prisoner spoof with some great music from Siouxsie & the Bandshees. Glad it's dirt cheap as it's only 50mins long with no extras, still worth getting I think!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:02 pm

I expect you're all to young to remember this tv series, but yesterday, in Wikipedia, I came across The Adventures of Hiram Holiday, a comedy/adventure series that I fondly remember from when I was a child. Originally an NBC show the complete series was shown on BBC in 1960/61. It's a bit like a spoof James Bond with the american actor Wally Cox playing a wimpy bank manager type who goes around the world as a secret super hero righting wrongs etc.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Now well into the four disc DVD box set of 'Jewel In The Crown' and for me it seems a rather uneven series. Some episodes (1,2,3,4,7,8) I have found really dull but then it confounds my expectations by knocking in totally stunning installments like 5,6,9 & 10, the last couple I watched last night. It is certainly an incredible cast and some of the narratives (Merrick's loss of his left arm and the fate of elderly lady Barbie) are quite harrowing/disturbing and although a little jarring the archive black and white news reports the occasionally crop up are useful and informative additions reminding the viewer of the larger political situation in the region. Not as much location filming of India as I was expecting, some certainly look like they were filmed (as I'm sure they were) in the UK. Haven't found the commentaries (episode one and episode four) particularly insightful and entertaining despite the first one being moderated by Carry On film historian Robert Ross. Looking forward with interest to the last four episodes over the next couple of Thursday evenings!
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:05 am

Zen is back on alibi at the mo.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Just been watching the Agnetha programme which I recorded, great to hear she's singing again. Not sure if I'll buy an album with so many ballads, maybe I'll get a few downloads.
SubHuman

Re: Top Telly

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:01 am

Been watching the recent re-runs of Miranda, they're still brilliant.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:27 am

enjoying the current 'new' series of 'Top Gear'. Amazed by what they think up like the Transit van that changes into a hovercraft. So great I watched it both on the Sunday evening and the repeat on Wednesday. Loved it when the first attempt sunk straight away. Second attempt although successful too much power, too much spray, too small a petrol tank but although rather inpractical I guess it would be great for emergency services
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:53 am

I keep hoping that one of the re-play channels starts repeating The X-Files. I really enjoyed this series the first time around but it hasn't featured recently.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:05 pm

Really got into watching 'The Hotel Inspector' (Channel 5/Five*/Home) and the American equivalent 'Hotel Impossible' (Travel Channel). Both Alex Polizzi and Anthony Melchiorri make for appealing hosts using their considerable experience to getting to grips with the problems they find and turning around failing businesses.
sarah t

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion