Top Telly

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby Afront » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Still on the halloween theme, I have high hopes for Charlie Brooker's Dead Set:

http://www.e4.com/deadset

It's a zombie horror / thriller / black comedy set in the Big Brother house. Debuts on E4 this autumn.
Afront

Postby Boiled Being » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:25 pm

Britain's Got The Pop Factor And Possibly A New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly On Ice.
What an absolute hoot. Wonder if I can get a copy of 'R Whean' doing 'My Winner's Song' from out of the bin.
Gutted for '2up/2down', the Rick Astley scene should've swung it :D

Really looking forward to 'Dead Set', as I loathe BB with a passion, should be great.
Last edited by Boiled Being on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAM! . . . . You've gotta get some!
Boiled Being

Postby Pauline » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:06 pm

GUTTED that i missed that :( I've been away for the weekend and forgot to record it goddammmmmittt :mad: If anyone notices it being repeated, please let me know !
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby Boiled Being » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm sure it will be repeated at some point.
Would you believe it Geraldine's (poshumous) version of the winning song was being played on the radio this morning.
Wouldn't it be hilarious if it actually did get to no.1 ;)
JAM! . . . . You've gotta get some!
Boiled Being

Postby cs15 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:26 pm

I though it was fantastic last night. He takes the piss brilliantly. Poor R Gran though. :lol:

Fair play to the judging panel for taking part. I missed the last bit though from the time that R Wayne got voted off. :(

Geraldine doing C'est La Vie by B*Witched was a sight to behold. Brilliant.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Now they're bringing back Bagpuss!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7688458.stm
ToyotaCityBoy

Postby cs15 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Forget Bagpuss! They *might* be bringing back Ivor The Engine!!! Whoo Hoo.
cs15

Postby ToyotaCityBoy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:06 pm

ToyotaCityBoy

Postby cs15 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:48 pm

:lol: Once he's not a Virgin train then we're ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWk0BCeblQ
Last edited by cs15 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
cs15

Postby cs15 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:08 am

cs15

Postby Afront » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:14 am

Afront wrote:Still on the halloween theme, I have high hopes for Charlie Brooker's Dead Set

This has been bloody good - a tense apocalyptic drama with classic Who-like episode cliffhangers, and Davina makes an excellent zombie!

Catch up at:
http://www.channel4.com/video/brandless-catchup.jsp?vodBrand=dead-set
Last edited by Afront on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Afront

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:30 pm

Pleasantly surprised to see a new series of "Top Gear" tomorrow evening on BBC2 at 8pm... should be amusing!
sarah t

Postby Pauline » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:02 pm

Afront wrote:This has been bloody good - a tense apocalyptic drama with classic Who-like episode cliffhangers, and Davina makes an excellent zombie!

Yeah, i really really enjoyed this !!

Zombies ain't my kinda horror, but i think with the BB familiarity and stuff, i really got into it. Great show :D
Pauline

Postby Afront » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:34 pm

Afront wrote:Merlin might be OK for some family fun, but for serious supernaturalisms I was more looking forward to Apparitions - the forthcoming BBC series from Joe Ahearne (Dr. Who director and writer of the frankly brilliant vampire mini-series Ultraviolet).

http://www.sfx.co.uk/resources/sfx/191207apparitions1.jpg

This finally starts this week: Thursday 13th Nov, BBC1/BBC HD at 9pm.

The beeb's remake of Terry Nation's "The Survivors" is also due this month, and Mark Gatiss' sci-fi comedy "Clone" with Jonathan Pryce starts next Monday on BBC3.

Looks like we're finally getting some decent home-grown sci-fi and genre drama again.
Afront

Postby sarah t » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:19 am

the revamped "Survivors" kicks off with a 'feature length' 90 min offering on Sunday 23rd November on BBC1 at 9.00pm... have to say I'm a little apprehensive since I'm familiar with the original but I'm sure it will be great for a 21st century audience... oh yeah at the BBC mini site is now up and running... http://www.bbc.co.uk/survivors/
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:52 am

So after last nights 90 min opener anyone got any thoughts?

Firstly disappointed that where the virus came from wasn't explained like it was in the original series opening titles.

Secondly and most glaringly was the sequence where Abby uses her red Alfa to break through the glass doors of the Hospital A&E. You'd expect considerable damage inflicted to the car but astonishingly in the next shot on the duel carriageway her car is still in pristene immaculate condition. Hello! This is someone whom watched 'Transporter 2' on Saturday morning and lead character Jack in that flim crashed a Mercedes Benz through a garage door with considerable damage to his car in the next shot.

Also at Peter's school a bit disappointed that the remaining teacher was not wearing a battery powered hearing aid like the original, a good example of how fragile suviving in the post diesase world would be.

Also I didn't really notice what criminal Tom Price pulled from his pocket to kill/knock out the guard... anyone see what this was???

Other than these small points it was by an large an entirely enjoyable viewing experience with many deft touches to the 70s original (Abby looking up in the midst of a deserted street saying 'Oh god please let me not be the only one!'
Last edited by sarah t on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Pleasantly surprised to see Jimmy Nail crop up last night in BBC1's new Friday night sit com "Parents of the Band"... not particularly funny but certainly a pleasant enough way to spend a half hour.

Series has it's own mini site http://www.bbc.co.uk/parentsoftheband/ where you can see Phil Parker's (Jimmy's character) music video for 80s pop single 'I Cry', sounds pretty good, I'd certainly buy it.

Interesting to note that the theme tune to this series is co-written by Nail and one Gary Kemp, the songwriting Spandau Ballet band member.

NB: If I may, thought I'd add that I've been offering up some thoughts about Jimmy's early 90s cop show, first season 'Spender' http://www.tvgold.co.uk/spender-season-one-thoughts-t616.html which I'm currently enjoying at present.
sarah t

Postby Pauline » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:00 pm

I was looking forward to that, but didn't enjoy it at all. Ho hum.

I'm currently watching Noddy Holders official Top 40 Christmas Songs on TMF :P
Last edited by Pauline on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauline

Postby PDC » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:47 pm

Pauline wrote:I was looking forward to that, but didn't enjoy it at all. Ho hum.

I'm currently watching Noddy Holders official Top 40 Christmas Songs on TMF :P

We watched that when we got in at midnight this morning, having been out for steak for a cow that was fed beer, and massaged whilst listening to music! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef)
PDC

Postby Pauline » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:25 am

Im rooting for David Van Day of Dollar in this years' *I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!*.

I'm not actually watching the series this year because the line-up was uber-crap (he came in after a few days) but i've caught wee bits and bobs.

By all accounts, yeah he's a bit of a numpty, but apparantly he's the entertainment this year heheheh. Besides, he's an 80s popstar who i used to have a huge crush on - he gets my vote anyday !
Pauline

Postby cs15 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:42 pm

Pauline you NEED to watch it to see how much of a prick the guy really is. David Van Dickhead!
cs15

Postby aapierre » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:05 pm

sarah t wrote:the revamped "Survivors" kicks off with a 'feature length' 90 min offering on Sunday 23rd November on BBC1 at 9.00pm... have to say I'm a little apprehensive since I'm familiar with the original but I'm sure it will be great for a 21st century audience... oh yeah at the BBC mini site is now up and running... http://www.bbc.co.uk/survivors/

I've been watching and I think it is a little bit of a good show with a lot of innacuracies.

I've just planned a protocol for what we [health centre] would do in a flu pandemic and in that we have to plan for the effects of a 3 wave attack which would reduce the UK population to 8 million in a full blown pandemic.

This show puts that figure at approx 6 million in one fell swoop [90% dead] but we have seen less than 50 people in 3 episodes.

I know that it is a tv program with the intention of entertaining us but a city of manchester would have more than that many people around.

It has been good to see the producers take on life that basically we are all wankers who would go on the murder and rob just to get some alcohol and have our very own moll.
I've never been to me
aapierre

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:07 am

Biggest TV success of the year for me has got to be "Ashes to Ashes" which I have recently, finally got my hands on the DVD release, only six months after it was released but fairly typical for me at present :(
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:12 pm

Regarding Season Two of 'Ashes To Ashes', thought you guys might be interested to hear, over on the 'Doctor Who Forum' someone mentioned about details of an interview she'd seen, the thread posting went something like this...

Here is an interview between Ashes to Ashes producer Beth Willis, telling us more about Series 2 (and beyond!). The whole interview can be found under the main points of the interview here:

MAIN POINTS OF THE INTERVIEW (scroll down for whole interview):

-It is now 1982, and Alex shows her uncertainty of why she is still trapped.

-In episode 1, she gets news which alters her view of what's going on in 2008 and what's happened to her. And she also gets some news in 1982 which makes her think this world is not as straightforward as she thought it was.

-This series is more darker. There is more corruption within Gene's world.

-'Supermac' is Gene's new boss.

-Talk of Sam Tyler crops up a couple of times

-A CHARACTER from Life On Mars RETURNS at some point in the series

-There is a bigger picture in Series 2 that COULD be explored in a Third Series.

-Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharaoh have ideas of Series 3 and is possibly commissioned.

Sadly couldn't find the source of this interview but sounds interesting whenever Season Two will be hitting our screens during early 2009!

I'll just add this page that I've just found... http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a137990/2009-tv-preview-ashes-to-ashes-2.html
:)
Last edited by sarah t on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sarah t

Postby DJ Ian Aitch » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:25 am

I went to the BFI last night to see episode one of Being Human. If you saw and liked the pilot you should love the series. They've made changes, two of the leads have been re-cast but it's all been for the better.

It's funnier, but still gory and sexy too.

And I got to meet Russell Tovey :cool: who was even more gorgeous in real life.
Ian
DJ Ian Aitch

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion