Books - what are you reading at the moment?

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby JJ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:48 am

Yes, I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I'll read it again at some point when I've caught up. Brutal in places, but as you say also very moving. There's a real heavy air of grey and sadness over the whole thing.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:29 am

sarah t

Postby mikeypblueremix » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:31 pm

So they've paid you to take the book out - very generous of them!
Mikey P - bringing everything down to his level since November 2006 :P
mikeypblueremix

Postby Only Human » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:18 pm

If I Was by Midge Ure, my brother picked it up for me for about a quid. its very good.
Only Human

Postby JJ » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:49 pm

Just finished A Short History Of Tractors In Ukrainian. It was ok, mildly amusing, but definitely one for the girls I think.

Now just started The Five People You Meet In Heaven - enjoying it very much so far, very good!
JJ

Postby JJ » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:46 am

Finished The Five People You Meet In Heaven after a few days - very good!

Having read The Road by Cormac McCarthy earlier this eyar, and thinking how really good it was, I'm now reading Blood Meridian by him. It is much heavier going, and even more brutal than The Road. I'll persevere but it'll take a lot longer than the last one to get through. You feel like you really have to concentrate on every word and almost work it out for yourself. This isn't helped by his refusal to use speech marks, so again you have to work out who is saying what, and when the speech has ended and reverted to narrative.
JJ

Postby sarah t » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Looking for something new to read???

May I suggest that this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Top-Pops-Mishaps-Miming-Music/dp/1846073278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198326458&sr=1-1 might be worth having if you're a fan of the iconic BBC1 music show.

I was flicking briefly through a copy in WHSmith this morning (but haven't myself nabbed a copy!) and I guess the pages of most interest fall around pages 92 - 97. Aside from pics of Depeche Mode, OMD and Duran Duran to name but three this chapter covering the 'new romantic' period makes a passing reference to the Human League and Phil's lopsided haircut.
sarah t

Postby cs15 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:09 am

Has anyone got this?

You can read more about it here: http://www.lulu.com/content/1388318

Looks very interesting.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby dominion MKII » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:03 am

Doctor Who- Ten Little Aliens. Am working my way through the classic series novels but the collection keeps growing....
The Circus Will Never Be Stopped.....
dominion MKII

Postby sarah t » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:37 pm

I was surprised to find a prestine copy of the Sebastian Faulks 'Deveil May Care' 2008 hardback James Bond novel as a donation in the Oxfam Bookshop.

I'm about a third of a way through it and one thing of note is that I'm puzzled that a whole chapter (5. Not Cricket) is given over to Bond playing Gorner at tennis.

Other than that it seems like a pretty good good so far...
sarah t

Postby Danny C » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:46 pm

sarah t wrote:I was surprised to find a prestine copy of the Sebastian Faulks 'Deveil May Care' 2008 hardback James Bond novel as a donation in the Oxfam Bookshop.

Don't be surprised, a ton of them were remaindered earlier this year, Poundland had loads.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:10 pm

I'd run out of books to read recently, so bought 4 yesterday: Under the Doem by Stephen King, A Perfect Spy by John Le Carre (I've never read one of his so thought I ought to try one out), yet another copy of Dracula by Bram Stoker (probably my second favourite book of all time) and the one I've started on first is The Hunt For Red October by Tom Clancy (I bought this for the same reason as for Le Carre.)
JJ

Postby Tycho » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:50 am

I'm about to track down the 3rd book in the "Astropolis" series by Sean Williams, which features a character called "Render" that only speaks in Gary Numan lyrics (not kidding). Excellent *innovative* Sci-Fi for grown ups. He's also written a few Star Wars novels and a bunch of other sci-fi/ fantasy books. (He's a friend of mine but don't let that put you off ;-)
Tycho

Postby Afront » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Tycho wrote:I'm about to track down the 3rd book in the "Astropolis" series by Sean Williams, which features a character called "Render" that only speaks in Gary Numan lyrics (not kidding). Excellent *innovative* Sci-Fi for grown ups. He's also written a few Star Wars novels and a bunch of other sci-fi/ fantasy books. (He's a friend of mine but don't let that put you off ;-)

Doesn't put me off at all - sounds like just my kind of book! Will go back to Saturn Returns to start at the beginning...

I've just finished Alastair Reynold's newest, Terminal World. Although I really enjoyed it in the end he had me worried for a while: after a decade of excellent hard SF/space opera, this one is set on a far future Earth where technology is either lacking or indistinguishable from magic. The steampunk dirigible on the cover is a clue, but it took me a while to get my bearings and realize that he hadn't gone all mystical and fantasy after all. I blogged a wee bit more about this (and my other favourites of 2009) at:

http://pansentient.com/2009/12/my-top-10-favourite-books-of-the-year/
Afront

Postby MTBLeague » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Wating to finish a rubbish spy one, so I can read the Latest/Last Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, unfortunatly not by Douglas Adams I hope it's written in the right "spirit" :)

Keep forgetting to get the last Ian M. Banks one Matter, read all the others.
The path of Least resistance....is easier if things are connected!
MTBLeague

Postby Bruce » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:18 pm

hey guys......
i am reading Harry Potter........it is my all time most favorite
it such a out standing series....
i am great fan of it.....
*spam link removed by moderator*
Bruce

Postby robgrillo » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:49 pm

I'm re-reading Charlie Connelly's 'and did those feet'.
The guy is a genius. He's the one who wrote the one about travelling thru every one of the weather forecast areas (dogger bank et al) and recently did 'in search of elvis', where he met Elvis fans around the world. I'm not a big Elvis fan but the book was still utterly enjoyable...just like 'and did those feet'.
www.robgrillo.co.uk
'Is That The 12" Mix?'
Many thanks to all who have ordered so far
robgrillo

Postby jaymze » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:12 pm

I'm reading Lemmy's autobio just now (bassist and growlist/vocalist from Motorhead) -its good stuff, he's a funny chap.
"Well hello Glasgow! -you're all in a good mood tonight, aren't you? Bloody Hell, whatever they put in the water here they aught to put in Sheffield as well!....." - Susanne Sulley 2006
jaymze

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Reading "The Devil Rides Out" by Dennis Wheatley. I always read this book around Christmas time as well as something about magic by Charles Williams or Algernon Blackwood.
SubHuman

Postby giveitago » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 am

Well I'm a bit of a geek, so at the moment I'm re-reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy :D
Last edited by giveitago on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
giveitago

Postby JJ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm in the middle of a massive reading phase, getting through books like there's no tomorrow at the moment. Currently just over halfway through Under The Dome by Stephen King - pretty good, but not up to The Stand or even Salem's Lot at the moment. But a few weeks ago I finished The Passage by Justin Cronin. Bloody hell, a MAGNIFICENT book, totally brilliant ending, just one single word in the very last paragraph turned the end into a real Wow! shocker-moment.
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:24 pm

JJ, massive reading phase, sounds like a desert of live electropop to me?
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:54 pm

I have a 40 minute train journey each way to work, and sometimes I'm in reading phase, else it's an ipod phase. Right now it's reading.
JJ

Postby Afront » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:50 pm

JJ wrote:a few weeks ago I finished The Passage by Justin Cronin

I've been tempted to get stuck into that for a while now, but it's such a massive book I don't know if I can make the commitment. I've read nothing but good things about it though, so all I need is a nice month-long bout of man flu to give me the time to like in bed all day and read it.
Afront

Postby SubHuman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:20 am

Reading "The Girl of His Dreams" by Donna Leon at the moment. It's a detective novel written in a superior literary style and set in Venice. Many will find it too slow but it has a certain charm with some wry humour.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion