Books - what are you reading at the moment?

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Books - what are you reading at the moment?

Postby JJ » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:40 pm

I've just started The Road by Cormac McCarthy. I'm 17 pages i nand alreeady really liking it. It's the first book of his that I've read, and only bought it because it's a post-apocalyptic novel (I like them).

I've just given up on A Canticle For Liebowitz by Walter Miller. I was halfway through and really bored by it.

You?
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby tall tall tall » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:32 pm

The Road is 4th in the pile next to me bed. So I'll get to it soon!

Currently:
Zadie Smith's White Teeth - been on the shelf for years and only just got round to reading it. Better than I thought it would be.

Recently:
Julian Barnes' Arthur & George - 8/10, a true story of shenanigans involving institutional racism, Conan Doyle and animal mutilation in 19th century Stafford.
Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - 7/10, disappointing ending
Diarmaid MacCulloch's Reformation: Europe's House Divided - 7/10, bloody hard going and took me weeks (he writes so monotonously); depressingly tells of the religious wars of old that are no different than today's - will we ever learn?
Philip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy - 9/10, best read since Narnia and, unlike CS Lewis, joyously anti-religious
Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Shadow Of The Wind - 7/10 spooky stuff in Barcelona
Dan Brown's Angels & Demons - 7/10, he writes like a 15 year old but they're cracking tales
Richard Dawkin's The God Delusion - 9.5/10, I'm no longer an agnostic, now a 100% atheist
John Boyne's Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 7.5/10, simple child's-eye story with a sinister end
Steven
Better get back to the oracle...
tall tall tall

Postby decophile » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Most recently I delved into When I Was A German: An Englishwoman in Nazi Germany by Christabel Bielenberg.

This fascinating glimpse of Nazi Germany is provided by an Englishwoman who was fluent in German and at home in German society, yet not entirely of it. Christabel Bielenberg moved from passive to active resistance as Hitler seized power and the Nazi dictatorship clamped down.
Last edited by decophile on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decophile

Postby Afront » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:16 pm

JJ wrote:I've just started The Road by Cormac McCarthy

This is on my to-read list - I've heard plenty good things about it.

I'm currently reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie: I haven't read much fantasy for years, but a new breed of gritty, gothic, adult fantasy writers have emerged recently - China Mieville, Alan Campbell, Scott Lynch - and Joe Abercrombie seems to be up there with them; I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far.

Before that, I read a historical graphic novel called Stagger Lee which I wasn't sure about at first but ended up rather enjoying. I never knew there were so many different versions of the song - hundreds!
Afront

Postby cs15 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:46 pm

Just finished The Boy In The Stripped Pyjamas and really liked it.

Currently reading Adam Ant's Stand & Deliver and really enjoying it.

Favourite book I read so far this year was 'Just William' Kenneth Williams autobiography.

Next book on the list to read is Kenneth Williams - A Biography by Michael Freedland.
If you were a diamond, I wouldn't want you now.
cs15

Postby Girls on Phil » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:07 pm

Picked up a copy of "Morrissey + Marr - The Severed Alliance" at a car boot for 50p yesterday, so have just started reading that.....
Girls on Phil

Postby Electric Dream » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:44 pm

Currently reading Russell Brands autobiography :)
Electric Dream

Postby Girls on Phil » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:08 pm

Electric Dream wrote:Currently reading Russell Brands autobiography :)

Bet that's interesting reading, did weird stuff happen to him as a child? Always wondered how he developed his manic persona :)
Girls on Phil

Postby mikeypblueremix » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:27 am

Not reading anything at the moment, I have a favourite author - Michael Slade, writes psychological crime horror thrillers, but they only come out every two years and once bought, I read them voraciously fast as they're so bloody good (IMO, anyway).

Another one who I quite liked was Damian Langan, his novel 'Stretch, 29' is laugh-out loud funny (I did in WHSmith when I was flicking through it).

:)
Mikey P - bringing everything down to his level since November 2006 :P
mikeypblueremix

Postby grace » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:38 am

Im reading:

The Children of Hurin
and
Hugh Corwall's Auto Biography

Just finished re reading
Stand and Deliver

Waiting for
Last Harry Potter to come out...
Last edited by grace on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
grace

Postby JJ » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:18 am

Afront wrote:
JJ wrote:I've just started The Road by Cormac McCarthy

This is on my to-read list - I've heard plenty good things about it.

I'm two thirds of the way through now, and it is fantastic - I can't wait to get on the train in the evening to read more.
JJ

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:47 pm

Girls on Phil wrote:

Bet that's interesting reading, did weird stuff happen to him as a child? Always wondered how he developed his manic persona :)

It's not written by him, or by anyone close to him so nothing too personal in there (yet) I'd love him to write his own one. Maybe by the time he does, I'll be in it ;)
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Electric Dream wrote:It's not written by him, or by anyone close to him so nothing too personal in there (yet)

Sorry to point out the obvious here...

If he didn't write it, then it isn't his autobiography! :P
JJ

Postby Electric Dream » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:00 pm

OCH! Biography then :rolleyes:
Electric Dream

Postby JJ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:33 am

I've now finished The Road - totally outstanding, and a brilliant ending!! It's definitely in my top 10 books now I think.

My all-time list is still topped by The Stand by Stephen King, however - the most wonderful, gripping and ultimately uplifting book I've ever read.
JJ

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:03 am

I'm reading "Battle of the Atlantic" by Andrew Williams - was also made into a BBC documentary, I think.

I can't seem to ditch the WWII themed books. All the major- and individual stories still fascinates me.
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby Electric Dream » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:25 am

My favourite book is Flowers In The Attic (Virginia Andrews)
Electric Dream

Postby decophile » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:16 am

Stig Olsen wrote:I'm reading "Battle of the Atlantic" by Andrew Williams - was also made into a BBC documentary, I think.

I can't seem to ditch the WWII themed books. All the major- and individual stories still fascinates me.

Yes, it is all terribly interesting.

I was just listing for someone my fave WWII-themed films ~

Dark Blue World
The Remains of the Day
Judgment at Nuremberg
The Best Years of Our Lives
Casablanca (of course)
Life is Beautiful
Das Boot
The Wannsee Conference

Also like Schindler's List. Downfall. That early 1970s British documentary-style film about the soldier who gets killed (can't recall the name of it, alas).

Didn't see Saving Private Ryan.
decophile

Postby Boiled Being » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:12 pm

Just finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' by Philip K Dick - later to become 'Bladerunner'
Now on 'Time's Eye' by Arthur C Clarke and Stephen Baxter
As you can gather, I'm into Sci-Fi
Last edited by Boiled Being on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAM! . . . . You've gotta get some!
Boiled Being

Postby decophile » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Boiled Being wrote:Just finished 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?' by Philip K Dick - later to become 'Bladerunner'

I tried to start reading that this winter but found it too depressing starting @ page one. At that moment I wasn't in the mood for a depressing book.
Last edited by decophile on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decophile

Postby JJ » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:35 pm

decophile wrote:Also like Schindler's List. Downfall. That early 1970s British documentary-style film about the soldier who gets killed (can't recall the name of it, alas).

Didn't see Saving Private Ryan.

I started a thread about The Downfall on the Depeche Mode forum. It's THE best non-English language film I've ever seen. Bruno Ganz is simply magnificent as Hitler.

You should see SPR - it's a harrowing but uplifting film. Especially if you have surround sound.

But this is about books not films...

Anyone like Anne Rice? I've read all the vampire ones, all the Mayfair Witches ones, and most of the others. I think she's really great.
JJ

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:29 pm

Totally agree about Bruno Ganz- really scary how well he portraits Hitler.

I've just finished the 4-book edition of "Rise and Fall of the third Reich" - every bloody detail, debate, memo, meeting, attack, plan, speeches, conference reports, transcripts, dates, specifications, numbers etc. are in those books by William L. Shirer, who was a reporter during the war - I loved every single page of it.

Of ww2 related film material, I haven't seen anything better than "Band of Brothers". Looking forward to BOB 2" :D http://imdb.com/title/tt0374463/
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby decophile » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:00 pm

Band of Brothers is quite good, but I've not seen it in its entirety.

Anne Rice-- her vampire novels are brilliant; she's an enviable writer. I especially like The Vampire Lestat. It's been a long time since I read the books, but I remember thinking they were somewhat Randian...as in Ayn Rand. (And, seeing as how I am an Objectivist, I thought this was a good thing.)
Last edited by decophile on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decophile

Postby kraftwerkdave » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:08 pm

This week I have mostly been reading Them: Adventures With Extremists and The Men Who Stare At Goats, both by Jon Ronson.

I've also been re-reading Maggie - Her Fatal Legacy by John Sergent.

I'm not as dumb as I look y'know :P
Arseing about on the internet since 1995...
kraftwerkdave

Postby Boiled Being » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:52 pm

decophile wrote:I tried to start reading that this winter but found it too depressing starting @ page one. At that moment I wasn't in the mood for a depressing book.

Yeah, it's not too jolly. But interesting if you love the film (as I do) - there's some big differences.
That said, the same was true of Frank Herbert's Dune - which I read on-and-off quite a lot. Some books are just too complex to be filmed exactly.
Last edited by Boiled Being on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAM! . . . . You've gotta get some!
Boiled Being

Next

Return to General discussion