Computer/Internet related subjects

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Computer/Internet related subjects

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:57 am

Thought there should be a place for geeky IT stuff/info.

I've just found this valuable website with free software, of which I use quite a few. I know there's others like tucows etc, but this one sums them up nicely:

3D Graphics, Anti-Spam, DVD Players, DVD Rippers, Encryption, Explorer Front Ends, Operating Systems, Bootable OS, Partition managers, PDF Utilities, photo manipulation, pop-up blockers and much more!
http://freeware.startingiseasy.com/
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby mikeypblueremix » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:37 am

Is there anywhere that makes Windows less crap? :)
Mikey P - bringing everything down to his level since November 2006 :P
mikeypblueremix

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:28 am

Was going to suggest installing Vista, but you said less crap......
I'm The Sex Fuhrer Baby I'm A Love Dictator
You're A Disco Reptile A Funky Alligator
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby Girls on Phil » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:43 am

mikeypblueremix wrote:Is there anywhere that makes Windows less crap? :)

Buy a Mac! :)
Girls on Phil

Postby RobC » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:07 pm

I think you need to have a Superiority Complex to have a Mac ? I think it says it on the box ;)

The only good thing about a Mac is that I don`t have one .
RobC

Postby mikeypblueremix » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:12 pm

On the Mac boxes I've seen it says

'CAUTION - CONTENTS MAY BE HOT'

Hang on, that was a Big Mac. Bugger.
mikeypblueremix

Postby tall tall tall » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:35 pm

Psychotroniclovecommando wrote:Was going to suggest installing Vista, but you said less crap......

I rather like Vista ... my lounge computer which acts a PVR has not had a single crash on it sinced Vista was installed a few months ago.
Steven
Better get back to the oracle...
tall tall tall

Postby Stig Olsen » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:16 pm

Well, I've runned XP since it came out, and I haven't had one crash either - and it's being put to the test on a daily basis with loads of heavy graphic software and online gaming (yes, I'm that young).

Vista is a resource hungry bastard, and all you get is a fancy multimedia interface with a nice graphic look....sort of like when you put makeup on a dead person.

I'm sure I'll have it installed with my next PC, but as of now, it's a no-go! The new Office 2007 is quite nice, though, and I'm currently testing Microsoft's Expression Web.
Stig Olsen

Postby tall tall tall » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:46 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:....sort of like when you put makeup on a dead person.

How does your mind work Stig?
Steven
Better get back to the oracle...
tall tall tall

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:44 am

No crashes! wow!
Must say I was very tempted to update to Vista but its seems from what I've read that unless you get the top version theres not a lot to gain.
A few people I know with Vista have had problems such as DVD drives going missing but MS have sorted that with a patch apparently, I probably will upgrade to Vista at some point once the few minor bugs have been sorted.

I run XP at the mo and it started to crash quite a lot at the back end of last year, probably my fault for trying to run a million programs at once. A rebuild at Xmas, dual core processor etc, has sorted that out tho.
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby mikeypblueremix » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:43 am

I run XP on both my home and work computers and it's not bad, have had crashes on the home PC after installing IE7, which required a complete virus sweep, total deletion of IE7 and everywhere that the stinking piece of software touched. Sent an invoice to Microsoft Head Office asking them to pay me for testing out their software after it had been released, have never heard back...if that Bill Gates comes round our way he's gonna get beatin's :(
mikeypblueremix

Postby Psychotroniclovecommando » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:49 pm

mikeypblueremix wrote:if that Bill Gates comes round our way he's gonna get beatin's :(

Funny you should say that cos he was down my local pub the other night,
The Dog & Bollock, and never bought a round all night the tight git.

Personally I find IE to be rather shit, keeps telling me I'm offline when I am etc so I use Firefox and have done for a few years now, I find that pretty good.
Psychotroniclovecommando

Postby One Man » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Anyone know of any good software for converting DVD to Apple TV? I've looked about and found a few programs to download for about $30-35 but I'm interested to know if anyone uses one and is it good/easy to use. I'm bored of being conned into buying stuff again that I already own. Please don't have a go at me for buying an Apple TV - it was a present for him-in-doors. I looked at the link that Stig posted but can't see any DVD rippers/convertors. Any help is appreciated.

I use an intel Mac - I'm sure that makes a difference. Many thanks tech heads!
9/10
One Man

Postby Afront » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:36 am

Afront

Postby One Man » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at it and hope it's not too technical for me. Basically, I want to be able to take a DVD (HL Very Best Of, for example), turn it into a format that I can play on Apple TV and iPod. I already legally own the DVD so I grudge having to pay for it again just so I can watch it on those devices - I mean you pay enough for the hardware as it is - the cunning conts (or something like that).
9/10
One Man

Postby One Man » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 am

Afront - I looked through your link to Super software but it doesn't say anywhere that it can be used with a Mac. Just says can be used with most Windows. I'll keep hunting though and thanks for your advice.
9/10
One Man

Postby Afront » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:36 am

One Man wrote:Afront - I looked through your link to Super software but it doesn't say anywhere that it can be used with a Mac. Just says can be used with most Windows. I'll keep hunting though and thanks for your advice.

Oops sorry One Man, I didn't read to the end of your post - SUPER is Windows only I'm afraid.
Afront

Postby One Man » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Anyone else know of a user friendly program for converting DVD's so I can play them on Apple TV and iPod? Quite happy to pay for the software (there are so many around) but just don't want to pay for a shit one. Anyone got experience of one? Thanks
9/10
One Man

Postby StevieD » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:32 pm

errr super looks as if it will work as it has a selector for ipod and ipod 2.5 and it's free.
Whether it works is a different matter as I tend to go for more how do I say "Open" hardware that doesn't force me to buy from apple or force me to pay again if i loose/break the damm thing. eg creative labs

I am actually looking for something that works to convert from avi to windows smartphone 320 x 240 - I tried super but it wasn't - although this was only 1 avi i tried.
StevieD

Postby crowbaby » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:08 am

CHKDSK.... Can anyone offer assistance?
I want to defrag my PC, mainly because it just hasn't been done for sooooo long, however keep getting a message to say I need to run chkdsk /f first
So (after assistance from someone at work!) I work out I need to run chkdsk but all I get when I try that is a msg saying :
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

So I say "y" and have tried numerous restarts etc, but still get that msg. Any ideas?
We'll always be together...however far it seems...
crowbaby

Postby Stig Olsen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:52 pm

Karen, are you sure it doesn't do the chk during boot? - just to make sure, do what Microsoft suggest (providing you're on a XP OS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp
Last edited by Stig Olsen on Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stig Olsen

Postby crowbaby » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:15 am

thanks stig, but I seem to be going round in circles, everything points to the fact that I need to run chkdsk (on restart) but this never happens.. :/ I've tried to do it also via going in on the C drive, tools etc, but also get the same sort of msg saying unable to do it

is there anyway to force it to do a chkdsk on start up? I believe it never does it cos a) I keep getting msgs saying it needs to be done, and
b) it takes quite a few minutes to do a chkdsk doesn't it?

oh, and I was able to do a read only chkdsk , came up with a few errors, none of which I know what it means or how to fix, things such as deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 25. and Missing object id index entry or duplicate object id detected for file segment 97856 and 97955.....

ho-hum........... :(
We'll always be together...however far it seems...
crowbaby

Postby Pauline » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:48 pm

Last edited by Pauline on Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby Electric Dream » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:58 pm

Would you actually want to watch a film on a 2 inch screen though???? :/
Electric Dream

Postby Afront » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Afront

Next

Return to General discussion