Radio - what's your listening pleasure?...

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Radio - what's your listening pleasure?...

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Usually not much of a radio person however I've really seem to have latched on the each week listening to the Anneka Rice Saturday morning breakfast show on Radio 2 (6-8am).

Great chat, great features and great selection of music. Usually there's an 80s classic each week somewhere in the line-up.. Last week it was Madness with 'Our House' whilst this morning we had Tears For Fears with, IMO their greatest song 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World'. Over the past few weeks Anneka's been revisiting old TV series theme tunes with 'Follyfoot', 'Adventures of Black Beauty' and 'The Tomorrow People' cropping up.

I also enjoy the odd comedy on digital radio station BBC 4 extra, 'The Burkess Way' is a particular favourite.

I was wondering if you've got any favourite DJ's, radio stations and programs that you listen to either occasionally or regularly. If you listen to the BBC which would you prefer - Radio 2's Chris Evens or Radio 1's Nick Grimshaw on a weekday morning???

Anyone any thoughts???
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:25 pm

I thought it was a cracking good Anneka Rice breakfast show on Radio 2 this morning and the songs that I really enjoyed were...

Cher - Walking In Memphis
Pulp - Common People
Abba - Under Attack
Elvis Costello - Watching the Detectives (although I think Duran Duran did a better version)
ABC - When Smokey Sings

Great chat including listener participation with people phoning/emailing/texting their weirdest food combinations like smokey bacon and milk chocolate.

These two hours were a really enjoyable time for me after another stressful Doctors appointment with stronger anti-despressants perscribed and councilling being considered. To add to this it was a 5.10pm appointment which eventually became 6.10pm in addition to the half hour I was there beforehand makes for a very long time waiting around.
sarah t

Postby JJ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:10 am

I listen to the radio driving to and from the station morning / evening. But tbh the evening stuff is usually crap apart from on Friday.

In the morning I only get to hear the weather and a little bit of news. I hardly ever hear any music.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby bella9091 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:46 am

You'll get better updates from ED as i won't be watching full-time but i bet she will !
Bella
bella9091

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:11 pm

What? Personally I never listen to music on the radio anymore, unless by accident, it's so full of crap.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:48 am

@Dave - have no fear, I'm watching... ;)
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Big Brother?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:36 pm

Don't know how long it's been around but thumbing through the digital radio channels on SKY noticed channel 0200 offers 'Absolute80s' whom also have a website... http://www.absolute80s.com, IMO sounds like a great idea for a radio station!
:)
sarah t

Re: Radio - what's your listening pleasure?...

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 pm

I’m always surprised how swiftly the enjoyable two hours spent listening to Anneka Rice’s Saturday morning Radio 2 show passes, very fast paced with lots of chat about a variety of subjects and unusually a couple of fluffs (e.g. just before the 7.30am news bulletin Anneka said it was approaching 6.30am). It was another great show this morning with some pleasing dance worthy numbers (e.g. Jimmy Nail (‘Ain’t No Doubt’), Eurthymics (‘Right By Your Side’) and Pet Shop Boys (’Love Is A B construct’) rubbing shoulders with not too many ‘bum tracks’ (this week we had Frank Sinatra and Harry Secombe (‘If I Ruled The World’), the second song of these was part of the programs ‘What Do You Know It Came From A Show’… trying to convince people that musical show tunes are enjoyable). We’ve got a new feature, emphasing the family orientated feel of the show, offering a junior choice to younger listeners. This week following a variety of praiseworthy offerings it got a winning title of ‘Rice Cracker’ and it was certainly bizarre to hear ‘Puff The Magic Dragon’!

I enjoy the show so much that I’ve now taken to catching the last half hour of Richard Allinson’s three hour program. I find that he has a great dry sense of humour and I like ‘the Rich list’ where he asks listeners to call in offering their best suggestions on a given subject. This week it was on the subject of the most embarrassing photo you’ve had taken, something that fortunately I’ve never had happen to me, I usually avoid people snapping me with their cameras. The first song I heard Richard play this morning when I switched on today was “Blood Diamonds”, a new a pleasing song from Simple Minds featured on their recent 'Greatest Hits' package.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:59 am

The only time I listen to the radio these days is in the car. I sometimes listen in to radio 5 for news and sport and Jack FM if I'm in Bristol. I can't believe the rubbish they keep putting out on radios 1 and 2.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:04 pm

Radio this morning really raised my spirits this morning, love the two and a half hours spent in the company of Radio 2's Richard Allinson and Anneka Rice from 5.30am through to 8.00am and would like to say...

Kicking off this morning with the last half hour of Richard Allinson and thought it was a marvellous four tracks in a row to begin this Saturday. We had A-Ha (‘Hunting High and Low’), the new Paul McCartney song, Pet Shop Boys (‘Left To My Own Devices’ the third of this weeks ‘three of the best’ from a listener selected album) and the new Daft Punk song. I love it when in the last ten minutes Anneka Rice pops into the studio to talk with Richard and on this occasion they were chatting about a question she’d like listeners to call in… tattoos and what happens to them as you grow older.

Pushing beyond 6.00am and I vaguely remember the outrageous beehive of Mari Wilson with 80s track ‘Just What I Always Wanted’, a pleasant enough sort of track. Stepping up a gear after 6.30am news we had the IMO rocking ‘get up and go’ Blondie track ‘Maria’ and The Undertones ‘ My Perfect Cousin’.

I've got two radios, my main posh good volume one and a very cheap small one and that was the one I was using to explore 'up and down the dial' last night. Other than BBC Radio 5Live MW is a dead loss and going over to FM although there was good reception for Radio 2 it was rather boring. Poor quality for Radio 4 and local pop station Wave 105 but eventually spent almost an hour listening to 'Unity 101', the local community radio station. Although I had no idea what was being sung I found the Indian/Hindi pop tunes quite relaxing/soothing.

sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Don't know if anyone noticed by there is a new series called 'Sounds of the 80s' starting on Radio 2 tonight at 10.00pm fronted by Sara Cox the blurb of which goes like this...

Sara Cox is joined by Boy George for the first of a new series
Duration: 1 hour, 57 minutes
First broadcast:Saturday 05 October 2013Sara Cox with the best music from the 1980's. Sara's special guest for the first programme in this brand new series is non other than eighties icon Boy George who will be looking back at his career in that decade as well as the New Romantic movement. Plus there's a look back at the top 5 this week in 1985, 3 tracks from a classic 80's album and a classic 80's 12" single.

Might be worth listening to???
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:06 am

sarah t wrote:Don't know if anyone noticed by there is a new series called 'Sounds of the 80s' starting on Radio 2 tonight at 10.00pm fronted by Sara Cox the blurb of which goes like this...

First broadcast:Saturday 05 October 2013Sara Cox with the best music from the 1980's. Sara's special guest for the first programme in this brand new series is non other than eighties icon Boy George who will be looking back at his career in that decade as well as the New Romantic movement. Plus there's a look back at the top 5 this week in 1985, 3 tracks from a classic 80's album and a classic 80's 12" single.

Sarah did you listen? I'm debating whether or not to listen on Iplayer.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:Don't know if anyone noticed by there is a new series called 'Sounds of the 80s' starting on Radio 2 tonight at 10.00pm fronted by Sara Cox the blurb of which goes like this...

Sarah did you listen? I'm debating whether or not to listen on Iplayer.

Nope but having noticed it in the listings I thought it better to mention it on forum as I'm sure there are a few people here who might like to check it out.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Was listening to Absolute 80s last night on Digital Radio and was very impressed with a show called 'Forgotten 80s' where listeners can contact the show and recommend songs for them to play. Not only were there gems from Blancmange ('That's Love That It Is'), Dollar ('Hand Held In Black and White') and Fiction Factory ('Feels Like Heaven') but presenter Matthew Rudd had 'done his research' by presenting background information about the requested artist (e.g. chart history, release details etc), all very interesting and I think Sunday evenings will certainly become essential listening!
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:26 pm

Sarah, what time is it on? I could try to catch it on sky.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:24 am

SubHuman wrote:Sarah, what time is it on? I could try to catch it on sky.

I turned on the radio about 8.00pm on Sunday evening... seems like well worth catching each week!
;)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:46 am

sarah t wrote:

I turned on the radio about 8.00pm on Sunday evening... seems like well worth catching each week!
;)

I tried to find Absolute80 Radio on Sky but I could only find Absolute Radio and it wasn't the channel number their website said it was? Maybe I'll just have to wait until I get a DAB radio.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:14 am

SubHuman wrote:
sarah t wrote:

;)

I tried to find Absolute80 Radio on Sky but I could only find Absolute Radio and it wasn't the channel number their website said it was? Maybe I'll just have to wait until I get a DAB radio.

On SKY TV it is channel '0200'... are you getting closer to nabbing a DAB radio they are truly a wonderful thing... makes feel so much better every time I turn it on! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Another great 'Forgotten 80s' on Absolute 80s DAB radio last night. Caught the second hour (apparently it is 7.00 - 9.00pm on Sunday evenings) and was surprised and delighted to hear songs from Soft Cell ('Numbers'), Japan ('Ghosts'), Siouxsie and the Bandshees ('Wheels On Fire'), Spandau Ballet ('The Freeze') and A-ha ('Stay On These Roads'), not the usual choices from these groups you'd expect from other radio stations. Not only was there more amazing research from Matthew Rudd (particularly about an obscure South African band whom just failed to make the top 40 with their single/album during the mid 80s) but it was interesting to hear him venture the opinion that Spand's first album 'Journeys To Glory' is the one that has aged the best of their six, surprising but maybe he could be right about that.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:07 pm

Loved hearing Wang Chung ('Dance Hall Days') and Kajagoogoo ('Big Apple') on last nights 'Forgotten 80s' on Absolute 80s DAB radio.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:36 pm

I approached Anneka’s Radio 2 breakfast show this morning with an unusual sense of trepidation given that last Saturday had for me been rather disappointing with forgettable songs and lacklustre chat.

However I thought this morning was truly excellent with music and chat that left me feeling extremely upbeat, happy and confident about life in general, something I haven’t felt in quite a while.

Of course with such a family orientated theme you are going to get a wide range of music on offer catering to various tastes but the majority of what was on offer really connected with me emotionally. Great way to kick off proceedings with Talk Talk (‘It’s My Life’) and a few tracks later we had Electronic (‘Getting Away With It’, a song that usually grates on my nerves as it seems rather sickly, syrupy and sticks in your head for ages whether you like it or not) but today I happily sung and danced along with it. Apart from Starship (‘We Built This City On Rock and Roll’) I also liked a track from Thin Lizzy and a rather quirky cover of Beatles classic ‘Twist and Shake’ (I like the ‘fab four’ from Liverpool, IMO they’ve done quite a lot of great stuff which for me stands up very well) plus other songs the relevant title and artist concerned eludes me.

Main topics of conversation this morning were the rather surreal trifles and puppies. The former because Anneka has been watching food programs regarding all aspects of trifle making and so engrossed in this our DJ put on wellington boots, dressing gown and coat over her pyjamas and headed out late night across town to her local supermarket buy trifles and return to watching the TV program that had so enthused her!

Being very much a dog person Anneka was delighted to hear fairly early in the program from an eleven-year-old girl whom was about to go on a three hour trip to go and collect a cross breed puppy (I didn’t note the variety of breeds but there was a bit of poodle in there). Not only did we learn of a same aged friend making an identical but separate trip to the same place for the same purpose but the youngster phoned the show in the last half hour. Personally I thought this was a delightful, heart-warming tale.

Keeping the youngster theme today’s ‘Rice Cracker’ was ‘Fireman Sam’ (chosen by a young lad that Anneka had met during the week in the supermarket) which I thought was rather ironic given that in the news that morning it was reported that the emergency service concerned had just gone back to work following a resent strike concerning attempts to raise the pension age.

In my opinion this was a far better, more polished enjoyable two hours worth of early Saturday morning Radio 2 listening (that rushed by very quickly) than last week which might have come from Anneka sitting in for Vanessa Feltz on the weekday 5.00am to 6.30am slot last week. I expected that she might have seemed somewhat drained from atypical additional presenting but if anything IMO she was better than ever. There was also the brief chat with Richard Allinson ten minutes before going on air (I usually catch the last half hour of Richard’s show (shame he’s not on at better time like for example 8.00pm weekdays)). I liked hearing about the time they spent at the Radio 2 ‘Children In Need’ lunch during last week where Richard made the mistake of wearing a white suit and is now waiting to get it back from the dry cleaners for obvious reasons!

also... on the same dog related theme, I liked this clipping from yesterday's 'The Times' newspaper
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z152/saraht1102/PB019232_zps4c96f851.jpg
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:12 pm

Another great 'forgotten 80s' show last night on Absolute 80s, don't know how I have managed before discovering this DAB radio station.

Amongst the gems on offer that I was particularly pleased to hear were 'Five get Excited' (by The Housemartins), 'Take That Situation' (by Nick Heywood), 'Visions In Blue' (by Ultravox), the last one I feel pretty sure like Matthew Rudd said is a single that sadly gets very little airplay nowerdays, a shame really because I think it is a particularly strong song. Finishing off the two hour show (Sunday's 7-9pm) was 'Change Your Mind', that one off single by Bill Sharp and Gary Numan, great use of synths on that song, I've got an extended remix on audio cassette somewhere, shame it hasn't found its way (unless anyone knows different) onto a various artists CD release.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:56 am

Sarah "Five Get Excited" sounds like a typical Housemartins joke about Enid Blyton.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Another top notch 'Forgotten 80s' last night and I jotted down what for me were a few song highlights...

Imagination - Flashback
Adam & The Ants - Young Parisians (sorry DJ Matthew but you are wrong in assuming that it came from the marvelous 'Dirk Wears White Sox LP)
Arcadia - The Promise (how often do you hear any of the their singles on the radio nowerdays???)
Thompsn Twins - King For A Day
BA Robinson - Coll in the Kaftan

definitely mood enhancing tunes for me! =D
sarah t

Next

Return to General discussion