Radio - what's your listening pleasure?...

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re: Radio - what's your listening pleasure?...

Postby sarah t » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:42 pm

One track I hadn't heard for years but cropped up on 'Forgotten 80s' last night was 'Throw Away The Key' by Linx... what a great feel good song!!! =D
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:39 pm

Another mighty fine 'Forgotten 80s' show last night, I particularly liked the tracks by Sisters of Mercy, ZZ Top and The Jets but stand out tracks for me were undoubtedly Limahl with 'Only For Love' and Dramatis with 'Love Needs No Disguise', the latter I hadn't heard for ages. Cracking good 'nobody's diary' entries this week, a couple of good songs I hadn't heard before from bands/artists whom went on the tours with the big bands, did all the interviews etc but failed to make any chart impact.
:)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 pm

sarah t wrote:Another mighty fine 'Forgotten 80s' show last night, I particularly liked the tracks by Sisters of Mercy, ZZ Top and The Jets but stand out tracks for me were undoubtedly Limahl with 'Only For Love' and Dramatis with 'Love Needs No Disguise', the latter I hadn't heard for ages. Cracking good 'nobody's diary' entries this week, a couple of good songs I hadn't heard before from bands/artists whom went on the tours with the big bands, did all the interviews etc but failed to make any chart impact.

That reminds me of Blair, a band that did the warm up for some of the Octopus tour gigs in 1995. Never heard of them since but they weren't bad.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:22 pm

Listening to the news this morning on BBC Radio 2 and obviously the storm lashing the south coast but it was particularly noteworthy to me personally when they started to mention about Milford-On-Sea. I’ve been down there on my bicycle a few times, a great route past Beaulieu and Lymington particularly in high summer so when they were saying about stones being picked up by strong winds and crashing into/breaking windows of a nearby restaurant I know exactly where they mean. It’s quite a posh looking establishment which I think seems rather out of place and completely isolated where it is next to the long slightly raised single pathway out towards Hurst Castle, standing on which looking out to sea you can see the Needles as the edge of the Isle of Wight.. Lots of loose shingle along the path which starts pretty much opposite said restaurant. Very sad situation but I can entirely visualise just what dreadful conditions must be down there recently.

On to happier matters and Anneka Rice was highly topical today as she bagged an interview with Lizzie Yarnold, the sportslady whom had just secured a Gold medal at the Winter Olympics yesterday in what seems like a rather bizarre, physically challenging event. In the last half hour of this morning’s show Anneka spoke with a mother and daughter listener surprisingly from Southampton whom had requested ‘Champion The Wonder Horse’ as part of the ‘Rice Cracker’ (junior choice track) feature. Next we had a couple more Southampton listeners mentioned for calling in and then, amazingly (because it seems extremely rare that they are featured by Anneka) the penultimate track played was Human League’s ‘Don’t You Want Me?’, fantastic and put me in a perfect frame of mind for the day ahead!
=D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:05 pm

Lizzie Yarnold competes in the skeleton, an event that started out as a few bobsleighers sliding down one of the runs on tea trays for a bit of fun.
SubHuman

Postby Aylett 67 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:26 pm

For me, in the car and at weekends Radio 2, but on my DAB radio I also like Absolute 80s, Planet Rock, Smooth and sometimes 5 Live. Don't bother with the local station, CFM Radio, as it is absolute dross and full of X Factor gossip. When In London, I like Heart and in Newcastle, Real Radio.
I do remember living in Sheffield and listening to Radio Hallam a fair bit and they had a major piece of breaking news. Expecting something like Thatch resigning, instead the newsflash was something more pleasurable, the Human League had got to number one in America with Human. Nice one and it showed how much the band was liked in the city.
Aylett 67

Postby sarah t » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Beginning to feel that I need a 'pen and paper' at standby when listening to Sunday evenings 'Forgotten 80s' to note down great tracks that I'd never heard of/forgotten about and want to check out on YouTube or praise here on forum.

From last night I particularly liked hearing

Japan - European Son
Vision - Love Dance (an entry from the 'nobody's diary' feature) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnLzDD4gGp4
Motorhead/Girls School - Please Don't Touch
Hazel O'Connor - Breaking Glass
The Cure - The Walk (remix)
=D
sarah t

Postby Aylett 67 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:08 pm

I used to like Metro in Newcastle in the eighties as it's mixture of new music, golden oldies, local information and phone ins was top class. In Cumbria all we had was Radio 1 on medium wave and Metro had the added bonus of being in stereo.
Aylett 67

Postby amyjade456_ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:21 pm

radio 2, free radio (Coventry and Warwickshire) , and, of course, absolute 80s
'love me well or love me badly do you have to love me madly?'
amyjade456_

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:08 pm

Just email Anneka with the following...

Hello Anneka

Another great packed show as always this morning with good music, pleasant chat and plenty of regular features. However I was wondering if it might perhaps be worth adding to ‘pause for thought’, ‘the wedding list’, ‘what do you know it came from a show’, rice cracker’ and ‘get up and go’ track items with a ‘mystery song’ feature.

Knowing what a fine job your producer Julie does in researching for the show she might be able to offer up four song identity related questions asked after each news bulletin. You could make these all easy, all hard or perhaps progressively easy with the song eventually being revealed when it is played between the ‘rice cracker’ and final sixties themed song of the show leading into Brian Matthews 60s show following after the 8.00am news bulletin. You can invite listeners to contact the show with answers to the questions, anyone whom gets all four right (either mentioned on the following show or on the website) has the chance to win one of those rarest of things… a Radio 2 tea towel which looks pretty impressive from the pic on your website. I don’t know what the deal is with this item, maybe you have a very small supply but at present rarely does a listener do anything worthy of being offered one.

Just to give you an idea here are four sample questions, the answers and ultimately the ‘mystery song’ that connects them…

1. Which band member formerly worked as a hospital porter? (answer Phil Oakey)
2. What was the name of the album from which this song comes from? (answer Dare!)
3. This group went on to work with legendary record producers Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis in 1986? (answer The Human League)
4. A Christmas number one from the early 80s, which football team has helped to give it new chart success recently? (Aberdeen)
Song identity – The Human League – ‘Don’t You Want Me’

Don’t know if this is something that you might be interested in introducing however if you ‘like the cut of my jib’ and think it is a good idea you’d like to use could I be cheeky and ask if I you pop a tea towel and possibly a signed photo into the post here at 'home address supplied'

Keep up the good presenting work on Saturday mornings!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:28 pm

With, for me, a better than usual playlist plus usual features and chat the two hours of Anneka’s Radio 2 breakfast show this morning rushed by very fast. There is one worthy memorable point to mention from this weeks show as our regular Saturday DJ related how she was invited back to slip on a jumpsuit and jump in a helicopter once more by ITV whom have an upcoming show focusing on popular television game shows of the past. There was one very touching aspect to this as Anneka mentioned that her pilot on this occasion was Keith, the chap whom was behind the controls during the original ‘Treasure Hunt’ series and was making his final flight before retiring as he reaches the age of 60 the following day (didn’t know it was against the law to fly beyond this age). Hope I get to see this most likely it will be via You Tube or perhaps it will be available on the ITV’s version of iPlayer?
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat May 17, 2014 1:27 pm

Been advertised a lot during the week, Sunday 18th May 2014 at 9.00pm has DAB radio station Aboslute 80s focusing on classic album 'The Lexicon of Love' through conversation with ABC frontman Martin Fry. Should be a good listen if not live then perhaps it will be on their website. Seems like there are a few good interesting interview snippets on offer but length wise, as far as I can see, nothing too long. Must check out the Alison Moyet interview at some point.

Surprised there is fairly little talk of 'Sounds of the 80s', the once weekly BBC Radio 2 show presented by Sara Cox here on the forum. As usual with the Beeb you can either hear it live or on radio iplayer at a more convenient time. Personally I'm not sure if it is such a good show but perhaps someone here is a bit more informed and is willing to offer praise. IMO today's show ain't got that good a guest, just one of the singers from 80s band Five Star, not a group I'm overly fond of. Saw them on TV on the 'Rewind Festival' recently and didn't really get the audience too enthusastic about their performance.
sarah t

Postby Aylett 67 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:24 pm

I really enjoy Absolute 80s, being a product of that era, and in the car and at weekends it's mostly Radio 2. The local independent station, CFM, is garbage, they seem to play the most predictable songs( Robbie Williams is always on) and witter on endlessly about the X Factor. The BBC alternative, Radio Cumbria, is better and very good for local news and travel, if a bit parochial. When I lived in Sheffield in the eighties, Hallam used to be good.
Aylett 67

Postby sarah t » Sat May 31, 2014 12:34 pm

I thought it good that Anneka (Rice) said that David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes is one of her favourite songs of all time, that coupled with playing Kraftwerk's 'The Model' seems to indicate that there is some good 80s interest from this DJ.

Whilst on the subject of radio, might be worth checking out 'Sounds of the 80s' tonight on Radio 2 (10pm-12am or on BBCiPlayer) as Sara Cox's guest this week is Heaven 17 frontman Glenn Gregory.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:27 pm

I feel at bit disappointed/let down by last nights 'Forgotten 80s' as it fell well short of the two hours it usually fills on a Sunday evening. It finished off eighteen minutes short... have they run out of songs or did Matthew (Rudd) just wanted an early night??? =(
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:40 pm

For me Saturday mornings with Radio 2 have become rather a regular feature and occasionally there is a week when I really feel that they ‘knock it out of the park’ with great chat and mood enhancing excellent tracks. Such is the case today starting off with the usual pleasing light hearted witty banter of Richard Allenson from when I switched on at 5.15am, I liked hearing Kate Bush with ‘Babooska’. I thought Anneka Rice was on top form today (6.00am – 8.00am) with so many great songs on offer. Let’s name check Kim Carnes (Bette Davis Eyes), ZZ Top (‘Gimme All Your Loving’), The Pretenders (‘Don’t Get Me Wrong’), Pulp (‘Common People’), Blondie (‘Denise’) and Madonna (‘Vogue’).

What I really love about radio is what I feel is the totally unique immediate interaction with the public. As an example Anneka received a text from adults on a long car trip (6.23am) about their children playing up. An hour later our lady DJ phoned them up and talked to said children to further pacify the unruly youngsters. The Blondie tune was part of the new ‘fourplay’ feature where listeners are played intros to four tunes (one each from the 70s, 80s, 90s & 00s) and chose which one to play in future.

When you listen to a DJ on a regular basis I think they become like ‘your best friend coming round for a chat’ and you’ll forgive them if they occasionally play a tune you don’t particularly like. Another Radio 2 DJ whom I have definitely warmed to is Jo Wiley (four nights a week from 8.00pm) with regular features like ‘what we’ve learned today’ and ‘family fortunes’ where each night one of the family talk with Jo and select a tune for her to play.

All good stuff that makes me smile and feel happier about life in general which I guess is what radio, and in particular music radio is all about!
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:47 pm

Good to hear ABC song 'SOS' on Forgotten 80s last night and I like having two songs played 'back-to-back' before Matthew tells us his research details and thanks to whomever requested said track.
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:09 pm

For me three great songs one-after-another just after 8.00pm last night on 'Forgotten 80s'... namely Bucks Fizz (My Camera Never Lies), The Beat (Mirror In The Bathroom) and OMD (Genetic Engineering).

Good timing to have something from The Beat on this marvellous Absolute 80s DAB radio program as I have just ordered...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beat-Concert-Royal-Festival-Hall/dp/B0007Q6R0Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1416225900&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Beat

Oh yeah also liked the songs from Siouxsie & The Bandshees (Wheels On Fire) and Depeche Mode (just how often to you get to hear The Meaning of Love on radio nowerdays)
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:22 pm

I thought that the Beat were very under rated at the time. Are they still around?
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 am

SubHuman wrote:I thought that the Beat were very under rated at the time. Are they still around?

This Wikipedia page tells you all you need to know plus the excellent news that there will be a fourth studio album next year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beat_(British_band)
sarah t

Postby sarah t » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:12 pm

I felt it was a rather ‘mixed bag’ type of Anneka Rice Saturday morning Radio 2 breakfast show this morning. Great as always to hear Human League’s ‘Don’t You Want Me’ followed by the Michael Jackson tune ‘Black or White’ at 7.10am and just after 7.30am there was the marvellous Back To The Future film tune ‘The Power of Love’ by H. Lewis and the News :) but I personally hated Queen (‘A kind of Magic’), Proclaimers and the new version of the Band Aid song =( the last one thankfully was the second song on the show but thankfully I could drown it out because I was in the bathroom with water running. I thought it was a very enjoyable ‘junior choice’ Rice Cracker this morning around 7.45am with Peter Sellers and Sophie Loren as respectively an Indian Doctor and his patient which I hadn’t heard before. A good first song, Phil Collins with ‘Two Hearts’ is a good toe-tapping tune and last offering being, appropriately with such a lot of most welcome sunshine and blue skies on offer, U2 with ‘Beautiful Day’ Thankfully, which matters to me, is it wasn’t not overly seasonally slushy as that is not what I personally listen to radio for.

I’ll try and get through the next two hour show on 6th December as I do enjoy Anneka’s chat and regular features which is for me usually a positive way to get Saturday started. As usual I will then skip the next couple of Saturdays (CD/audio cassette music as a temporary replacement) to return on 27th December which I am sure will be recorded but hopefully we should be getting back to normal at that point.
:/
sarah t

Postby Hoops » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:17 pm

The only "radio" station I listen to is the internet radio station SomaFM (link) - they have an eclectic mix of channels, including Underground 80s that often features THL. In their own words, it's "listener-supported, commercial-free, underground/alternative radio broadcasting from San Francisco" and I love it =D My favourate channels are Space Station Soma, Deep space One and Underground 80s.
Hoops

Postby sarah t » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I think it is impressive and surprising that tomorrow nights 'Forgotten 80s' show (19th April 2015) presented by Matthew Rudd will be DAB radio station Absolute 80s 100th edition. As he has said live only once, on a Sunday night 7.00pm-9.00pm but now apparently available on the internet to be listened to anytime. Add in Facebook, Twitter and Spotify this is one show that is totally 21st century despite the focused 80s music. Long may it continue! =D
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:34 am

Good that you're still enjoying Abs 80s, I listen occasionally but find the constant adverts a bit wearing.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:55 am

Listen to Abs 80s Radio quite a lot at the moment, mainly in the car but occasionally at home. It was good this evening with 'Aint No Body by Rufus and Chaka Khan and lots more besides - Freedom by Wham! at the moment. But I had to turn Drive by the Cars off, just can't listen to that sort of song right now.
Last edited by SubHuman on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SubHuman

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion