Most Over Rated (IMO)

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Re:

Postby dbutler69 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Prof Luni wrote:Music - The Rolling Stones, Coldplay, Adele, Oasis... I could go on!
Films - Anything by Quentin Tarantino surely to god is totally over-rated. Michael 'my name is Michael Caine' Caine.

Hmm, yeah, good point about Tarantino. Why didn't I think of that?
dbutler69

Re: Most Over Rated (IMO)

Postby dbutler69 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:51 pm

Aylett 67 wrote:In terms of musicians, Bruce Bloody Springsteen, a boring American whose Born in the USA must be the most moronic song of the eighties.

Not necessarily defending Springsteen here, but you do realize that Born in the USA is ironic, right? It's about a man sent off to fight in a war he didn't believe in (Vietnam) and his disillusionment upon returning home. It's not the flag waving anthem that most people think it it.
dbutler69

Postby Stig Olsen » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:03 pm

dbutler69 wrote:Not necessarily defending Springsteen here, but you do realize that Born in the USA is ironic, right? It's about a man sent off to fight in a war he didn't believe in (Vietnam) and his disillusionment upon returning home. It's not the flag waving anthem that most people think it it.
However ironic it is, the lyrics and the irony within does NOT in any way take away the pain of hearing him screaming "boooooooooorn in the USAaaayaa..." 250 times in that song. He is annoying!
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Postby dbutler69 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:
dbutler69 wrote:Not necessarily defending Springsteen here, but you do realize that Born in the USA is ironic, right? It's about a man sent off to fight in a war he didn't believe in (Vietnam) and his disillusionment upon returning home. It's not the flag waving anthem that most people think it it.
However ironic it is, the lyrics and the irony within does NOT in any way take away the pain of hearing him screaming "boooooooooorn in the USAaaayaa..." 250 times in that song. He is annoying!

True.
dbutler69

Postby Danny C » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:59 pm

dbutler69 wrote:
Aylett 67 wrote:In terms of musicians, Bruce Bloody Springsteen, a boring American whose Born in the USA must be the most moronic song of the eighties.

Not necessarily defending Springsteen here, but you do realize that Born in the USA is ironic, right? It's about a man sent off to fight in a war he didn't believe in (Vietnam) and his disillusionment upon returning home. It's not the flag waving anthem that most people think it it.

It's been pointed out to them already.

This thread is basically: pick something awesome, and construct a specious argument as to why it's not actually awesome. You seem to have got the hang of it by dissing the Godfather ;)
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby cs15 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:34 pm

JJ wrote:Heresy. I could (and do) watch the first two multiple times. Don't care overly for the third one, admittedly. But 1 and 2 are amazing.

I don't know why but I've never seen any of those 3 movies. I love film but these just passed me by. I only watched the original Star Wars movies recently too and thought 'what's the fuss?' but I can see that back in the 70's they might have been mildly entertaining.
cs15

Postby cs15 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Stig Olsen wrote:However ironic it is, the lyrics and the irony within does NOT in any way take away the pain of hearing him screaming "boooooooooorn in the USAaaayaa..." 250 times in that song. He is annoying!

Night People. Night night people. Night people. Night night people. Night people no the night people no. Night people. Night night people.
Night People. Night night people. Night people. Night night people. Night people no the night people no. Night people. Night night people.

There is a place, the night people go:

:O
cs15

Postby SubHuman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:22 am

Springsteen is so far up his own arse it's amazing he hasn't actually disappeared.

There must be dozens of artists who are either better singers, or musicians or both and that's without leaving the category of White American males.
SubHuman

Postby Stig Olsen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 am

cs15 wrote: Night people. :O
fair point, not exactly my favourite lyric either, but the big difference here being, Oakey sings it clean and is far better looking! :p
□□□ http://www.humanleague.dk □□□
Stig Olsen

Previous

Return to General discussion