Most Over Rated (IMO)

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Postby Prof Luni » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:42 pm

Music - The Rolling Stones, Coldplay, Adele, Oasis... I could go on!
Films - Anything by Quentin Tarantino surely to god is totally over-rated. Michael 'my name is Michael Caine' Caine.
Prof Luni

Postby Pauline » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:17 pm

Ant & Dec. They're a bit funny, sometimes, but, come on...............
...more firey than the sun...
Pauline

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:03 pm

The most overrated politician? Well we're spoilt for choice here, but I have to go for Winston Churchill: an egotistical, racist, interfering bigot.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Pauline wrote:Ant & Dec. They're a bit funny, sometimes, but, come on...............

Ant and Dec must surely be the comedy equivalent of Chas and Dave.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 am

Most overrated conservative politician (You can guess the rest).
SubHuman

Re:

Postby Shockozulu » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:30 am

Pauline wrote:
cs15 wrote:
Pauline wrote:The Beatles, The Stones, Bowie. Yawn.

Bowie? As in David? No. Surely you jest?

Yup, that very guy.

I don't mind him, i like his 80s pop stuff, and don't mind some of his older stuff, but the hype is AAARGGGHHHHHHHHHH

Like Depeche Mode..... it doesn't matter what they put out, the die hards won't hear a word said against them, the hype is HUGE, but, come on.........

Big DM fan and Violater is so overrated. It plays to me of a Greatest Hits album, a genre I find overrated as well.

Non Music? The iPhone. I had one and the fact I can't expand my memory alone was really irritating. I returned it for another Android and slid my old SD card back in. The was all my music and no hastle.
Shockozulu

Re: Most Over Rated (IMO)

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 am

I've still got my Iphone, I agree about the nuisance of not being able to add more memory, but I just love how easy it is to use. Just got and Ipad mini for Xmas, I'm still finding my way around this, but it's better for my tired old eyes, when I'm surfing the net, than the Iphone.

Back on topic: most over rated thing about Xmas, manic flashing outdoor lights, some of these are just irritating others make me feel sick, literally.
SubHuman

Postby Aylett 67 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:44 pm

Football, I come from the North East originally and really can't see why so many of my compatriots get so excited about an extremely dull game that involves a ball being kicked between two nets for 90 minutes and where often there's no score. Also the tribalism and fascist style hatred this sport encourages makes me sick and growing up in the eighties, the hooligan issue was a serious problem that no other sport attracted.
In terms of sports I think are overhyped, apart from football, rugby league is fairly gross, a group of steroid abusers knocking each other about( I live in Whitehaven and the game has quite a big following), Formula 1 is just a load of noise and cars doing the same thing for two hours, and darts is, well, a pub game.
However, I do love both types of the olympics.
Aylett 67

Postby Aylett 67 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:27 pm

In terms of musicians, Bruce Bloody Springsteen, a boring American whose Born in the USA must be the most moronic song of the eighties. Also don't get me started on U2 and Saint Bono, well known tax dodger and hypocrite who drones on about saving the planet and travels by jet everywhere and seems to be spend money on his favourite charity, himself.
The Human League have their critics, mostly people who don't like their music, which fair enough we all have different tastes, but I suppose should you accidentally bump into them in Sheffield, where they are proud to live, then at least they would give you the time of day. I could imagine getting a karate kick to the head by one of Bono's heavies should you even get close.
Aylett 67

Postby SubHuman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:40 am

Nice one Aylett 67. Agree about Bruce, I like some of U2's music but Bono is a prize chump with an ego the size of Jupiter, ditto Sting.
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:55 pm

Aylett 67 wrote:In terms of musicians, Bruce Bloody Springsteen, a boring American whose Born in the USA must be the most moronic song of the eighties.

Or, in other words, you don't understand it.

With that said, there is so much plain wrong in this thread, it feels a little unfair singling you out here.
Founder of the Human League Internet Community (1997)
Danny C

Postby sarah t » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:22 pm

Aylett 67 wrote:In terms of musicians, Bruce Bloody Springsteen, a boring American whose Born in the USA must be the most moronic song of the eighties.

yep I also agree with you there must have taken a very long time to write? :lol:
sarah t

Postby Danny C » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:28 pm

There is no hope for this species, none at all...
Danny C

Postby Aylett 67 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:35 pm

SubHuman wrote:Nice one Aylett 67. Agree about Bruce, I like some of U2's music but Bono is a prize chump with an ego the size of Jupiter, ditto Sting.

Sting, that well known practitioner of tantric sex and so called saviour of the rain forest. Mind you he's tame compared to Bono, whose hypocrisy and tax evasion is well known.
Aylett 67

Postby SubHuman » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:50 am

Aylett 67 wrote:
SubHuman wrote:Nice one Aylett 67. Agree about Bruce, I like some of U2's music but Bono is a prize chump with an ego the size of Jupiter, ditto Sting.

Sting, that well known practitioner of tantric sex and so called saviour of the rain forest. Mind you he's tame compared to Bono, whose hypocrisy and tax evasion is well known.

Don't get fooled by those on this forum who confuse opinion with fact!
SubHuman

Postby Danny C » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:07 pm

I don't think anyone here is confusing opinion with fact. The confusion seems to be with those who think all opinions are valid.

After all, "Dogshit is tasty" and "Scarlett Johansson is a beautiful woman" are both opinions, but only a fool would think those opinions have equal merit.

Anyway, enough from me; you can get back to your dogshit sandwiches now.
Danny C

Postby Aylett 67 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:06 pm

It has to be Ant and Dec, some people compare them to Morecambe and Wise, but it's like comparing a Fiat Panda to a Ferrari. Saturday Night Takeaway is just low brow trash worthy of ITV, I'm A Celebrity is just a tired out reality show that is no better than Big Brother and Red or Black was woeful drivel. Britain's Got Talent is bearable, but it's really just a 21st century version of Opportunity Knocks.
Aylett 67

Postby Danny C » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:29 am

I'd say Ant & Dec are more over-exposed than over-rated. They are the best double act on British television, which admittedly, is more a damning indictment of British television than anything else.

But now, you have touched on something that is genuinely over-rated: Morecambe & Wise. And that goes double for Vic & Bob, the feeble Morecambe & Wise tribute act on psilocybin. And don't get me started on Only Fools & Horses.
Danny C

Postby Aylett 67 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:49 pm

Danny C wrote:I'd say Ant & Dec are more over-exposed than over-rated. They are the best double act on British television, which admittedly, is more a damning indictment of British television than anything else.

But now, you have touched on something that is genuinely over-rated: Morecambe & Wise. And that goes double for Vic & Bob, the feeble Morecambe & Wise tribute act on psilocybin. And don't get me started on Only Fools & Horses.

Vic and Bob were never that good. OFAH was good until they decided to milk it with endless Christmas revivals.
Aylett 67

Postby Aylett 67 » Sat May 03, 2014 7:13 pm

Oasis, the ultimate in boring, laddish indie rock, and don't get me started on The Stone Roses, scruffy looking bores who made watching paint dry exciting.
Aylett 67

Postby Harry » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:01 pm

Yeah, agree with the person saying Winston Churchill. He's often voted as the greatest Briton there's ever been and yet when you look into what he stood for it's quite shocking - for example he didn't want Woman to have the vote, he was against the NHS, when Welsh miners went on strike he wanted them shot etc.
I think Pink Floyd and Genesis are both a bit over rated.
I love Elvis, Bowie, and The Beatles though.
A lot of writers like Martin Amis, Howard Jacobson, Will Self aren't the geniuses some people make them out to be.
There are loads of films that people say are great but aren't really - "The Queen" with Helen Mirren.
Whenever Bob Dylan or Paul Weller release an album critics give it 5 stars and say "it's a staggering return to form" but they're never that good.
The Human League are under rated?
Harry

Previous

Return to General discussion