Sport General

Use this area for general discussion of all things non-music related, including TV, film, news, sport etc

Sport General

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:13 am

Thought it might be useful to have this topic as a thread, particularly as Chris Froome is doing a great job of leading the Sky Pro-Cycling Team in Le Tour d'France at the moment.

Chris is the bookies favourite to win this year's race having done a fantastic super domestique job for Bradley Wiggins last year, when it looked as if he could have won himself. This year the roles should have been reversed but Bradley had to retire from this years Giro with flu from which he hasn't yet full recovered. Still the rest of the Sky Team, especially Richie Porte, are doing a great job supporting Chris Froome who is leading the le tour this year by 1m 25. There is however a long way to go.
SubHuman

Re: Sport General

Postby SubHuman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:35 pm

More action from le tour today.
It should have been a good day for British sprinter Mark Cavendish but his lead out train got swamped in the final 5 km and Kittel scored a spectacular win beating Greipel by a fractional of a wheel's diameter. Cavendish gave up on the sprint after clashing with another rider who had partially blocked him and who went down. It remains to be seen if Cavendish will be given some sort of penalty for causing the crash. The EuroSport commentators weren't certain that a penalty would be applied.
Tomorrow is a time trial which is the sport cycling equivalent of watching paint dry so I shan't be seeing that, I will however check up on the result.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:57 am

Personally I prefer doing rather than watching cycling but certainly wish Chris well in the current Tour d'France which is being covered heavily by ITV4 at present
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 am

Chris Froome extended his lead over the other GC men today in the time trial. It's now 3m 25s, there is still a long way to go but it's looking good for him at the moment.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:16 am

It's an interesting Tour d'France at the moment. Kittel again won the stage yesterday beating Cavendish in a straight forward sprint for the line. Chris Froome consolidated this lead over his nearest rival Valverde. Today Cavendish won the sprint after Kittel and his team where caught out by a split in the peleton. Froome lost some time to Contador but Valverde lost out big time being caught out by the peleton split.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:59 pm

We've had some amazing stages on the last two days, with Trentin from Omega-Pharma-Quickstep winning from the breakaway group on Saturday. This was followed by Chris Froome demolishing the opposition yesterday to win the stage on the long climb up Mont Ventox. I'm always saddened when the tour visits Mont Ventox, as this is the mountain were a hero of my teens, Tommy Simpson, died from heat exhaustion, exacerbated by drugs, during the 1967 tour.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:40 pm

As expect this year le tour was won by Chris Froome, after more epic cycling over the last few days. The Sky Team did a fantastic job of supporting Chris, Richie Porte in particular. The final stage into Paris was won my Kittel in a photo finish from Mark Cavendish and Greipel.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:12 am

pleased you enjoyed Tour De France. Shame on one else here seemed as enthusastic to offer an opinion/take an interest. Yes it is a great achievement by Chris Froome and the Sky Team and I appreciate that there is a television audience worthy of live ITV4 coverage but it does not exactly 'float my boat'... the nearest my interest comes is that marvellous 'Tour De France Soundtrack' album by Kraftwerk!
;)
sarah t

Postby JJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:23 pm

Sarah - the post to which you replied was a spammer, hence now deleted.

Re your comment about interest, personally I love many types of sport, but the TDF is only memorable for me because of the song, not the event - whenever I've watched it I've found myself flicking away quickly. In any case, it's on at stupid o'clock here anyway.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby sarah t » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:27 pm

hopefully now that Tour De France has finished maybe other sports might feature in this thread as I think SubHuman originally intended.
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:59 pm

sarah t wrote:hopefully now that Tour De France has finished maybe other sports might feature in this thread as I think SubHuman originally intended.

Probably nothing from me until the Alpine Skiing starts in October!
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:47 am

The Alpine Skiing World Cup competitions are starting this weekend in Solden Austria. It's the womens giant slalom today and the mens giant slolom tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted about the outcome.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:38 pm

SubHuman wrote:The Alpine Skiing World Cup competitions are starting this weekend in Solden Austria. It's the womens giant slalom today and the mens giant slolom tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted about the outcome.

ignoring the typos ;) any British interest or don't we in this country fair well in this???
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 am

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:The Alpine Skiing World Cup competitions are starting this weekend in Solden Austria. It's the womens giant slalom today and the mens giant slolom tomorrow. I'll keep you all posted about the outcome.

ignoring the typos ;) any British interest or don't we in this country fair well in this???

We don't do well in this, a slight lack of suitable training venues in the UK.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:25 am

Forgot to post this, the results of the Men and Ladies GS ski competitions at Solden:

a. Ladies:-
1. Lara Gut - Swiss
2. Kathrin Zettel - Austrian
3. Viktoria Rabensburg - German

b. Men:-
1. Ted Ligety - American
2. Alexis Pinturault - French
3. Marcel Hirscher - Austrian

There's a slalom event on this week end at Levi Finland.
SubHuman

Postby SubHuman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Lots of Alpine ski action this weekend: Ladies Downhill from Beaver Creek US yesterday (won I think by Lara Gut), Ladies Super G from same venue today, Mens Downhill from Lake Louise Canada today, Mens Super G Lake Louise and Ladies GS Beaver Creek tomorrow.
SubHuman

Postby StevieD » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:17 pm

I have done the downhill at beaver creek. Flipping steep and full of ice when I did it. I had to put a couple of turns in in the way down.
StevieD

Postby SubHuman » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:45 pm

I've been so busy in December not had time to post anything in this thread. There has been some fantastic Alpine skiing so sometime next week I'll post the overall competition standings.
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:42 pm

SubHuman wrote:I've been so busy in December not had time to post anything in this thread. There has been some fantastic Alpine skiing so sometime next week I'll post the overall competition standings.

Perhaps you are interested in the Winter Olympics that is apparently just getting underway at the moment?
sarah t

Postby SubHuman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:43 pm

sarah t wrote:
SubHuman wrote:I've been so busy in December not had time to post anything in this thread. There has been some fantastic Alpine skiing so sometime next week I'll post the overall competition standings.

Perhaps you are interested in the Winter Olympics that is apparently just getting underway at the moment?

Will be once they start although only the alpine skiing really, and defo not the ice dancing. It's so camp!
SubHuman

Postby sarah t » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:35 pm

Just took a look over on the BBC website, regarding the Winter Olympics and yeah I guess they were right in saying that Elise Christie caused that accident but were they right in the harsh penalty? Conditions were worse than the competitors were expecting maybe??

Elise Christie missed out on an Olympic medal after receiving a penalty as the women's 500m short track final descended into chaos at Sochi 2014.

Christie, Italy's Arianna Fontana and South Korea's Park Seung-hi collided early in the race.
sarah t

Postby Aylett 67 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:36 pm

Well done to Lizzy Yarnold today, I've been quite enjoying the games this time? For once it makes a change from a ball being kicked between two nets.
Aylett 67

Postby SubHuman » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:08 am

It's the Paris Nice pro-tour race this week, the first stage was won by Bouhanni followed by Degenkolb and Meersman in a sprint finish. There's no Richie Port as he has been switched to fill Chris Froome's place in the Adriatico. I hope Froome's back injury doesn't keep him out of this year's Tour de France.
SubHuman

Postby JJ » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:46 am

Aylett 67 wrote:Well done to Lizzy Yarnold today

The Mervyn after whom her frame is named is Mervyn Sugden. I know Mervyn very well as I worked with him for 15 years at the Hardy Syndicate in Lloyd's, and until April when my sister arrives, he remains the only person that has come to visit me in Australia since I left London five and a half years ago. He is a very kind hearted guy, and I'm totally thrilled for him that he got some pretty wide recognition for his typical generosity. He's absolutely one of the nicest people you could ever meet, and helped me tremendously in my career.
Well who's that shouting? John, ex-Moderator - all he ever gives us is pain!
JJ

Postby SubHuman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:27 am

More from Paris Nice: stage 2 was won by Hofland with Degenkolb second and Bouhanni third; stage 3 was won by Degenkolb with Goss second and Rojas third. The overall positions are 1) Degenkolb, 2) Bouhanni, 3) Hofland, there are only seconds between the top five and up until now all of the, predominantly flat, stages have been won by sprinters. This should change today when it gets hillier. Many of the pre-race favourites are out of it after the peleton split on day one, due to an accident, and the second group lost about a minute.
SubHuman

Next

Return to General discussion